Primitive skills/indigenous skills book

Evening All
last weekend at rough close meet i had a peek at a couple of books written by Hilary Stewart both looked excellent one titled indian fishing the other ceder, the gent who's books they were kindly gave me the isbn's and i had a good search through various site's.however the prices i am looking at are frankly erm scary! (£100 plus)
so i was wondering if anyone could recommend some books showing how to make things like the traditional salmon trawling hook mr mears demonstrates in his early series and the ceder hook he makes in his last bushcrafty series.
ps i have the outdoor handbook by mr mears already
cheers for the suggestions in advance

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sam is on about primitive hooks that are carved and made with spruce roots like the ones in the picture (mine is 3rd on the right)

Salmon-Trolling-Hooks_655.jpg

Picture by Wayland :)

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a couple of books on primitive skills back at work. I am leave at the minute but once I am back at work i can send a couple that you cam look at, if you like the look of what's inside you can try before spending out on books.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Ian
thats a really useful link thank you for that, i crumbled and bought two primative skills books off of amazon this one and this onethis one too so i am out of budget for books/kit this month
next month i shall be getting myself the ones i mentioned by ms stewart through the link and possibly a few others on my to hunt down list

Sam,

Can you let us know what you think of these titles when you've had a good look through them? I was interested in getting a copy of each.

Sam,

Can you let us know what you think of these titles when you've had a good look through them? I was interested in getting a copy of each.
having had a good read (not skim read just a peruse)
the two i linked to are very good
much more archaeological/anthropological than i expected (i'm not sure what i expected to be honest) but both books are fascinating reading and tempting me to subscribe to the society of primative skills.
some of it is far more indepth than i will ever be bothered to develop my skills in this department but fascinating to read none the less

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks Sam

Could be ones for the Christmas list then! I quite like the in-depth / deeper understanding stuff. Cheers for replying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE