Primitive cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I suck at cooking and generally go for pot noodles and the like or possibly a beef stew which is lacking in any culinary imagination.

I got a chance to try out a few things today but still lack imagination so was hoping you guys could offer up some tasty ideas?

I live on a farm with an abundance of rats, which i catch, clean and dry. Also have a fair amount of undried rat meat in the freezer.

I ground up the dried meat between to rocks, added salt and pepper dropped an egg on top, shaped into a burger and fried on a flat rock.

Also tried making a small rock oven, built a fire inside, scraped the embers out Stuck two undried rats in, sealed the opening and covered the whole thing in grass to insulate it. This works great.

Also tried the obligitary ashcake, eggs in there shells straight in the fire and cracking an egg onto the ash and frying it making an ashy omelette thing.

Great fun and tasted great.

Compo Semite

Feb 7, 2012
Wales
all joking aside, in an "urban survival" situation I reckon eating a "Peters" corned beef pastie is the equivalent eating a dead rat in the wilderness...

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I suck at cooking and generally go for pot noodles and the like or possibly a beef stew which is lacking in any culinary imagination.

I got a chance to try out a few things today but still lack imagination so was hoping you guys could offer up some tasty ideas?

I live on a farm with an abundance of rats, which i catch, clean and dry. Also have a fair amount of undried rat meat in the freezer.

I ground up the dried meat between to rocks, added salt and pepper dropped an egg on top, shaped into a burger and fried on a flat rock.

Also tried making a small rock oven, built a fire inside, scraped the embers out Stuck two undried rats in, sealed the opening and covered the whole thing in grass to insulate it. This works great.

Also tried the obligitary ashcake, eggs in there shells straight in the fire and cracking an egg onto the ash and frying it making an ashy omelette thing.

Great fun and tasted great.

I'd suggest a marinade on the meat, then put it on a skewer over some coals.

Marinade depends on what you have available, but here's a fairly standard mix:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine (you cold use vinegar)
2 tablespoons tomato sauce or barbecue sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon dried herbs
good grinding of black pepper (or crushed chili to taste)

Soak the skewers in water and leave them soaking while the marinade sits in the fridge
Mix the ingredients in a bowl, then cut up the meat and soak it for half a day (in the fridge). Make sure it is well covered in the mix. You should re-mix it every couple of hours so it all gets covered and has a chance to soak in.

Then put the pieces onto the skewers, make sure the meat is not bunched up and not too thich. Then support them over the coals of a fire to cook.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon dried herbs

Soak the skewers in water and leave them soaking while the marinade sits in the fridge
Mix the ingredients in a bowl, then cut up the meat and soak it for half a day (in the fridge). Make sure it is well covered in the mix. You should re-mix it every couple of hours so it all gets covered and has a chance to soak in.

Then put the pieces onto the skewers, make sure the meat is not bunched up and not too thich. Then support them over the coals of a fire to cook.

Mice recipe Vic. Is there any particular cut of rat you'd recommend for this?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Well I must confess I'm not familiar with the standard cuts available, I was going to suggest a Ratatouille, but thought that maybe a bit tricky for a beginner.

I must admit that it is my ignorance regarding the correct cuts to use that has prevented me from venturing into 'rat cuisine' before now. Oh well, the search continues.....

Riley103

Apr 23, 2012
Riley103

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon dried herbs

Thanks you for the post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE