Primus Hiker...any tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've just been given a Primus Hiker stove, the newer model with the green fuel bottle attached and upgraded burner.

It has been used previously and is very sooty, which to me implies it's not burning well or has been used with dirty fuel.

I intend to flush the bottle with Coleman fuel (as I have some already) and let it burn everything off. It pressurises ok and seems to be in generally good condition...

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Simon

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Er, you mean Optimus? Either way, can't look a gift horse like that in the mouth. :)

Give it a really good clean out. There were a lot of problems in the Chinese manufactured ones with dirt in fuel bottles, lines, filters and burners. Flushing a few times with clean fuel should do the job.

Check that there aren't any outstanding product recall notices, there may have been problems with badly machined parts damaging 'O' ring seals, and I think also crimping of hoses.

Basically they're a great little stove and should last years and years.

Try running it on Coleman fuel or similar for a bit, it shouldn't give you any trouble. The soot might just be because whoever used it before was using the stove fuel for pre-heating. I always use meths for pre-heating, it burns a lot cleaner. The stove won't run on meths. I keep a little 120ml bottle just for that purpose, it's a conact lens solution bottle that the wife threw out. It can make a really fine jet of meths for if you need to top up the heat. :)

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cheers Ged.

It says on the box "Made in Sweden" so hopefully the quality control is better than the Chinese made ones.

Will it run on parrafin? I'm thinking it would make life easier fuel wise as I have a couple of parrafin wick type lanterns...

Simon

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It says on the box "Made in Sweden" so hopefully the quality control is better than the Chinese made ones.

Then it seems like you've been given a great gift! :)

Will it run on parrafin? I'm thinking it would make life easier fuel wise as I have a couple of parrafin wick type lanterns...

If it's what I think it is, yes it will, very well. There are some older models of Hiker which won't (I have a couple:)) but I think yours is one of the real multifuel ones. (As opposed to the 'Coleman' type 'multifuel' which really only run on petrol or naphtha.)

Paraffin is a great fuel for stoves if you can cope with handling it. If you're used to using it in lanterns you should have no troubles. I find it a bit smelly, and it has a habit of getting out of its containers, but it's one of the safer fuels and its energy density is amongst the best. Should be great to cook on in your stove.

Can you post a photo of your stove?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE