Project Survive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with mainstream television, especially when it comes to survival style programmes.

The standard format from what I can see is one of the following:

1) Get an expert to talk you through how they would survive in a particular environment, but editing it in such a way that you only see the gory bits or the finished products.

2) Grab a group of numpties who know nothing about survival and try to produce something that makes even the most placid person scream at the television as they witness utter stupidity.

3) An obviously set up environment where everything is provided, but its fun to poke the people involved for the entertainment of the masses.

Well... I personally am tired of it. I want to see something real, something a bit more gritty and true to life. Leigh survived a night with nothing but a knife and bravely (in my view) posted up a video of the entire experience, including when he was a tad overwhelmed when fire finally happened for him. It was fascinating to watch and really kept me gripped because I wanted to know what happened next.

So, question is, a new programme called Project Survive. What format would you have it in? How would you like to see it play out?

I personally would like to see Project Survive being a completely silent film other than the noises of nature... much in the same way as the recent Owen Bush documentary covered his knife making. A group of 4 people, separated out into different environments and the camera trained on their efforts to survive. It would be fascinating to watch how each tackled their environment, what they chose as a priority and more importantly, how active each person was with their will to survive. Who wins? The viewer.... the viewer gets to see true survival with no frills and with no conclusions drawn about how each participant did, it is left to the viewer to decide what they take from it.

And I know, I'm probably dreaming here, but maybe some bored producer one day may stumble on ideas posted here, and we may actually get a decent survival series that gives the viewer something to think about.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm maybe getting old, soft and dull these days; that and I haven't had a telly in years. The couple of BG programs that I've watched were gall rising.
I do like dear old uncle Ray though he may be soft for some but I like the balance. Also the likes of Ruth et all on the likes of Tudor and Edwardian farms are more informative and less "staged" than others.
Though I hate to say it due to the lack of commercial restraint I prefer the likes of taschenmesserbuch.ch on Youtube as he just puts out what he likes, but in way that a lot of proffesionals could do well to.look at.
Also Hugh Fairly-Unstable when he did his forageing stuff was brilliant.
Les Hiddens is also old school and worth a watch.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
The Japanese did a survival show many years ago, it was never shown here, if you search you may find it, The show was based on the Ailsa Craig just off the Ayrshire coast, They dropped off, i dont know how many contestants, with nothing but some hooks and fishing line...the net result was they had to pull everyone from the rock before they died within a few weeks. The Japanese know how to do it right. they have previous for shear insanity and torture.. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My bother fished down by the Ailsa Craig….he said every single fish they pulled out had cysts or sommat weird about them. It's right on the route for the armaments dump :rolleyes: to say nothing about the subs.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd love to see more stuff like the original River Cottage, Jamie's farm or Victorian kitchen garden. Things I suppose, about how to live a self sustaining life that can actually be achieved in the UK as a long term life rather than a hobby (nothing wrong with a hobby of course). A series following Ben Law perhaps?

mwnci

Oct 24, 2010
Afan, South Wales
I'm with you on that one Red, interesting and informative. I always found myself thinking I could do that watching the early River Cottage programmes. And the same with Edwardian Farm, thinking of moving to a less processed more hands on way of life.
I can't abide reality TV, everything is in the cut as they say.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Put your foot through your TV and go outside instead :)

There will never be a sensible informative show on any topic that's just so last century.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Put your foot through your TV and go outside instead :)

There will never be a sensible informative show on any topic that's just so last century.

and yet here you are using a computer lol

As for 'project survive', Health & Safety will make sure its not dangerous.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think Riks rigjt on that one. Though I saw the origional and excellent Living In The Past (1978) I believe they tried it again a couple of years back and that it had been.an unmitigated disaster, partly due to H&S getting in the way of the experiment.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Same as with Butser.

And any how, only weirdos would want to even try to live in the past.

Who cares about telly, its so 20th century...we have the internet now.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Who cares about telly, its so 20th century...we have the internet now.

Yeah but the internet is full of weirdos posting on forums. Oh, wait a minute.....

Seriously though, I think a well thought out programme watching how different people deal with and prioritise a survival situation would make fascinating viewing. Yes, H&S would have a field day, but there must be work arounds with the type of stuff we see on the telly now.

I really enjoyed the river cottage series. Genuinely interesting telly for a change and the presenter got properly stuck in to what he was doing, which is always a bonus.

Just watched Les Stroud building a shelter in a water gully which was truly bizarre. I like his take on the survival genre, but he's an expert. Be more interesting watching a beginner in those sorts of situations and see them learning by their mistakes.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Can't remember the name of the program but Ray Mears took Euan McGreggor out to the jungle and they both seemed to.have a whale of a time and learn too.
Also the one where Mr. Mears and Les Hiddens got together. They seemed to.genuinely get on and shared a lot of information.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Can't remember the name of the program but Ray Mears took Euan McGreggor out to the jungle and they both seemed to.have a whale of a time and learn too.
Also the one where Mr. Mears and Les Hiddens got together. They seemed to.genuinely get on and shared a lot of information.

I have that somewhere, I enjoyed it. Although not as much as Ewan and Charlie struggling across Eastern Siberia in 'The Long Way Round' though.

:)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Favourite programme with Ray Mears was the birch bark canoe one... that was just a pleasure to watch and one of the best bits was when the gent making the canoe went to get his father for some advice... highlighted the point that no matter how experienced someone is at what they're doing, there is always someone with just that bit more knowledge.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

This...? [video=youtube;6tZ6hqym5TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZ6hqym5TU[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This...? [video=youtube;6tZ6hqym5TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZ6hqym5TU[/video]

Can't have a peak at it just now as.I'm on my phone. But will do when I get to town. Cheers for looking it out though. I think it's about the only one of his I don't have sitting on the hard drive.
Cheers again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No, Thank you for bringing it to my attention, never saw this one before. Cheers.

He talks about it in his autobiography with some fondness. He wasn't sure about doing a program with a celeb but had a great time doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE