'Proper' Sleeping Bags for children?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

Chitterne

Anyone got a top tip for children's sleeping bags suitable for autumn / winter camping?

Everything I've spotted seems to be glorified sleepover kit.

Grateful for any pointers.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Vaude produces some children sized sleeping bags. It certainly is a decent outdoor brand, but I have no clue how warm these will be...

Did look into this for my 4 year old, last year when we took him camping in Norway. Can't remember the brand (which is not very useful!) but came across one main stream company, which made decent kids bags which were extendable with a zip in foot section, making them still suitable as they grow further.
In the end these were too pricey and we just got him a really quite good little kids bag from Decathalon, which he loves, only rated for 5C, but he actually found it too warm...
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/s5-light-junior-67880351/

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm using a standard adult sleeping bag with my little one at the moment - just using a belt around the bottom, so it doesn't go way over his head and to reduce the volume inside. My logic being it's a full spec bag, rather than a lightweight kiddie version (albeit one of my old cast offs) and as he gets bigger we can just move the belt down, until eventually he doesn't need it or needs a new bag anyway.

I'm using a standard adult sleeping bag with my little one at the moment - just using a belt around the bottom, so it doesn't go way over his head and to reduce the volume inside. My logic being it's a full spec bag, rather than a lightweight kiddie version (albeit one of my old cast offs) and as he gets bigger we can just move the belt down, until eventually he doesn't need it or needs a new bag anyway.

But is it still warm when its really loose and baggy (no pun intended) around him? Suppose it depends on the size of the individual kid, but could be a big air gap to try and heat up?

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I've taken all my children (ages 3 - 10) camping throughout winter and can vouch for tying off an adult bag to resize to a suitable length.

I've also taken a Children's Vango Nitestar Bag which is Ok and boosted it's performance by putting a fleece liner in it and a cheap (£5) envelope bag around it.

Tom

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It seems ok. He won't be doing four season camping just yet though - he's only three! I do think he'll be better off in the decent spec adult bag than a kiddie bag though. We're off to Cornwall camping at the weekend, so can report back.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We use an adult bag with a belt/strap round it at the appropriate length. Both use a bivi bag with the mat and bag inside, and it works fine so far..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE