Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like a lot of these recipes on the BBC news today - £1 a portion or less :) - some claim to be 'store cupboard' meals so a useful source of inspiration.

Reactions: Mesquite

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jack Munroe does a lot of stuff on the topic.
Tin Can Cook, for instance.

I have to admit though, I think if you can afford enough for even a basic pantry, cooking from scratch is cheaper in the long run. You don't need to make massive portions, and I think you get more seasonal variety.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"....preparing for troubled times ahead....advice on what's needed ? "

Stuff the pantry with stuff you'll use is surely part of that.
No ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
"....preparing for troubled times ahead....advice on what's needed ? "

Stuff the pantry with stuff you'll use is surely part of that.
No ?
Question for those more prepared amongst us, how long do you prep for?

Since Covid, We try to have enough food for a week in the house to cover any lockdown/civil emergency.

Please don’t answer if you feel this is an inappropriate question

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Last question being how long do you prep for?

I don't really stock much or prep, but I tend to buy in bulk as it works out "cheaper" than individual items... peanut butter (again, sorry) I buy in kg tubs and I look to buy enough so that I don't have to pay postage etc, also its cheaper and better quality than supermarket stuff.

Rice, I like a certain brand, so I buy that in large bags - (not catering size, but perhaps 10kgs?) So again, it's cheaper per kg of an item that I actually use regularly.

Tinned toms I tend to get from lidl, have lots of recipes that I can use them in.

Lots of spices and dried herbs in large tubs and that kinda shtuff...

I'll certainly have lots of flavourful food...not for very long though...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You've all gone off topic of the last question ask - please navigate back

Why?

Arguably, that question was off-topic of the previous discussions as well :) - And, discussions on how you can use all this stash of stuff (by imaginative cooking of simple ingredients) is as valid a topic for preparing for difficult times as any.

Multiple threads of conversation TeeDee :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But, as the question was asked, because we live in the middle of nowhere, where just a frost let alone snow makes it impossible to get out, we have always had a 'stock' of food that is rotated. We could survive for over a month before I would need to rustle and without eating into the 'hopping around' larder.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Thank you for the replies, some food for thought there (sorry)

We live in West London, 5 minutes from Heathrow airport so extremes of weather and such mean we are unlikely to ever be cut off.

We shop once a week buying to a meal plan of sorts. The additional week comes from the pantry and freezer, we could probably if needed cope for longer by having cereal for lunch etc.

Our change came from Covid, firstly from the possibility of having to isolate and secondary from being able to avoid the madness at the supermarkets. There did come a point though when the situation lasted longer than expected and we had to plan for a restock.

My interest in this subject and reason for my question is that the current suggestion of price rises and shortages could go on for months rather than weeks.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@TeeDee......every family is different.
Fresh food, a week or so.

Veggies like pototoes and carrots though will last for months if properly stored in winter. I used bags of peat in a garden bench outside. My Winter store of root veggies will last four months.

Dried foods, from broth mix to flour, I have at least six months supply. Because of the range of stuff I use and store, it'd probably last a lot longer if push came to shove.

Tinned foods, like Nido, I have and will keep for years, but if we needed to use them and only them, I have a month's supply.

I do buy cans; meat I buy for Himself, only stuff he actually likes, in cans and stash because it's practical but most meat for Himself comes from a friend who hunts. This week was a venison pie and pigeon breast burgers. Not everyone has that option though, so again, you need to think about what you'll actually use. Multi use options preferred....corned beef makes hash, or fritters, or stew, or curry, or chilli, for instance. Tinned ham makes sandwiches, a base for soup or strew, battered pork stuff, stir fry or sliced thick and cooked like gammon steaks with pineapple....or sliced thin and it'll fry up like bacon with eggs.
Chicken in white sauce makes creamed chicken, stuffs pastry, makes curry.....that kind of multi use if you have to use cans.

Home canned foods are done in season, there's a years supply, and a little extra, of those at the time I make them.
Sometimes I buy extra when I see it on special (citrus fruits at Christmas time for instance or special offers on fruits in the supermarkets, fruit leather lasts really well, and is an excellent munchy at any time of year, but canned apples, rhubarb, and peaches are great for pies, tarts and puddings. A sack of carrots is a gold mine :)

A week's food in hand is a picnic and woefully underprepared for any emergency.....but that's my family, not yours, iimmc ?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Generally folks won't want to tell you what they store, especially online where anybody can read it.

The Mormons, who are experts at food storage, say that everyone ought to have at least three months supply, and a longer term stash of stuff like rice, grains, etc.,

"Ideally, you should have three levels of food storage: a 72-hour supply of food and drinking water; a three-month supply of food; and a longer-term supply of items, such as wheat, white rice, and beans, that can be stored for years "

Reactions: Winnet

Gamekeeper1

Aug 13, 2022
Bath
Guys, looking for advice on storing water at home. I have some 5 gallon containers with lids from my keepering days and am thinking that i should fill these and store them in the cupboard under the stairs. Am i nuts? I look at the news and am becoming worried that the mains water might be turned off periodically.

Last edited by a moderator:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Since starting this thread, things have changed in the world a lot. like a lot of you, I have been thinking about where we can go from here, to prepare.

Interesting that the basics, shelter, energy, food and water are being discussed, as I log available water sources near to me, and get 3 months of food in, plus a years supply of beans, etc.

I have also been building our grab bags, and thinking about hunting methods, of which I am proficient in shooting, and in the past archery and catapults. The bag is still in development, as needs to contain clothes, first aid, hygiene bits, food, shelter, cooking and tool equipment.

The grab bag would be easy for just myself, but as a family unit, with 2 young children, it gets much harder.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
As someone who has had a lot of time on the sea, I was told you should only climb into your lifeboat when you're stepping off the top of the mast into it....(or highest point of the vessel)

Now, of course that's not strictly true, but the point is valid... the US is quite keen on the bug out stuff, but the reality is they live in a volatile environment - hurricanes, tornados, wild fires, to name a few... nothing wrong with having a bag with all your important details in, so that in the event of a house fire you've got some options, but in general having your "abandon ship" gear seems a little excessive, unless you live next to a nuclear plant or something that might mean evacuation.

I also have a few bags of unflavoured protein powder... not the most cost effective means of "food" but it works.

Reactions: TeeDee

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My main concern is energy bills.
I have the ability to cope with most other things, brexit made me think about not being able to get things I might normaly want, then covid got me thinking about stocking up for lockdowns. So I have most of that covered anyway.
My income has increased by half of my rent increase this year, so that was a bit of a shock, but its manageable, as I only had to find about £50, over the course of a year. That's about a pound a week.
Initially it felt like a big problem, but broken down its not much.
I pay electric quarterly, on a paper bill, which is a bit more expensive, but I don't trust the way the energy company can take what it wants with no prior warning on direct debits.
I also have a paper record that I can easily access anytime I want.
So what's coming in the next month will be a shock I'm sure.
I have cut down on consumption to the bare minimum, which living alone, is easier than having others using electric when I'm not about, so I can keep a good eye on it.
I'm still concerned. I'm estimating my winter bill price, will become my summer bill price, after that....the winter bill will probably be unpayable.
So what to do?
Stocking up with wood and coal(still at last winters prices even in the summer, it normaly goes down in the summer)
refill my camping gas cylinder for cooking, instead of using the electric cooker. Still trying to source a spare to fill up too.
A slow cooker for stews.
Snuggly throws bought for the bed, and living room.£9 each from b&m
Patchworking old charity shop blankets together for curtain linings...make sure your rail will hold the extra weight!!! Discovered that the hard way!
Door sausages and curtains for exterior doors., even if they are double glazed and well fitted.
Rugs on the floor. Even if there are carpets.
Warm sheepskin boot style slippers.
I've been knitting vests..or sleeveless pullovers, in wool for added warmth over flannel shirts.
Thermal lined jeans. Aldi do them in the winter season, or if you are feeling flush, rohan do too.
Plenty of candles and proper holders.
Lamps, wicks, and lamp oil.
I've done all I can.
If it gets as bad as they say, I will just ask to be cut off, and pretend I'm back in the caravan.
I'm thanking the gods I don't have small children or teens, , but I do have the need to stay warm with health issues.
Roundabouts and swings.
We can only do our best. Life has become cushy the last thirty or so years, I came through much worse in times gone by. So I'm not going to worry or panic.
My best friend has the right idea, she's going to stay with her daughter in New Zealand for the winter......jammy #####!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I have a neighbour who before covid used to fly to India every winter as it was cheaper including flights, food, accommodation than it was to stay in the UK.

A lot of folks (minus @Woody girl) have been quite food focused. What about various other bits n bobs? Paracetamol, ibuprofen etc? If things go south in a manner that you'd consider a grab bag a necessity, then things like those sorts of drugs are going to be important, long term illnesses aside, there is nothing more hindering than a minor pain/injury that lingers on when the pain could be gone with a simple pill...
Secondly what other things do you keep a stock of? Dishwashing liquid, clothes washing stuff, body wash, deodorant? Toothpaste?

...I mean if covid has shown us one thing, it's that we all need to keep a spare couple months of toilet paper locked away...if society does collapse I'd imagine that it'll be the new trading commodity..

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The thing to do is down size your living space, we currently live out of two rooms, but not really out of choice.

Looking ahead, we may move into our small 4 person caravan, as insolated and a 12v system......worth thinking about. Years ago I dreamed of a integrated 12 v system in my house, along side 240v

Reactions: Wandering Fred

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Since starting this thread, things have changed in the world a lot. like a lot of you, I have been thinking about where we can go from here, to prepare.

Interesting that the basics, shelter, energy, food and water are being discussed, as I log available water sources near to me, and get 3 months of food in, plus a years supply of beans, etc.

I have also been building our grab bags, and thinking about hunting methods, of which I am proficient in shooting, and in the past archery and catapults. The bag is still in development, as needs to contain clothes, first aid, hygiene bits, food, shelter, cooking and tool equipment.

The grab bag would be easy for just myself, but as a family unit, with 2 young children, it gets much harder.

IF you are really thinking along these lines ( not that i'm judging ) maybe as I believe you have some space at your property , consider getting some Rabbits to breed from and harvest. My family raised an incredible amount of rabbit meat from a few rabbits in just a small area. It wasn't necessarily because we wanted to just that being raised on a war pension with three other brothers and a heavily disabled father led to necessity finding different way to raise and procure food.

Rabbits are incredibly productive in terms of flesh produced to energy input / calories in - I will advise that you will probably get quite desensitised to harvesting them and the meat needs certain recipes to make it pleasurable - although maybe as I ate it 3 times a week the novelty wore off on me.

Hunting with a gun or bow is a great skill to have and practice but for a potential homestead scenario I would suggest raising rabbits as a very investable skill.

Reactions: gra_farmer
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE