Primitive selfbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
jon r said:
I have noticed that on the indide of the bow there are the tinyest little ripples in the wood there the set has occoured! The ripples are so tiny you can just see about them! Is it too far gone! have i busted it!

Is there anything i can do to stop the large amount of set which has occoured on only one side of the bow? Would toasting it work like you did?

Many thanks!

Jon!

Theres a 500 year old trick to try and stop compression fractures getting any worse, described in the book, Toxophilus by Roger Ascham written in 1545, he describes making a line of pin ****** either side of the fret, the aim being to spread the load by introducing intentional weak spots around the compression fracture.

I'm not claiming to have read all of the book (Its written in old english and is INCREDIBLY hard to decipher) But I did read through this section (Repeatedly
:confused: until I sussed out what he meant).

Andy.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Normally the reason for crysals is too much compression in one spot. Remove wod from other parts of the limb and you even the stress...the price you pay is reduction in draw weight....but then you can heat treat the belly again to regain the lost weight...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
jon r said:
thanks for all the advice! when you said about toasting the belly, is that the side which faces away from you when you use the bow?

NO Jon, the belly is the side that faces you...the Back of the bow faces away from you...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Posted purely for those who are looking for basic bowyer skills. Trust me, it's not that hard...just made esoteric by those in the know....;)

I would have placed a link, but blowed if I can work it out...Much prefer being a luddite :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE