Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here's an interesting exercise on "first world problems" we developed a mains water leak on our side of the meter and had to shut off the water for 4 days at no notice. Our drinking water on hand consisted of 3 x 25L Jerry cans (tapped) plus 6 x 5L small cans plus some commercial mineral water. So 100 litres of tap water and another 25 L of bottles. Plus, for all purposes, near infinite rainwater (25,000 litres+). That sounds like plenty for a few days in the house doesn't it?

What did we learn?

Well, Jerry cans are heavy. Using them in place of tap water is hard work. If you think you are going to carry 60 pounds of water from a nearby water source (even a neighbour in our case) think again. They do fit nicely on a sack truck though!

Sack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We have a septic tank so that's good. All we need to do is fill the cistern from a grey water supply and the toilet works. My plan for this was (free) 10L commercial canisters

10L water can by English Countrylife, on Flickr

They fill easily from the IBC tanks that we store rainwater in (good use of 1m hose attachment) and store and stack neatly. 10L gets you 2 basic flushes.

The damn things slop. Everywhere. A much better solution is a watering can

Watering can by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Even a 99p bucket pours far better!

What else did we learn?

Well a kettle full of boiling water (1.5L) and an equal amount of cold give 3L of hand hot water. That is **** all use for washing up. Luckily I have several stove top kettles (including a 3L one). Old fashioned big kettles weren't for drinks, they were for washing up, washing self, washing clothes.

Also, if you are old, remember how to wash up correctly. Glasses first, then cutlery, then crockery, then pans. If you are young, trust me. Don't wash a glass in water that has washed greasy pans. If you are boiling 4 kettles to do one wash up, you don't want to change the water.

We needed a minimum of two, tapped, clean, dispensers for drinking water in the kitchen. One to use, one to fill (would need this especially if purifying our own water). We needed more, smaller ones for bathrooms (washing and tooth cleaning)

A really good, humbling experience to spend a few days without mains water. We didn't even ave to travel far to collect it (and never would where we live) but the amount of time required to heat water, fill cisterns, collect water (without spending time making it safe) is appreciable, We take our luxuries too much for granted.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
At last, I've managed to get a calor gas cabinet heater.
What a palava trying to get one bought and delivered localy!
My step daughter stepped in and got me one on amazon for my Xmas present. I've been struggling to set it up, as I can't get the regulator hose on the spigot, but my nice neighbour has just said he will do it for me tonight after his meal.
I know I have the multifuel stove to keep the chill off the house, but sometimes it doesn't last the night, so it's chilly in the morning, and I know I could use the central heating at a pinch, but sometimes the house needs a quick boost, and this is perfect for my needs.
More coal delivered today, and more logs at the weekend.
I think I have everything covered now for this cold snap, and all possible scenarios.
Converted child's sled pulk at the ready for snow. Why? Logs are stored in my friends shed for now, and I don't think the shopping trolly I'm using as transport at present, will cope with snow.
If I haven't, it's not through lack of thought and trying.!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
. I've been struggling to set it up, as I can't get the regulator hose on the spigot, but my nice neighbour has just said he will do it for me tonight after his meal.
They can be tight. Its worth plunging the end into a cup of very hot water (from a boiling kettle) for 30 seconds. It should be soft enough to go over the barbed spigot. I then use a jubilee clip to hold it when the gas hose is still soft.

Reactions: Woody girl

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A really good, humbling experience to spend a few days without mains water. We didn't even ave to travel far to collect it (and never would where we live) but the amount of time required to heat water, fill cisterns, collect water (without spending time making it safe) is appreciable, We take our luxuries too much for granted.
Sounds very familiar, we've been without mains water for about 8 years now. Occasionally the ram pump stops working so no spring water for several days either.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds very familiar, we've been without mains water for about 8 years now. Occasionally the ram pump stops working so no spring water for several days either.
We are fortunate in that we have mains water, a well, a cistern and 10,000 litres of above ground rainwater storage so in general we are not short of water! The reality in this part of the world tends to "too much" but ground water can be an issue at sea level due to salinity

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
They can be tight. Its worth plunging the end into a cup of very hot water (from a boiling kettle) for 30 seconds. It should be soft enough to go over the barbed spigot. I then use a jubilee clip to hold it when the gas hose is still soft.

Yes, I've tried that 3 times. !
My arthritic hands just don't cut it with enough strength and dexterity tho.
I've spent the whole afternoon assembling it, as it came pretty much flat packed, which was something I didn't expect, I don't think she got me the one I actually asked for to be honest. Still it's here, and 95% sorted.
I have certain screw types missing, and excess of others! But I've managed... with lots of expletives , my spare screw pot, and hunting of wayward jumping screws, to do it , ...so far.
Neighbour has sorted the hose connection in about 2 mins!
Also brought in two buckets of coal for me. Bless his cotton socks.
I spent about half an hour trying to do it, with no joy!
Leak testing tomorrow to make sure it's OK, and a carbon monoxide fire angel has been installed by my own fair(wobbly) hands this evening.
All good to go for tomorrow (fingers crossed for no leaks.)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes, I've tried that 3 times. !
My arthritic hands just don't cut it with enough strength and dexterity tho.
I've spent the whole afternoon assembling it, as it came pretty much flat packed, which was something I didn't expect, I don't think she got me the one I actually asked for to be honest. Still it's here, and 95% sorted.
I have certain screw types missing, and excess of others! But I've managed... with lots of expletives , my spare screw pot, and hunting of wayward jumping screws, to do it , ...so far.
Neighbour has sorted the hose connection in about 2 mins!
Also brought in two buckets of coal for me. Bless his cotton socks.
I spent about half an hour trying to do it, with no joy!
Leak testing tomorrow to make sure it's OK, and a carbon monoxide fire angel has been installed by my own fair(wobbly) hands this evening.
All good to go for tomorrow (fingers crossed for no leaks.)
Outstanding - good for you. Were you but closer I'd have sorted it and brought you some logs ;)

• Love
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Outstanding - good for you. Were you but closer I'd have sorted it and brought you some logs ;)

Bless you BR.
I'm used to being fairly self sufficient in most things, but sometimes I miss having a fella around to do things when I'm not feeling 100% like today.(ibs flair up)
I just battle on, as there isn't much choice realy. Not that I'm moaning. I'm quite proud that despite everything, I only had one real "unsolvable by self" problem, and that's been sorted now.
It can get frustrating at times mind.
In my head I'm still able to walk 2 miles carrying a full gas bottle home from the depot... now I use a camping trolly. Or rope in someone with a car. Where there's a will, there's a way.:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bless you BR.
I'm used to being fairly self sufficient in most things, but sometimes I miss having a fella around to do things when I'm not feeling 100% like today.(ibs flair up)
I just battle on, as there isn't much choice realy. Not that I'm moaning. I'm quite proud that despite everything, I only had one real "unsolvable by self" problem, and that's been sorted now.
It can get frustrating at times mind.
In my head I'm still able to walk 2 miles carrying a full gas bottle home from the depot... now I use a camping trolly. Or rope in someone with a car. Where there's a will, there's a way.:)
Lass we are all headed in one direction so let's enjoy the journey! I was loving the IBS, hiatus hernia combo yesterday. Stuff it. Tomorrow I will cut wood for a magazine article on heating with wood. One of the joys of being old is people believing that we have wisdom to impart (I won't tell them if you don't)!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Here's an interesting exercise on "first world problems" we developed a mains water leak on our side of the meter and had to shut off the water for 4 days at no notice. Our drinking water on hand consisted of 3 x 25L Jerry cans (tapped) plus 6 x 5L small cans plus some commercial mineral water. So 100 litres of tap water and another 25 L of bottles. Plus, for all purposes, near infinite rainwater (25,000 litres+). That sounds like plenty for a few days in the house doesn't it?

What did we learn?

Well, Jerry cans are heavy. Using them in place of tap water is hard work. If you think you are going to carry 60 pounds of water from a nearby water source (even a neighbour in our case) think again. They do fit nicely on a sack truck though!

Sack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We have a septic tank so that's good. All we need to do is fill the cistern from a grey water supply and the toilet works. My plan for this was (free) 10L commercial canisters

10L water can by English Countrylife, on Flickr

They fill easily from the IBC tanks that we store rainwater in (good use of 1m hose attachment) and store and stack neatly. 10L gets you 2 basic flushes.

The damn things slop. Everywhere. A much better solution is a watering can

Watering can by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Even a 99p bucket pours far better!

What else did we learn?

Well a kettle full of boiling water (1.5L) and an equal amount of cold give 3L of hand hot water. That is **** all use for washing up. Luckily I have several stove top kettles (including a 3L one). Old fashioned big kettles weren't for drinks, they were for washing up, washing self, washing clothes.

Also, if you are old, remember how to wash up correctly. Glasses first, then cutlery, then crockery, then pans. If you are young, trust me. Don't wash a glass in water that has washed greasy pans. If you are boiling 4 kettles to do one wash up, you don't want to change the water.

We needed a minimum of two, tapped, clean, dispensers for drinking water in the kitchen. One to use, one to fill (would need this especially if purifying our own water). We needed more, smaller ones for bathrooms (washing and tooth cleaning)

Yes, I know the importance of water, and the lack of provision most farms I deal with. Water is so important, yet taken for granted, as you have stated.

I congratulate you BR you efforts are noteworthy, I am not at your level, but getting there slowly, I only have capacity for 3.5m3 currently.

The shocking part is, that a lot of people, including friends and family, really don't understand or even want to know how much work goes into providing fresh water, and the challenges drinking water companies have....must note here that there are drinking water only companies and combined waste and drinking water companies are mostly separate from each other.

Everyone should know where their water is sourced, the treatment used and the impact they have as consumers. Only then can raw water resources be appreciated.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Among people I know, some have a little food put by for emergencies, but maybe only a few litres of water.
Just a couple of those 5 litre plastic bottles for a family. Or non at all.
A water problem here, would see the small Co op sell out of bottled water in seconds.
I keep about 30 litres of drinking water, and a further 20 of washing water, plus two water butts.
I have a kitty litter /sawdust toilet that I've made from a large bucket, so flushing isn't a problem, and cuts out my need to store more water for that.
I know where my local springs are, and I live near a river. I have a couple of water filters, and a filter bag, So I'm pretty sure I'm set for a water emergency of any duration.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I regularly live without mains water. You get to appreciate that water is heavy. When every litre is hand carried 800m you learn very quickly not to waste It. Learning to wash up and hand wash with minimal amounts.

Most people have little idea of their water consumption.
Absolutely right!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Something I only found out today.
Hot water bottles have expiry dates.
Having just checked all mine(6)
Only one is "in date"
All the others are very out of date, one in fact going back to 1998!
This is the main reason for bottles bursting and giving serious burns.
To check.. look inside the top of the bottle and you will see a little flower symbol with a date in the middle. The amount of petals, tell you which month they it was manufactured, ie seven petals =July, eight petals = August etc.
It is recommended you renew every 3 years. Due to the hot water degrading the materials.
Also, the more rubbery it is, the better quality, so if it smells realy rubbery, you have a better quality one.
Lower quality, cheaper ones, tend to have plastics added to the rubber, ,which makes them less durable.
I will be replacing some of my older bottles, as I've noticed they are a bit discoloured, and feel thinner than they should. With things how they are, nobody wants 3rd degree burns right now.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Woke up to the world covered in snow this morning.
So glad I got the gas heater in time, and the extra coal on Thursday.
Still don't have the central heating on, but that may change later today.
The kitchen ,which has 3 walls to the outside, two windows and a door is freezing!
Not enough snow for the pulk yet, so glad I hauled in two lots of logs yesterday instead of my usual one.
We were not supposed to get any snow untill tonight.
What fun!... ...now I'll have to dig out my winter boots, should have done that before now, but been far to busy.

Reactions: Winnet

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
No snow here, but a 2 day layer of frost is still present, so would say its on its way.

Have some elderly neighbours, and have gone out and given them my mobile number in case they need or want anything, and explained I'll be doing a shop on a Thursday if they want anything picked up, but able to go local if they need anything in-between.

Only hope they ask me and don't risk anything going out and causing injuries.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
A lot of people don’t read the instructions printed on the bottles, it says ‘do not use boiling water.’

Some 15 years ago I lived in a shared flat that was freezing cold. Between being one of those people who always read the instructions and having no prior experience of hot water bottles before moving to the UK, I definitely followed all the instructions. I remember it seemed a lot more complicated than you'd think. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE