Setting up a parachute canopy shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are occasions when it is useful to protect a larger space from the worst of the weather. A surplus parachute canopy can be effectively used to make a practical and economical shelter for a workspace or camp fire area and I thought I would show you how I set mine up for the first time recently.

When you obtain them through usual sources, such canopies have often been rendered unserviceable by cutting the cords or in some cases the material itself.

Waylands_Canopy.jpg

Depending on the condition such cuts are usually quickly and easily repaired with a sewing machine which leaves you with a large amount of useful material for making a weather resistant shelter.

It is important to realise that the nylon material is not waterproof but it will tend to channel the water down the material to the lowest point which is usually round the edge. In heavy rain a certain amount will be forced through the canopy in the form of a fine spray but this does at least reduce torrential rain to a mere drizzle.

On other occasions the same shelter may provide a shady area in the heat of a summer day without blocking the light and making it difficult to work under.

Waylands_canopy_in_day.jpg

I obtained a large “Irvin” canopy that I think came from a pilots emergency ejection seat from Kev at Endicotts (No connection other than satisfied customer blah blah...) When it arrived there was a heavy net attached to the circumference which I quickly removed with a pair of sharp scissors.

The next thing I removed was the drag chute and some internal lines, connecting the outer edge to the fifth radial seam, which were designed to scallop the canopy when deployed. For my purposes they just prevented the chute from hanging properly so I cut them about six inches from the seams. I used the attached residue of these lines to make simple loops that can now be used to spread the material when the shelter is set up. The remaining spare cord was useful for setting up and I'm sure I'll find a use for the other bits too.

Waylands_canopy_at_night.jpg

To set up the shelter I used two sturdy trees either side of our intended space and a good length of strong cord. I used a catapult with a heavy hex nut to launch a thin crab line over suitable branches and then drew the heavier cord over and across the space between the trees. The cords across the air vent in the centre of the canopy were then attached to this line with a strong karabiner and hoisted up.

Catapult.jpg

To spread the material over your working space you can of course just tie it directly to suitable trees or bushes but a much better way was suggested by Steve (Mesquite). His idea was to make a perimeter line around the outside with another strong line and then attach the edges of the chute to this with lighter cord or even “bungees”. That's what I did here and it worked very well, allowing the cords to be anchored exactly where needed instead of pulling at odd angles.

In use you will find that the outer edge drips as rainwater soaks though and anything attached to the inside of the chute will make a drip point too but as these are in a fixed position they are easily avoided. The loops left on the fifth radial seam were prone to this but I am reluctant to remove them at this stage because I think they will be useful to set it up in smaller areas on other occasions.

We were working from this fixed location for just under a week which included heavy rain and hot sunshine. In both cases we found the shelter it provided very useful indeed. We did not experience much wind so cannot comment on that but my gut feeling is that it was certainly adequately secured this way to deal with normal breezy conditions, I would have to evaluate strong wind as it occurred.

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
wayland you certainly know how to do a good "wish you there photo" it looks like a awesome setup mate.
cheers ash

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Or making a shelter which is much more winter friendly

100_2966Custom-1.jpg

100_2958.jpg

100_2954.jpg

Wayland, you should find the chute gets some proofing from the wood smoke when you have used it more. My advice to all the newbies who got chutes in the recent group buy is to burn off some nice smokey wood a few times to seal the nylon.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Gary you say you have cut the netting of and I am contemplating doing the same but am
A bit hesitant cos of not knowing were the tie out strings would attach to the shute

And knowing that u have helped or more correctly shown me how to put it up would u say
That it hangs better without the netting.

Also love the set up mate it looks Ausome
Drew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The 'chute looks really good Gary. Glad the perimeter rope trick worked as well :)

I've since modded my perimeter rope by tying small loops about every 4ft to stop the bungees slipping along the rope which worked quite well. Having tried that method, I'm now thinking of undoing the loops and replacing them with paracord loops attached by prussics so I can adjust the loops to exactly where I want the bungee to be and loops aren't lost when you wrap the rope around trees. Always the way with ideas, you keep finding ways of improving them :rolleyes:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've already got some that I use if I need an extra point on my tarp.

I just think the loops on the seams are probably going to be a lot more robust and not damage the material in strong winds.

This is a seriously big chute.

Clingons are good for ading extra edge loops but if you want to add an extra loop in the middle of a panel, personally I favour a different type that I can't remember the name of right now! I think it was from a GB on here years ago. Two bits of white plastic, one a ring, the other a lug. One piece each side of the tarp and push the lug through the ring, trapping the tarp in place. A better spread of the load.

The name is going to annoy me now!!

Floranancy

Nov 11, 2011
London
This is a very unusual request and I'm sure it's not what you're used to but I would really like some more instructions on making this parachute shelter - being a total amateur I need it in the most simple terms - my fiancee's dad was a Para so we have a parachute already and I'm planning to buy a big one like the one used in the second image. I'm getting married next year and want to make a couple of Parachute shelters to hold the reception in - I need to know how you got the edge attached to form a secure circle like in the image.

If you can help in anyway that would be great!! x

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I would really like some more instructions on making this parachute shelter ...

It's easy with enough trees. Just run a length of cord, more or less horizontally, from tree to tree to tree in a (very) rough circle. The cord needs to be at a reasonable height, so you don't garrotte anyone or have them stooping too low.

The 'chute will probably have a short length of cord for every panel. Mine have been cut off at about a couple of feet so nobody can try silly things with it like jumping out of an aeroplane. Tie the short lengths to the horizontal cord where they fit best. You might need to extend a few of them. There's an atmospheric photo of one here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hydrophilous/6294939469/

Come along to a meet or try it out a couple of times for yourself so you don't make an even bigger fool of yourself on your wedding day. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE