chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm thinking about getting a Zebra Billy from Woodlore. They have three sizes:

- 12cm, which holds 1.5ltrs
- 14cm, which holds 2.5ltrs
- 16cm, which holds 3.5ltrs

Obviously, I don't want to have to carry too much weight or loose too much space, but at the same time I want it to be practical. I'm thinking middle ground, so 14cm with a 2.5 litre capacity. Good for cooking and enough to boil up a couple of litres for the water bottles. What sort of size/capacity do you guys get by with?

They're all the same cost so that's not an issue.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
That's what I was hoping to hear. I think 2cm in width and height is a pretty good trade-off for another litre in capacity. I think 16cm would be a little too much. I'd never need 3.5 litres in one go.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I got the 16 cm one ,not for the capacity but because my trangia kettle fits inside and so does all my cooking kit and burner.I thought it was worth the extra bulk.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't want under the 14cm and remember you can pack gear in them so you don't really loose space in your pack

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I felt the same and went the 14cm route. You can do two boil in the bag meals and have plenty of water for brews. You cna put plenty of brew kit inside aswell so you're saving space.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
This is a highly contentious topic amongst bushcrafters and one that will always attract very strong views from all sides. Dont let either the 12 or 16cm camps give you a hard time just because you have taken 'the middle road'. Indeed why not start a poll?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I felt the same and went the 14cm route. You can do two boil in the bag meals and have plenty of water for brews. You cna put plenty of brew kit inside aswell so you're saving space.

Good man, the 12cm is really only good for making a brew. I use a 2, 4, and 6 pint nesting pot set most of the time on camps and the 4 and 6 pint are used by far the most

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Good man, the 12cm is really only good for making a brew. I use a 2, 4, and 6 pint nesting pot set most of the time on camps and the 4 and 6 pint are used by far the most

bang on the head! I have a 14-15cm billy and I manage to keep a non-stick mess tin inside for frying plus firelighting kit!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Timely thread as I've been looking at these too. Presumably the 12 will stack in the 14 which will stack in the 16?

They will, but if you get them from Mr Mears site, they come with bowls which you will have to remove to stack. Not sure if they'd stack too well with the lids on either as they're not flat.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I prefer the 14.
I have the 10 and the 12, but the 14 gets the most use.
you can put less in a large billy but you can't put more in a small one.
I grind off the handles and add steel wire to make them more packable.
Another advantage of this of course, is that the bail stands upright without help keeping the bail cool in the fire.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Mine arrived today and it's really good quality; I'm quite impressed. A little bulkier than a crusader cup, but way more practical.

Those of you with stainless hobo stoves, where did you get your whatevers to make it from?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE