Potty pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huwenduro

Jun 3, 2018
Swansea
I realise that starting my first thread about something called a potty pack might seem odd but hey ho.

I have been trying to find an alternative to the potty pack or sh!t kit sold in the good old USA. I can not find a retailer in the uk and they appear not to ship to the uk. They sound useful especially with my two young un's.

This is a link Has any one found a similar product in the uk?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Could you not just buy some disposable paper seat covers, a pack of travel tissues, wet wipes, hand sanitizer and make your own?

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
If camping I use a digging stick and say a leaf or the fur of some struggling animal, if a festival then loo roll, wipes and a made up card board seat if bum to seat contact freaks you or the loo is just rank.

Reactions: Huwenduro

Huwenduro

Jun 3, 2018
Swansea
I have thought if making my own but I already carry some essentials. It was the ready made pack for single use I like the idea of. The toilet seat cover was not really of interest.

To be honest I find chasing down a small furry creature quite tedious....oh and they bite! :wideyed:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thr packaging around the items seems to be plastic, the seat cover - ?, the wet wiped does not compose in nature, the hand wipes the same.

Do you fancy carrying that debris home? To be frank, I would not.
Their Sh!t Kitdoes contain a disposal bag or carrying the debris home!

Reactions: Woody girl

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oh good grief!!!! It is things like this that make me realise I will never manage to make money as an entrepreneur. There is no way that I could ever imagine that people would actually buy something as ridiculous as that Potty Pack.

Don't use wet wipes for anything. They don't degrade, and even if they did, they would just become more plastic micro fibre pollution. You can do just fine with a pack of Kleenex tissues, ideally the Balsam Balm sort (resist becoming soggy, and burn better). A small bottle of hand gel is good for more than going to the toilet.

Reactions: MrEd

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1

Paper hankies (that will break down properly) and a wee bottle of alcohol hand gel cleans anything dodgy.
If you don't want to use alcohol gel then you can make up your own wet wipes by using one of the stronger paper towel rolls, like Bounty, cut it into two toilet roll sized pieces, remove the cores, and put it into a washbag or tub with a pull through lid. Add whatever liquid you like and let it soak up. Use from the centre of the roll. Home-made, biodegradable wipes. Simple.

Anyway, ladies don't sit on public toilets; we're taught to 'hover' from childhood, and if the kids are old enough to go to the loo on their own, they're old enough to learn to hover. Otherwise Mum or Dad keep them held above the seat until they're empty :)

M

Huwenduro

Jun 3, 2018
Swansea
I have a 3 and 5 year old so wet wipes are a fact of life as is carrying them home. They are always disposed of responsibly.

As I said before im not interested in the toilet seat.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Flush them down the loo and they block the drains and sewage handling equipment. Put them in land fill and they just stay there. They are plastic..unless you are buying a special compost-able brand.

If you really want that product (which I think is nought more than an over-priced, over marketed collection of common items you could put together yourself), you would probably get more useful guidance on where to find it on Mumsnet than on bushcraft and camping forums. You are more likely to get suggestions for flammable, or furry, alternatives here ;)

Best of luck.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a 3 and 5 year old so eet wipes are a fact of life as is carrying them home. They are always disposed of responsibly.

As I said before im not interested in the toilet seat.

I had two boys with only twenty months between them. I never used a wet wipe on them. Disposable was cotton wool (and it was cotton) and we carried a damp flannel in a small wash bag (the modern roll top ones are excellent)

Up to yourself, but using 'wipes' is very much not perceived as a good thing here now.

M

Reactions: Woody girl

Huwenduro

Jun 3, 2018
Swansea
I'm well aware of the problems with disposing of wet wipes down a drain. I'm a civil engineer who has worked on quite a few water treatment and maitenence schemes in my time. We (ie me and my mrs) have never flushed a wet wipe or even coffee granuals down a drain as both have very real impacts on water treatment and transport systems. As i said they get disposed of responsibly.

I see the forum populace are not keen on them so I'll just leave it at that. Thanks for replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Put some bog roll (or better, kitchen paper) in a ziploc bag. Double bagging doesn't hurt. And, use it for everything. Patching wounds, wiping whatever needs wiping, filtering coffee and so forth. Obviously be careful if multi-using. :)

Always keep some sudocreme or similar in your first aid bag in case of nappy rash :lol: Nothing worse than chafing in the knickers

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Oh good grief!!!! It is things like this that make me realise I will never manage to make money as an entrepreneur. There is no way that I could ever imagine that people would actually buy something as ridiculous as that Potty Pack.

Don't use wet wipes for anything. They don't degrade, and even if they did, they would just become more plastic micro fibre pollution. You can do just fine with a pack of Kleenex tissues, ideally the Balsam Balm sort (resist becoming soggy, and burn better). A small bottle of hand gel is good for more than going to the toilet.

Spot on mate, same here

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Please do not use wet wipes, or my good natured father will come and rip your guts out.

He is sick of the Chapel toilet getting blocked. Every time that happens its £200 to fix

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm going to buck the trend here and say I do use a few wet wipes when camping but they go on the fire for disposal along with plastic food packaging and the like.

I dislike plastics but acknowledge that they are a feature of the modern world as it stands at the moment so learning how to dispose of them properly is the best thing.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Having taken 2 children camping from babe's in arms I can appreciate that parents want a quick fix... but.. I never used wet wipes. A simple damp muslin cloth in a ziplock bag is all you need. And of course sudocream. I used a muslin nappy liner cut into several pieces. You can buy muslin washcloths for pennies in home bargains if you don't have liners or buy a yard of muslin and make dozens for a few pence more. Been used along with a bit of soap and water for donkeys years.. When you have the opportunity just throw in the washing machine. For toileting use loo paper. It's what it's for funnily enough. Teach them to wash their own hands so you are not following them around with a wet wipe and doing it for them. Does anyone else remember a white hankie being whipped out , licked, and having your face scrubbed with it? Orrible! And let's not forget Izal tracing paper!.... sorry I meant toilet paper .

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE