Powdered Egg Disaster

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
OK, I may be over egging the pudding (sorry) but I’m eggtremely eggasperated (ok I’ll stop). I’ve always bought powdered egg from Tesco but they, or at least my local store, have stopped stocking it.

I’ve checked all the other local supermarkets and health food shops and the closest I’ve found is wheat free, gluten free, no cholesterol, no lactose, no egg egg substitute – mmm tasty!

Does anyone know of somewhere I can buy some?

Ta, AJB

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
OK, I may be over egging the pudding (sorry) but I’m eggtremely eggasperated (ok I’ll stop). I’ve always bought powdered egg from Tesco but they, or at least my local store, have stopped stocking it.

I’ve checked all the other local supermarkets and health food shops and the closest I’ve found is wheat free, gluten free, no cholesterol, no lactose, no egg egg substitute – mmm tasty!

Does anyone know of somewhere I can buy some?

Ta, AJB
Either ebay, or your local fishing tackle shop (not sure if it is food grade,) but it's used to make boilies :D

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You could try a surplus store, but it'd have to be a big one that stocks ten man ration packs. I know it used to be in them at one point.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the 10 man ORP still has it and if its been used in the uk it normaly gets bined due to a fresh supliment (which normaly includes eggs).......

if you know any soldiers just ask them to speek to the chefs on the next exercise and they will probably get you a whole load of it.......

hope this helps.......

chris........

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
the 10 man ORP still has it and if its been used in the uk it normaly gets bined due to a fresh supliment (which normaly includes eggs).......

if you know any soldiers just ask them to speek to the chefs on the next exercise and they will probably get you a whole load of it.......

hope this helps.......

chris........

We used to use it in place of flour for "antiquing" a sleeping member of the Section! :D Just because you're on exercise, doesn't mean you cannot have fun at somebody elses' expense!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks guys. Sadly I don’t know anyone currently serving, but if anyone wants to help...

However, I wanted this lot to try and make a dry American pancake mix for camping (even though I could buy some in the shops) and have just cooked up a test batch with the Plaster of Paris mentioned below – and blow me it worked a treat – V tasty so I might just stick to this stuff I can get.

I found some proper powdered egg on eBay at about a tenner for, I think, a pound, which is not too expensive I guess, but I don’t really need that much.

Thanks for all your help.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im serving but away for 6-7 months going to afghan......

will try and bring some back for the lads on here if i can fit it into my bags.....

needles to say that wont be for errrrrrrrm a while.....lol

chris...............

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
im serving but away for 6-7 months going to afghan......

will try and bring some back for the lads on here if i can fit it into my bags.....

needles to say that wont be for errrrrrrrm a while.....lol

chris...............

Hey, thanks for that pal, but more importantly take care out there. Thank you for what you're doing.

Andy

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Ok, from SWAT (Survival, Weaponry and Techniques) magazine, February 1990, in a letter from J.W.Pratt, Northants:

Dried eggs are a good source of protein, and have almost the same nutritional value as fresh eggs. They work well in most recipes, and particularly well in scrambled eggs or omelettes. One dozen dried eggs weigh only 4ozs (115g).
To make, separate the whites and yolks of one dozen eggs. Beat the yokes until smooth, and pour the liquid onto a tinfoil lined tray. Spread it thinly and dry slowly in a gentle oven heat. When almost dry, it helps to chop and crumble the layer, and then dry again. When the yolks are thoroughly dry and leathery, crush the mixture into a fine powder and wrap up.
Put the whites of the eggs into a bowl and whisk until stiff (as for meringues). Add a teaspoon of tartar and whisk again. Then spread thinly on tinfoil on a baking tray, and dry in a slow oven. When the mixture is completely dry crumble into a powder and wrap separately from the yolks.
Dried eggs keep for months if stored away from direct heat, damp and sunlight.
To remake one egg, take a large spoonful of yolk powder and the same of white, and mix with two or three spoonfuls of water. Let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes until it thickens and then use as fresh eggs.

Not a bad issue this one. A certain Mr John Fenna contributes articles on the Battle Orders White Bear 'Buddy' Knife and making your own Chaps and Mitts!

Mark

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
When you find some that you like, will you be eggstatic...
happy0054.gif

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
"Dear Andy,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the above product and we would confirm that Dr. Oetker purchased the SuperCook brand in 2008.

Unfortunately Handy Egg was discontinued some time ago following its delisting by Tesco and Sainsbury, and there are no longer any stocks available.

However, I will retain your details on file, should the situation change in the future.

Kind regards.

Jenny Stones
Consumer Services Dept"

I'll stop looking for it then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE