Jaegerschack! Rapid Shelter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Philipb recently raised the issue of whether shock corded fibre-glass poles were any use for tarp set up but later in the thread added a piece of info re what he wanted his shelter for -

'a quick stop in foul weather when you want a shelter just for a meal stop' -

I don’t recall if I’ve already posted this (can’t dig far enough back?) but even if so it’s worth a re-run I believe.

Have a look at the attached image(s).

This shelter kit was originally created decades ago around the time of the arched basher set up which I posted recently (quite a while before those (larger) now widely available river bank shelters became so prolific).

It was intended as a quick-stop (refs break) shelter as well as (later) for casual wildlife obs. It is as easy to open as a brolly and can be suspended and/or anchored in less than a minute in woodland or open country.

The one shown is a modified Fulton umbrella, large version. It has a strong fibre glass central pole and fibre glass spreaders.

The original cover material was a bit thin for the purpose in mind and was initially recovered with a u/s Brit Army poncho but later replaced with a past-it's-best, Austrian Army surplus poncho (a better colour than the original black and the brighter green Brit too IMHO). A single guy line tab was sewn in at the front but some of the eyelets from the poncho also ended up nicely positioned.

Using the same material I added a curtain for attachment at the rear which simply press-studs on/off (on the inside ) as required. The length of the curtain was cut to suit me in an upright sitting position. The curtain has several eyelets along the bottom hem to stake it down if required.

A hole was bodged through the 'spike' end of the brolly shaft and a piece of 20lb fishing line fed through it a few times to create a loop from which to hang the shelter.

Originally that was it, I put up with the brolly handle dangling beneath the shelter for years. About five years back I came into a bit of – time! and a requirement to bring this particular shelter kit out of retirement - and the 'dangling handle' had to be sorted!
On this shelter I simply cut the brolly shaft just below the point where it protrudes through the push-up section leaving enough spare to drill a hole for a split pin to hold the brolly in the open position.

More recently, sometimes there hasn't been a conveniently positioned (suspension) tree at the point from which I want to observe - enter the good old expanding Rawl bolt.

On a second brolly, a better colour for the green season (The Range £8) I cut the umbrella shaft just below the point where it protrudes through the locking mechanism when the brolly is opened up.

I carefully sanded out the inner diameter of each shaft until they would take the expanding section of a Rawl bolt and then glued them into each cut end of the shaft(s).
One of the bolts has had the normal long bolt removed and replaced with a suitably threaded nut.

Result – removable (or replaceable) brolly handle.

Although I use the set predominantly in woodland I can if needs be attach a section of modified walking pole (or a normal one) to the lower brolly shaft and set up without the use of trees – which might be of use to pilipb and others.

If you decide to try this - POINTS TO NOTE:

1. Keep close control of the large spring as you make adjustments – it can pop out. Wear safety glasses until you have the hang of it.
2. Take care not to over-sand the shafts nor over-tighten the Rawl bolts.

When using it I carry the set in a specially made bag which attaches vertically to the outside of my ruck. :)

Jaegerschack(i).jpg Jaegerschack(ii).jpg Jaegerschack(iii).jpg Jaegerschack(iv).jpg Jaegerschack(v).jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks each for the positive comments,

I've just dug out some pics of the 8 quid brolly after it's conversion and reminded myself that I had also cut about 3cms off the end of each frame spoke (easy task) in order to reduce it's overall pack size. That also added a bit of a hem which helped with better attachment of the rear wall.

Jaegerschack(vi).jpg Jaegerschack(vii).jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Mousey,

You gave me a moment there, I'd answered the recent (other) thread and this one turned up when I reopened the site! :lmao:

Thanks for the comments - despite fairly quick/simple/crude creation both are still in regular use - the Fulton during the brown and the eight quid one in the green season.

Set up correctly they keep the rain off yer heed and the wind off yer back.:)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Philster,

Nice find, fairly cheap and saves the work that I did - but I can't tell if the pole is removable - if not it can be a real pain if you're brewing up/heating food up and need to be leaning back and forth. Might still require the mod.

I like the idea of zip attached walls. :)

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
That's a brilliant setup - I've just been googling brollies and found this one, ready modded!!

http://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/99399-michigan-fishing-umbrella-with-sides.html

Got to say for £22.95 for an 86" one , these fishing brollies with zip on sides look good and probably double as a trekking pole?
http://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/99399-michigan-fishing-umbrella-with-sides.html
brolly%20with%20sides.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE