Primitive selfbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Found a coppiced stave of hazel. Not a good bow wood, too soft by any standard, but it was lying there and I felt sorry for it. De-barked it there and then and split it down the middle to finish off the drying.

primitivehazelstave.jpg

primitivehazelstavesplit.jpg

It's around 3" wide and 1 1/2" deep now it's split....I will add to the thread over the next few weeks as i tiller a very primitive bow...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
torjusg said:
You shouldn't be so sentimental Stovie... :) Now you are going to spend a lot of time carving a ought to be crappy bow.

You are definately a greater human being than me. :notworthy :lmao:

Not a greater being...just very sentimental..... ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Try toasting the belly, it'll help fight set a bit (and it smells very nice, don't do it when you're feeling hungry!).

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
jon r said:
how did you split it stovie?

And what happened to that scout canoe of yours, did you test it?

Split it jon with my mora, working carefully down the length. It was still a bit green, so it split quite easily.

The canoe is waiting for its first victim...so on the first monday evening when it's light enough to see, someone will be playing guinea pig...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:
Try toasting the belly, it'll help fight set a bit (and it smells very nice, don't do it when you're feeling hungry!).

Cheers Snufkin, I had planned to do just that....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Roughed out the stave to general shape using spoke shave. 62" tip to tip

primitiveroughed.jpg

then shaped the handle area

primitivehandle.jpg

Gradually scraped away wood, leaving some extra around knots and pins, and got to a half decent tiller

primitivetiller.jpg

A little gentle scraping and a few more times on the tiller stick and she is all but done

primitivedrawn.jpg

At a later stage I will wrap some leather on the handle and trim the nocks down. Pulls around 30# at 28", and will be belly heat treated to keep the set down

primitivedrawn2.jpg

Braced

primitivebraced.jpg

H

Heathenpeddler

Good job there! One thing I would love to do is bowmaking but my partner would have a fit - it ain't safe to give a guy with a tic disorder projectile weapons :p

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
locust_jrm said:
Nice bow but what did you make it out of? i've tried lots of times but without sucess, any tips for me?

This is made out of hazel...see first post...not a very good bow wood by any standards...use Ash for ease and a far better performance....that is a good wood to start with IMHO... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE