pre-stringing a tarp.... help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I recently bought a dd tarp, and bought their recommended ridge line also, 10 metres of 6mm nylon. A bit heavy though at 160g, and i see that people are using far thinner and lighter ropes. What sorta size can you go down to and still expect the tarp to survive reasonable winds? I just assumed the 6mm stuff was the safe option, but its a bit heavy for me.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Surviving wind usually comes down to how taught the tarp is overall... Any flappy bits will be the first to break. As for cordage, you can get dyneema very small and it will still provide ample strength. I always found it a bit slippery and quick to tangle though. I find 2mm accessory cord to be pretty good, holds a knot well and is easy to manipulate. For general bashas with a full ridge line, I have always been fond of the cordage sold by Woodlore.

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
I'm looking forward to having a play around really.. I have noticed on the ex army tarp that the loops, which would form the ridge sit 90 degrees out to the direction that the ridgeline would run.. not sure what the reasoning for this is? I'm going to rig it when I'm up there and try both ways to see which i prefer. the Amok tarp had a full ridge line, so i can compare and contrast.. I'll put a post up once I'm back (April 1st) and some pictures too. thanks again for all of the useful posts.

Cheers,

FFM

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm looking forward to having a play around really.. I have noticed on the ex army tarp that the loops, which would form the ridge sit 90 degrees out to the direction that the ridgeline would run.. not sure what the reasoning for this is? I'm going to rig it when I'm up there and try both ways to see which i prefer. the Amok tarp had a full ridge line, so i can compare and contrast.. I'll put a post up once I'm back (April 1st) and some pictures too. thanks again for all of the useful posts.

Cheers,

FFM

Bashas aren't set up with a ridgeline (although possible) due to the time it would take to put up / awkwardness to take down in a hurry.

Tonyuk

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Some good tips and links here, plus food for though about configurations.

I have my tarp rigged to go with a ridge line of about 20m of para cord, but am thinking of going for a 2mm cord from the QMs (if I can get any). But pre stringing does mean a hassle when you need to reconfigure to a basha. Hmm.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Tonyuk.. How are bashas best employed?

They can be used as tarps but aren't really designed to be rigged in the same way. The cord is best attached to the eyelets rather than a line through them. I like to use the method i described above with a basha. Very quick to put up and take down.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Been having a look at some lighter cordage, which has consumed about 2 hours more than id have thought possible :rolleyes:
Got the suspects picked out, but just incase theres a diffrence, can someone point out why 50metres of this
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...es/stein-skyline-2-2mm-dyneema-throwline-50m/

is cheaper than 30metres of this? http://www.cleats.co.uk/browse-by-p...605pr-2mm-blue-dyneema-guy-line-30m-reel.html.

Gonna get the 50m of 2.2 if they are both the same stuff, other than the size diffrence.

Been out for past 2 days in new tarp and hammock, and have decided i like having the ridgeline pre attached, but im gonna stick some karabiners on for the next time, so that i can alter the tarp shape and guy line positions with less hassle than redoing knots in the wind and rain.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
They aren't the same. The Stein Skyline is hollow braid, so it's easy to splice. And it's all dyneema, so stronger. The other stuff is a dyneema core with a different outer sheath. Not as strong, but will take knots easier.
But they are both massively over specc'ed for guylines. I use hollow braid dyneema fishing line, 1.2mm for ridgelines and 1mm for guys.

--
Gadget.

Jackdaw

If you are a visual learner then you might want to have a look at McQBushcraft's youtube channel as he has a video of a pretty simple, yet effective, set up for tarps. Some good ideas in it as well.

That said, if you're using the issue basha to simply cover kit and your dog then I would use it as intended; a simple lean to shelter using bungees.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Ah, thanks. How do you tell the stein was hollow braid?
Is it the flat part?
This line has an 8-strand flat construction

Actually ordered and received today anyway, just spent past couple hours cutting and tying guy lines and adding clam cleats and karabiners. Got a pretty nice setup now, and no more big bulky 6mm ridgeline

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE