Price of a froe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 15, 2009
Rochdale
Hi. Could anyone tell me if £30 is an OK price for a 10 inch froe? It seems very expensive, but I really need one. This is actually just a random one I've seen on ebay. I haven't been to my local hardware store, because I doubt they'd have traditional tools such as this...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Try Tony Murland at Needham Market in Suffolk. He normally has 3 or 4 antique ones in. I got a fully forged 10 inch one for £26, probably well over a hundred years old, made from one piece of iron bar with a proper forge welded eye. Not a piece of tube welded onto a bit of leaf spring like the modern ones often are where you depend totally on the weld for strength. Also it has a full-wedge shaped profile, not parallel with just a small grind like the modern ones. I find it enters the wood more easily (gradually) when you are starting the split....

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The Ashley Illes froe is a welded socket,but the eye of the socket is tapered and the actual blade is quality tool steel that is wedge shaped with a very small secondary bevel.Ive had one for a while now and i cant fault it.He knows what hes doing with greenwoodworking tools.Pricey i know but worth it.You might get lucky and find one at an auction...

As for that shop in suffolk,boy have i lost money in there!!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
No,never been ripped off there..think kid in sweet shop!!:D
I mean ive never left the shop without an empty wallet..

I dont know if its a good or a bad thing that there are TWO excellent toolshops within spittin' distance!?:cool:

Youre not the owner are you?:lmao:

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I dont know if its a good or a bad thing that there are TWO excellent toolshops within spittin' distance!?:cool:

Roy Arnold's shop has now moved a couple of villages down the road. I live about a 200 yards from Tony Murland's shop and have to pass it every day..........its always a struggle to pass by without popping in....... you know, just to have a look.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE