Preserving Chillis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi All,
This year, for the first time in almost 2 decades, I decided to grow some chilli's, mainly due to the fact that my partner picked up a packet of seeds at a local garden centre ;-). The variety was just shown as 'Super Chilli' and when the seedlings were potted up I gave lots away and just kept 4 plants, 3 of which were put on a south-facing windowsill (indoors) and 1 was left out on a south-facing patio.
I was not surprised to find the indoor plants developed quicker and ripened their fruits earlier. What I was surprised about was the number of chilli's the 3 indoor plants have produced so far, literally hundreds of chilli's so far. We've had a few very nice chilli con carne's but I want to preserve some for use in the winter, when a nice spicy meal will be 'just the ticket' on a cold dark evening.
I initially thought I might be able to make them into a paste and keep this in a jar in the fridge, or else chop them up fine and store them in oil.
My google searches have unearthed recommendations that drying or pickling are the best methods. I was wondering if anyone on here had preserved chilli's and if so, how did you get on, and what advice would you give.

Ta in advance and have a good week-end.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Freeze them whole or chopped (freeze chpped ones on flat trays then move them into a tupperware pot), dry them halved or as flakes.

Freezing is the easiest to be honest.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We've been growing chillis for many years and just freeze most whole (pop a load in a freezer bag and if they're dry they do not stick together when frozen). They only take moments to defrost and can be deseeded and chopped like fresh ones. They also last literally years in the feezer and don't take up much room.

We've dried them successfully but then keeping them dry can be a bit tricky unless you have somewhere that's always warm and dry.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
As already stated, freeze or dry. I have tried keeping them in oil, but not over extended periods of time. I have a large glass jar that stays in the kitchen where all my dried and ground chillis are kept.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Doesn't putting them in oil run the risk of botulism?

I was going to put some in oil and seem to recall that was the reason I decided to freeze or dry them.

To dry them I just tie a length of cotton around the stalks one at a time, till I've got a string of them then pin it in the airing cupboard with a drawing pin.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Drying them was the traditional method. That's exactly what you're buying in the store when you get a spice bottle

Pickling can also be done and this has an added benefit. Not only can you use the chilis themselves, but the pickling vinegar then becomes a wonderful condiment; especially on things like mustard greens, collard green, turnip greens, etc. Over here, pickled peppers can be bought in a bottle designed especially for sprinkling said vinegar;

B_4815940106A

You don't really have to fuss with pickling them properly, just plop them into a jar of vinegar and put it in the fridge to let the chili flavor infuse the vinegar. They'll keep in the fridge for months or even years.

Likewise putting them in oil is more for the flavored oil than for preserving the peppers.

Think of dressing your salad with an oil & vinegar dressing made with either (or both) ingredients from a pepper infused one.

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
I just dry them in one of these http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/hou...drating_appliances/193811-food_dehydrator.htm and store them in old spice jars in the cupboard or blitz them in a cheap coffee grinder and make them into either chilli powders of spice blend mixes like chilli con carne blends . (be very careful when opening the grinder after use with the hotter chilli varieties as they can do you some serious damage !) P.S here is a good site that gives some good ideas for chilli mixes ! - http://www.chilicookoff.com/

cheers - Andrew.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I make chilli "jam" and use it as a condiment/relish and to add the fire to chilli con carne and other dishes. I use onions to pad it out and sugar with added pectin to help it set. I cook the onions and the chopped chillies in white wine vinegar and do the whole thing like I would make any other jam. Usually keeps until I make the next year's lot.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chilli jam on a home made, hot, sausage roll is the closest thing to perfection that a living man can know :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Chop them up and remove seeds for more plants. Then freeze them on a tray so that the chilis don't stick. Then in a tupperware box and enjoy. You could also smoke them which are just as good. Or blend them into a paste and freeze it so that it can be used as a base for some foods.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies and the links to interesting articles and sites and to those lovely recipes! I'm looking forward to trying them out. I did a 'harvest' on Wednesday (probably the 4th 'harvest' so far), taking all the red/ripe chilli's from the indoor plants and today, Sunday, there are maybe 60/70 nice red chilli's, all of which ripened since Wednesday :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It has been a grand year indeed. I have seven plants this year (it was eight but I gave one to a neighbour who only got their greenhouse in June).

Definitely going to be doing some large runs of chilli sauce :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE