Powering Laptops in the field

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Tengu said:
Im sure This has been covered before but cant find the thread

Im thinking of getting a laptop, but I want to be able to keep it running.

I know you can get leads for car, but what about in the field?

would a mobile charger do??

Strewth Tengu, whatever do you need to take your laptop to the woods/field for :confused: That's part of the point isn't it getting away from it all and know more carry less an all that. ..................Oh well each to his own and if we were all the same....................an all that. Hope you find what your looking for

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
falling rain said:
Strewth Tengu, whatever do you need to take your laptop to the woods/field for :confused: That's part of the point isn't it getting away from it all and know more carry less an all that. ..................Oh well each to his own and if we were all the same....................an all that. Hope you find what your looking for

:lmao: was wondering when someone was going to ask. ;)

Well one of my mates, is climbing everest at the moment as part of the scouts anniversary thingy. I'm very pleased to be able to stay in touch with them and hear whats going on via their base camp.

But other than stuff like that it is a bit ott int it!

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
In my defence, I only take my palmtop out when required to by work - otherwise it's just my mobile (switched off unless its really needed) :)

Matt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting views.

I tend to agree in terms of too much gear, but there are a few things I like

I have a tiny radio with an earpiece and a speaker. Sad I know but theres a pleasure in listening to a good radio 4 play or " a book at bedtime" through an earpiece -a bit like edispilffs e-books. I like a book too but lieing quietly in the dark with a great storyteller reading you a classic is a great pleasure.

The ability to charge batteries for my head torch, pocket torch and digi cam is nice too.

I have recently ordered a decent solar charger for longer trips to power the AA batteries these all use and plan to try it out this year.

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I have been thinking about fixing a flexible panel to my Sabre 45 for some time.
A small charge regulator is a good idea and takes up very little space. Wire in a micro socket and have plug sockets like these...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=43980&doy=17m5
connecting to PDA/MOBILE so they charge while I'm bimbling, also a small (and I mean small) battery to run an LED cluster on a length of multistrand wire so I have plenty of light. I think bungees or similar would be good for holding the panel onto the pack and for easy detachment.

This is a rubbish pack with a rubbish panel but it demonstrates the idea...

http://www.gadgetshop.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=956

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE