Preparation of cotton balls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Whilst trawling the other day I found a write-up on how to prepare cotton balls with Vaseline as tinder. Now I can't find it :( Does anyone know where it was? If not, would someone go through it again for me please?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It's easy enough.
Take one cotton wool ball.
Stick your finger in a tub of vaseline. Smear finger/vaseline all over the cotton wool.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
there are a few different methods.
Some advocate heating up the vasaline, dipping it in with forceps, and squeezing out the excess.
I rub a blob into the bottom of a 35mm film capsule, place a ball in, add more vasaline, add ball, and repeat.
Push down to compact.
Works for me.
I've even put it in drinking straws for survival tins.
Just hot Crimp or seal the ends with wax.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm of the "dunk the cotton ball" school.

Be careful about melting vaseline. It's flammable. Use an electric stove or hotplate. Don't smoke. I melt a bunch of vaseline, then pour in a big handful of cotton balls, (pure cotton). I remove them one by one with long forceps. Each one gets pressed in a garlic press to remove the excess vaseline. To light, just fluff some of the fibers up and it will easily catch a firesteel spark. The full soak will make the cotton burn for a long time and help light a fire in wet conditions.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I prefer the flat cotton pads my wife uses to remove makup smeared with vaseline on the top. Fit more snugly into an old shoe polish tin. Just prize apart a little before lighting with a spark.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Just be careful not not to over load the cotton ball with Vaseline because if you do you wont be able to get at the cotton fibres to light them!

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks guys. I made up a load last night - only have gas at home so took it easy. Did about 22 part-balls in all, used two as 'test samples' :D and managed to get the rest into a 35mm film container. The two test samples were one with 'no vaseline', and then 'moderate dip' in vaseline. The one 'with' was fantastic :eek: so I'll definitely be trying some at the weekend with my new Hobo Stoves, unashamably copied direct from examples shown here on recent threads.

I've also packed another container with shavings from a hexamine block, along with a sheet of Hammaro Lighting Paper and a few pieces of Bulgarian Borina (pine) :rolleyes: I doubt if I'll get any fire started with a fire steel, but I will try. And if not, that's what the lighter is for :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, I've never had a problem lighting cotton balls given the full soak, as long as the excess is squeezed out. A pointy knife or a sharp twig can pull out more than enough fibers to catch a spark with a firesteel. Done it well over a hundred times at least. The advantage is that the cotton ball burns longer and will do a better job of lighting damp tinder.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I am lazy and take the fast, good enough approach. I smear vaseline on a cotton ball, shove it into a container and repeat as necessary. If I use a film canister, the vaseline gets smooshed around fine. And if I use a baggie, I just smoosh it around with my hands (outside of the bag). No fuss, no mess and works every time.

For really wet weather fire making, I always carry some fatwood with me. Fatwood and vaseline cotton balls with whatever else you have to start your fire is awesome. I haven't had that fail me either. And I have used it in heavy rain and with very wet fire wood.

The key to me is lots of dry tinder and kindling and preparation. Fatwood for tinder and kindling is very reliable, especially when used with the vaseline cotton ball.

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
I've been collecting thistle teasles for fast tinder ,would vaseline work with this as well, I havent tried yet but would welcome any advice ,if it does it would be really cool as I've got loads of them.:rolleyes:
Or I could just put a small tin of vaseline in my rucksack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE