Primitive fire making kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
The latest incarnation of my primitive fire making kit:

firemakingkit.jpg

Clockwise from the top -

Limpet shells - could be used for a bow drill bearing block but I use them as 'rain covers' inside the two pouches

Flint striker wrapped in bucksin to protect my hand

Marcasite lump - I gave my previous one to someone who kindly gave me some amadou so I need to make a groove in this

Tinder pouch - the flap helps to keep the contents dry when not in use. I strike directly into the pouch so the flap also helps to extinguish any bits of ember I might accidently leave in the pouch

Flint flake - for scraping/fluffing up the amadou or other tinder material

King Alfreds Cake / Daldinia Concentrica - ember extender

Main pouch containing the above

Small pouch for spare tinder

I don't regularly use amadou as suitable fungi don't grow in my area

Inspired by the following:

http://www.primitiveways.com/marcasite and flint.html

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cool beans Mr Cake

Can I ask where you got your marcasite piece from, I've been looking out for one as a demonstration piece for ages?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
From an ebay seller who goes under the name of 'goldwray' or 'sylverwray'. Bought a few pieces off him and he's always been very good. He usually has larger lumps if you contact him directly.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
@ Mr Cake,

I found the guy on ebay you recommend, does the shape/surface texture matter? You seem to have a smooth surface finish on the marcasite.

Thanks

Jules

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
@ Mr Cake,

I found the guy on ebay you recommend, does the shape/surface texture matter? You seem to have a smooth surface finish on the marcasite.

Thanks

Jules

If I may butt in, I bought some marcasite from the same chap.

It doesn't seem to matter which part of the nodule you hit as long as you are positive; what worked for me was a similar wrist snap action like with a steel. I struck the marcasite with the flint, not the other way round.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
I also strike the marcasite with the flint. I've always used nodules with a smoothish surface as I make a groove in the nodule with a piece of flint and it seems easier to get a reasonably straight groove on a smoothish nodule done that way.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
@Mr Cake & @Stringmaker

Thanks very much for the advice - new exciting project ahead - here I go to ebay.

Thanks

Jules

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE