Protecting a new PC...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For protection from the nasties of the Internet then AVG, Avast or MalwareBytes are pretty good for most people, if going further away from the mainstream of reputable sites then browser plugins are a good idea such as Adblock & NoScript are going to be essential, a cookie manager is also worth having. There are some special ones that force web browsers such as FireFox to always use HTTPS connections to prevent anybody snooping on the information being passed from the PC to a website. Avoid using free proxy services to circumvent country blocks where possible and should you do then clear the browsers cache afterwards, never use them to log into a website,bank or email account. Taking these steps however will not guarantee you never get infected but they will make it more unlikely such is the ever changing threat of life online.

The rules of Backup:
4 backups per year/month/week/day or even hour depending upon how often new information is added.
3 copies of the data. Because sh#t happens.
2 differrent formats - CD/DVD, Memory stick, external Hard Disc Drive, email / cloud storage, printed hardcopy.
1 to be kept off-site - Memory stick on a keyring, 'the cloud', shed at the bottom of the garden. Anywhere except next to the PC.

Plenty of free software that will automate the process and for a home setup I would recomend something like B-Cup though not tried it on Win8 yet but should be ok. It can be set to mirror the entire PC or just specific folders & files at periodic intervals.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Another great bit of software for browsers is Ghostery - I use it as an add-on to Firefox. It basically blocks all the trackers and the like on websites that you visit. The results might surprise you!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net

He makes a very good point, the general acceptance of closed/proprietary standards for documents has already been discussed in parliament with a move to the Open Document Foundations ODT format for text to protect ongoing digitised Hansard records, for example, as opposed to the closed Microsoft XML format (although more open than previous Microsoft .doc format, several parts of the documentation for .docx refer, obliquely and without further qualification than 'behave as before' to the older closed .doc format).

Digital vellum, as Cerf refers to it, is a great way of protecting digital information. However, it does rely on us being able to produce wafers of Silicon in unimaginably thin tranches - even 1980s tech was down to fractions of a micron and we're into double digits of nanometres now.

Considering the efforts our antecedents went to in order to preserve information for their own (and our) betterment, carving into rock with, by modern standards, very basic tools deeply enough to resist millennia of erosion... I think we're being remarkable lax about making our current achievements more permanent.

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
I work in IT support for small business. We have customers using all the major AV and they still get viruses. I use and recomend Comodo AV, its free, serves me well, auto updates every hour and has a sandbox feature that I can run / open suspicious items in and then delete them if I find they are malware. Also run Malwarebytes.

Feb 16, 2015
Czechlands
Eset antivirus all the way... I would never use avg or microsoft se (using those is like using none)... And add comodo firewall ;-) Brilliant piece of sw

Good advice!

I may have missed it, but I didn't see Secunia Software Inspector..

With a new Windows PC, it's essential to clean out all trial ware with CCleaner so that vulnerabilites in that stuff don't pose a problem in the future,

Secunia SI will inspect current programs to make sure that they have all updates - which are usually put out due to security issues with older versions.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE