Preserving Chillis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
This year's effort - 1st batch: about 4.5 litres of sticky, sweet, chilli jam: just made and can't wait to taste it...

uG8vCt.jpg

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As many different varieties as possible! We tend to like ones that aren't ridiculously hot and try different ones each year.

Apache is one I like, easy to grow, small plant that produces loads of small read chillies. Something a bit less common is Lemon Drop, bright yellow chillies which do seem to have a slight lemony taste and pleasantly hot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This year's effort - 1st batch: about 4.5 litres of sticky, sweet, chilli jam: just made and can't wait to taste it...

uG8vCt.jpg

Aside from the other uses mentioned already, you might try using this as a dip for corn chips, ruffled potato crisps, celery sticks, etc. It's extremely good when you put a layer of softened cream cheese into a bowl, then top with a layer of pepper jelly. Dip through both layers.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To be honest its pretty good from the get go - it doesn't get worse but I'm not sure it improves :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

uG8vCt.jpg

Could I request an exact recipe please Kerne? I have hundreds of chillis to use up (literally)

Thanks - Red

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Could I request an exact recipe please Kerne? I have hundreds of chillis to use up (literally)

Thanks - Red

Hi, - "exact" is relative:) As I just kind of wing it. I used to de-seed the chillis but now I just chuck them into the food processor as I like the extra fire the seeds give. I cut up a load of onions to bulk it out then boil the chillis and onions in white wine vinegar. When the onions become completely transparent and soft I start adding preserving sugar with added pectin (chilies have next to no pectin, I believe). I test it with the "plate in the freezer" method and keep adding the sugar until I reckon that it's going to be stiff enough. Once it hits this degree of stickiness (as you can see - not very scientific) I decant it into sterilised Kilner jars.

Hope this helps!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does thanks - I make my own pectin so I'll @rse about a bit and see what I come up with. I have a glut of apples and chillis rather than my normal onions so I'll play with those two I think

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I go for the really simple option of drying them. Pick them with about half inch of stalk, tie them onto a length of string and hang up to dry. Once dry you can grind them up into chilli flakes (or even further into chilly powder), or just use them from the string. For something that dries so easily and then keeps so well, I don't see the point of using the valuable freezer space.

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I go for the really simple option of drying them. Pick them with about half inch of stalk, tie them onto a length of string and hang up to dry. Once dry you can grind them up into chilli flakes (or even further into chilly powder), or just use them from the string. For something that dries so easily and then keeps so well, I don't see the point of using the valuable freezer space.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE