Powering Laptops in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im sure This has been covered before but cant find the thread

Im thinking of getting a laptop, but I want to be able to keep it running.

I know you can get leads for car, but what about in the field?

would a mobile charger do??

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can run mine from the Land Rovers - get into pretty much any field.

Sorry not much help.

I believe you can get some half decent solar panels that will run a laptop - but I'm not sure how portable they are or how efficient they are in the UK.

Guess you might nee 2 batteries, use one recharge one.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Tengu said:
would a mobile charger do??

Doubt it very much.

The other problems that i reckon you'd have would be with screen brightness. Using a laptop in the sun is a pain in the backside. So you have to have the screen brightness turned right up...thus draining the battery quicker. You probably find that charging whilst in use would be near on ineffective unless you find a solar panel with a decent output. So would DEFINATELY need to charge while not in use.

The second battery idea is a good one, but not sure how you would go about charging it if its not plugged into the laptop..i'd think you'd need a special cradle. Not sure these even exist

You could get away with charging a laptop off a 12V solar panel but teh next problem youd encounter is that youd need to sort out the cables to attach it to the laptop. Most laptop brands use a different adaptor size/style. These may well be supplied with a decent panel though.

But you'll be looking at a hefty priced solar panel for something that can deliver the power you'd need to charge while in use. You'd need to find a panel that meets the power requirements of the battery of the laptop as again these will change but looking at mine needs 3.5A. So trying very hard to recall my school pyhsics lessons that youd need a 12V panel with 34Watts output to get 3.5A to charge the laptop battery. Anything lower than that and you'd be using more than you can supply and would have to charge while turned off.

My understanding of electronics is pretty basic, so my be a little incorrect on some of this. But pretty sure that is about right.

Can't suggest any suppliers for panels though im afraid.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Looking on the bottom of my laptop (this one i'm using now :) ) the supply requirements are 20 Volts DC at 4.5 Amps.
From memory, all the laptops i've had (Dell, Compaq, Toshiba) have needed supplies of 19 / 19.5 / 20 volt so won't run from a normal 12Volt car system :(

The Dell i have at the moment allows me to remove the floppy drive and fit a second battery in it's place - this gives an extended run time, but the most i've got out of it (with new batteries) is about 5 hours on 2 batteries - this soon deteriates as the batteries wear, to around 3.5 hours at the moment for batteries that were new just before christmas. IIRC the batteries were around £80 EACH!!

HTH
Steve

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
You’ll need a decent solar panel arrangement charging a 12V power pack, you then charge your laptop from the power pack using the 12V car charger lead (if it has that option) or inverter rather than directly from the panel.

Running delicate electronics directly from your solar panel is generally not a good idea.

This is my setup:
P1010095.jpg

as you can see the Kalahari is not short of sunlight
P1010085.jpg

The panel here is a 12Volt 12Watt C.I.G.D manufactured by Global Solar.

It is flexible, you can fold it up and stick it in the map pocket of your trousers and its very difficult to damage.

I'm using it to charge a dozen AA batteries for my Camera/GPS and run my palmtop via an ICP power pack. (Which is the size of a VHS tape, but is no longer manufactured)

a laptop is likely to draw more power so you will probably need a larger panel and a power pack capable of a higher output.

25-30Watt panel combined with something like an Xantrex Xpower300 is a popular full expedition capable combination, which should be able to run just about anything you want, it will set you back almost £500 though and whilst the pannel is very compact you probably wouldnt want to carry the battery pack around in your bergan.

would a palmtop be suitable for your intended application? they are much easier charge and easier to keep from getting damaged

Feb 2, 2007
South London
This isnt very buschcrafty but sometimes you want a bit more comfort and technology on some trips.

You can get 12 volt to laptop adaptors for pretty much any laptop you want.
So you can run it from the car 12 volt source.
How about one of the jump/leasure battery packs.
Not much use if you are back packing but then solar panels would probably be too big as well.

For our longer family camping trips with our large frame tent we use a battery/starter pack we got from halfords for our 12volt camp lighting.
It also has an inverter built in. Only realy useful for car based trips.
We top it up as we use the land rover during the day.

On my wish list is a couple of leasure batterys mounted in my sankey trailer and solar panels on a bracket topping them up. This would power all our lighting and technology for our luxury camps.

Do you realy need a full laptop?
How about a pda. You can get solar power solutions for these and mobile phones. I have seen a day sack with a battery and flexible solar panels built in for recharging digital camera's, pda's and phones.
Also small folding solar panels to directly charge them.
So if you dont need a full laptop a pda would use much less power and run for longer.

Gordon

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Depending on what you want to do on the laptop you might be interested in these
http://olpc.com/
I can't find the link I had months ago but recall them there was moves to make them available to the general public on a buy 2 get 1 for yourself and the other to go to good cause, not sure if that's still planned so if interested a little research would be needed.

The specification and price has gone up since the original idea but the latest info I have is here
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070430-behind-the-olpc-price-bump-better-hardware.html

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
If you really want to stick with your laptop you will be best off with a flexible or folding photovoltaic panel . The best panels out there in terms of output are monocrystaline or polycrystaline. Flexible panels typically put out only half the power of a rigid panel so you need twice as many to compete but lets face it who is going to strap a glass panel to their Bergen! I have run a laptop on a solar panel and would suggest that you go for the biggest output your budget can afford. Realistically a 60 or 80 watt panel should keep you in power unless it's really overcast. If you are going to use the laptop for an hour or two at most each day a 40 watt P.V. should do. Look for a simple charge regulator which displays the state of charge. You will find that the panel will dictate how much you can use the laptop. Expect to spend at least £400 for a half decent panel/ regulator. Good Luck and let us know how you get on ;)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Maplins...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99760&doy=15m5

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/n00cx_closed.jpg

13W Solar Briefcase

• Portable solar generator
• Built into a protective briefcase making it ideal for camping, caravanning and marine use
• Ideal for DC fridges, laptops, mobile phones, GPS etc
• Integrated adjustable angle support
• Powerful 13 watt solar charger
• Easy storage
• Includes 4A charge regulator
• Charges 3V, 6V, 9V and 12V appliances
• Flashing charge indicator and blocking diode

Complete with all leads needed
Suitable for all 12 Volt battery systems

The generator comes complete with an adjustable angle support that allows you to position the solar panels in prime sunlight.
During peak hours of sunshine, a mobile phone can be charged in an hour. The solar panel is an amorphous receptor and is ideally suited to the northern European climate to enable the optimum use of daylight hours.

Now £39.99

And...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36836&source=2001&doy=15m5

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/n59ac_own.jpg

Laptop Car Adaptor

• Works with most notebook computers
• Stabilized output, low ripple and low interference
• Adjustable output voltage (DC 15,16,18,19,20, 22 and 24 V)
• Output 3.5A max (2.9A on DC 22 & 24 V)
• High efficiency and low energy consumption
• Power LED monitor
• Includes 5 interchangeable power plugs
• 10A fuse for overload protection

This high power DC adaptor is designed to power popular brand notebook computers which require DC input from 15V to 24V while travelling in a car. The adaptor features overload and short circuit protection to protect it from damage.
Laptop Car Adaptor

• Works with most notebook computers
• Stabilized output, low ripple and low interference
• Adjustable output voltage (DC 15,16,18,19,20, 22 and 24 V)
• Output 3.5A max (2.9A on DC 22 & 24 V)
• High efficiency and low energy consumption
• Power LED monitor
• Includes 5 interchangeable power plugs
• 10A fuse for overload protection

This high power DC adaptor is designed to power popular brand notebook computers which require DC input from 15V to 24V while travelling in a car. The adaptor features overload and short circuit protection to protect it from damage.

Hope that helps.

LS

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
well, blow me, I should have known Maplins would have something...Dads always getting strange electrical bits from their catalogue.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
My first question is do you really need a laptop?

I use a PDA (Palm Lifedrive) for data collection, serial interface with my dive computer, buffering photo's off my camera and email / web connectivity (bluetoothed through my cell phone or through its inbuilt wifi if in range of an access point). It has a 4gb hard drive on board and also takes SD cards. The good thing about it is that it has a 9 hour battery life, easily charges from solar / car batteries / any power source that can provide 5v to it's usb port (I've made up a nicad pack which I can carry with if necessary - gives me about 2 more complete charges of its internal battery). I can even watch films on it (a dvd encoded to divx takes up about 1gb of its storage, although it thrashes the battery a bit). I use a bluetooth folding keyboard for lots of text input.

It's a lot more portable / durable than a laptop and has a ton more battery life (reducing your need to recharge). Depending on what you need it for, it might be worth considering a PDA over a laptop.

just my 2p

Matt

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
MattW said:
My first question is do you really need a laptop?

Yep, I don't have a PDA, so if I was needing something to use it would have to be my laptop, however, I try to leave it behind and get away from it once in a while...:lmao:

LS

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
ludlowsurvivors said:
13W Solar Briefcase
• Ideal for DC fridges, laptops, mobile phones, GPS etc

Sorry to put a damper on it but there is no way that a 13 watt amorphous panel is going to power a laptop in any useable manner. As for Maplin's claim that it is ideal for Dc fridges, that is ludicrous and they are probably breeching trading standards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE