Proofing a parachute canopy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was thinking of having a go, anyone have any tips?

Stuffing it into a washing machine with maybe a litre of nikwax tx wash-in is the current thinking. Scott reckons his machine is big enough.
Had a look at a couple of spray-on tent proofers but given the size of the thing it'd cost a fortune.

Not looking for waterproof, would be happy with just more showerproof.

Ta,
Josh

You'll not get much more flamable than a nylon parachute bud...that stuff dripping on you would be a nightmare in a burns unit!

Check out Thompsons website, they reccomend it for outdoor fabrics so i would'nt have thought it was anymore flamable than your parachute but i maybe wrong. I have used it in the past with no disasters yet...

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've a tin of this in the garage if you're wanting it, 5L unopened. In saying that it's only about £12. I looked into reproofing one of my jackets that was failing badly and it said on the datasheet not to use on synthetics, but it was OK for canvas etc. Maybe worth trying it on a wee corner first....

I don't think waterseal is flammable when dry, the solvent will have evap'ed but as WS says the nylon is!

Cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The stuff for fabrics(sport seal) only seems to come in little spraycans.

I get the point about the nylon but then why are the tent proofings non-flammable. Wouldn't want to take something that will burn and turn it into something that's desperate to burn. Sparks usually just melt a wee hole in the canopy.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I don't think waterseal is flammable when dry, the solvent will have evap'ed but as WS says the nylon is!

Ah, right, I get it now. :)

Like the idea, could take it out the farm, go at it with a brush and hang it from a tree to dry.

If it says not to use on synthetics though............
......hum/haw.

Years ago I knew a guy in the army who claimed their 58 poncho's were 100% waterproof even after the coating fell off the underside. I told him that was total crap as i had been using one all winter to sleep in and they got soaked through. He proved me wrong when he showed me how they did it. WD40 was sprayed over the top and insides and left to drip dry and they were waterproof as anything I've since used! It didn't say on the tin use on fabrics...:rolleyes: It's amazing what works if you experiment...

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'd be tempted to chuck it in a old bath and mix it up with a stick! :D

I also remember experimenting with airfix glue and polystyrene, that was much more fun ;) (hmm don't try this at home disclaimer here!)

Cheers,

Alan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
WD40 was sprayed over the top and insides and left to drip dry and they were waterproof as anything I've since used!

Yeah, but how long did it stink of WD40 for?
Which is another thought. How long would the smell of waterseal last considering the thing is only likely to be out for a couple of nights a month. I've used it on wood and it's not the most pleasant smell.

Good thinking Alan, there's an old bath among the ruins. :)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
How long would the smell of waterseal last considering the thing is only likely to be out for a couple of nights a month.

not as long as the smell of wodsmooke lingers (not that w00dsmoke, he's very hygenic ;)) Light a fire under it and it'll soon smell lovely and smokey.

I'd still try a wee corner first just in case, may make it brittle or something weird...:dunno:

Cheers,

Alan

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
We have used thomsons on fishing bivvys, and they are all nylon. I have to say, it will probabley make the material a little stiffer though.

Go for it, thomsons is fantastic stuf!!!

Chris

Fantastic...someone else who knows the secret of Thompsons waterseal...we have a secret handshake in B and Q at the till for those in know...

When I was a nipper we soaked our 68 patt combat jackets in the stuff and after a good airing on the line it was fine, maybe a little stiff at first but nothing outrageous in the smelly department! I think chainsaw you are bang on bud, soak it in an old tub, dry it and then let the smoke into it. It's an old parachute not a state of the art fancy tex jacket we are talking about! Get smokin!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm interested in this too Josh; I also have loads of spare rip stop that was intended to be used to repair my parachute..........far more than I'll ever need.

Would you like some to try..........spark and ember tests as well as waterproofness ??

pm and I'll send some or drop by and I'll give you some away with you.

Cheaper and easier to try out on bits of fabric than a whole 'chute. :)

cheers,
M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks Toddy but I'm going to skip it. Looks like waterseal is paraffin based and isn't that different to the way the boatbuilder in the workshop next to my dads used to proof canvas.
He'd dissolve paraffin wax in petrol then slap it on, the petrol evaporated leaving a paraffin wax residual which made for a grand waterproofing but definitely increased the combustibility.

Thanks for the suggestion Woodsmoke. I have no doubts that it'd make for far better proofing but as I said in the first post all I'm after is more showerproof.

Do prefer the idea of dipping, going to try the litre of nikwax but rather than doing it in a machine I'll just do it in a barrel. Should be able to dilute it less that way.

Gailainne

Life Member
Over on hammockforums they have been experimenting waterproofing diy ripstop tarps with bathroom silicon sealant thinned down with white spirit, that allows the silicon to impregnate the ripstop, and the white spirit evaporates. maybe worth a test ?

Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been thinking about this, the 'chute this weekend was a sodden mess by the end :(

For upholstery and the like there are commercial wash in waterproofers that are also fire retardant.........think bus and pub seat covers and curtains...........never know what'll get spilled on them and they 'have' to be fireproof.

I'm going to have a look along those lines instead of the waterproofing for jackets and the like, I only really need to slightly increase the showerproofing ability of the cloth.

I reckon a silicon proofing agent, with a fire retardant component, would do what we need. Actually, since the silicon isn't really a flammable agent anyway, it would most likely be fine on it's own.

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE