Primitive Bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hi! This is my latest (fourth I think) bow. It's made out of Goat Willow as a practice bow for an Ash bow I'm planning to make, but it came out quite good. Mid forties at 26inches, man high, good shooter. Just beeswaxed and oiled.

002-27.jpg

006-24.jpg

003-31.jpg

007-10.jpg

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Thanks a lot guys! All my bows are sapling bows, or branch/limb bows in this case.

Guy, once your sapling stave is dry, it doesn't take that long to make it into a bow. I rough out the belly with an Old Hick butchers knife, then narrow the handle with the knife, and then use a big plane to take the limbs down more. After that I switch between a small surform and a rasp. When it looks pretty much like a bow I cut my nocks and get it bending enough for a long string. Once the longstring is on I work it out to to full draw with a card scraper. I use the world's worst tiller stick and reflection in my patio doors to see where it's bending and not bending, mark the stiff areas with pencil hatches and then scrape the hatches off with the card. Takes about a week to turn the stave into a bow I suppose, doing it a bit at a time. For technical information you'd be better asking Dwardo.

Dwardo, thanks mate!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Thats gota nice tiller. Must say I'm impressed you got 40# out of it. Willow not what you call top notch bow wood. That said, keep it wide and long and its surprising what you can do...

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Cheers Stovie! I didn't know it was willow when I cut it, but I thought I'd have a go anyway. I'm coming to realise that there is no such thing as making a bow, there are only rehearsals for "the bow".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE