Precision Engineer Advice Required

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
The locking bolt on my semi auto shotgun has broken, I think this part might not be replaceable from the vibes I'm getting. It's the bit the drill is pointing at. I wondered what would be the best way to repair this. It looks like it's machines out of solid steel of some sort.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
looking at the break, it looks cast rather than machined...If it is cast speak to a gunsmith, any decent engineering works would be able to machine a copy

how come you cant get parts?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
It's a Russian baikal, friends had said it was doubted I could get one, and there maybe a long wait if it is available, I have found the parts diagram and asked my local gunsmith if I can order one. However, it's the middle of blooming shooting season �� Could be doing with a repair.

Sunndog, it does look like a cast break but it isn't, it's defo solid machined steel, I thought maybe a weld or something

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Weld it back together and file it carefully to size. I've done it with no ill effects so long as it's not a pressure baring part, and it's not

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
ce937d7c9063046d1412e627a864df52.jpg

Managed to weld that no bother with stick. Runs sweet as a nut now. Not know anyone with a TIG set? Be able to get that perfect

Johnie

Oct 20, 2015
Sunderland
Mick91 's I've seen in person. I'm an engineer by trade and thought drill and tap would be the order but he welded it and it has held up perfect for about a year or something now. I'd give it a shot

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Shoot it with care.
If I read it correctly, that lug is part of the delayed blowback and will be taking the full pressure in the chamber.
If the weld gives, then the bolt could come back before the chamber pressure has dropped. That that would probably rupture the shell casing. You would probably only get a blast of gas from the ejection port, but there could be bits of plastic blown out too. Also there could be some venting around other parts of the action, which could come your way.
I strongly suggest you only shoot with eye protection and avoid loosing one off with anyone stood to the right of you.

Jules

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
It's the bolt lock, there is a gas operated mechanism that activates first from the fired cartridge that then unlocks this bolt and takes this bolt catch and the bolt itself backward ejecting the spent casing, it all happens after the firing event so it's plenty safe enough!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE