Pots and pans!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've not found my ideal pot and pan set up yet. I have a great lifeventure stainless pan and lid, it's about a litre, which is great for my wee wood stove but it's useless for frying as everything sticks to it. It's identical to this one:

MSR steel pan

I like that it's steel, solid, it locks itself up and doesn't rattle, it comes in a bag so it doesn't clang and rub soot on everything. Plus no holes in the lid which is what I'm after.

I've seen a few pots about that have a frying pan lid. I'm really wary as they seem to be all aluminium or titanium, which tends to be a bit frail. I don't want something that's gonna fall apart after a seasons use. I really need a frying pan though, especially a good size one as I'm likely to be frying fresh fish on it.

Any recommendations? I'd even consider a nest arrangement with a couple of pans.

Thanks!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Salvage a wire grill rack from a disposable BBQ and seek out a Teflon fry-sheet, sometimes referred to as BBQ Grill mats and/or frying pan liners. Versatile. lightweight and relatively inexpensive it should tickle all the tastebuds.

FRYSHEET.jpg

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
What is the diameter of the base of the pot, if you're happy with your stainless pot then I would look for a frying pan / skillet pan that nestles on the bottom of it, I like the looks of those sheets, interesting idea ?

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just posted my answer elsewhere on here to someone selling one. Use 90% of the time a metal mug either an old Dutch aluminium or the crusader mug. Occasionally us a old trangia or the pathfinder frying pan

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thinking about trying the newer shaped crusader mk2 mug. See if it better, certainly bigger which may be a good or bad thing

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
With temperatures getting to the mid teens during November and December, dropping occasionally to a creeping cold damp and then rising again, much kit is sat in the cupboard with us just venturing out to walk the dogs and get back home again. I know a lot of you have snow and freezing temperatures. Here in West Sussex we don’t, but it’s been cold enough outside today and probably the rest of the week to prompt a search for the Craghopper insulated trousers, an unshrunk pair of Army Arctic socks, and the Mad Bomber rabbit skin “Uncle Buck” hat.

While I was on, I decided to get the stoves and pots out, check everything works and is fuelled etc. And that I have a lighter with me this time after a bacon roll disaster a while ago.:banghead2:

The Svea is working a treat, probably hasn’t been lit in a good couple of years. No fuel needed adding, just the usual squirt of Dragon Gel around the base of the burner tube. I do love this stove, I must use it more often.

A33B88B5-45F5-4CAB-B31C-90E9CCF0F40D.jpeg

Here they are on the cooker. The Svea nests well in a Primus Litech Trek Kettle. The kettle is easily large enough to fry up some food for two and tip a tin of beans into, though the lid/frying pan isn’t good for much except a couple of eggs.

88C1B363-6591-4BAB-B1F0-F257AB05C614.jpeg

To the left is a Lixada Titanium that nests a 100g gas can and the truly tiny BRS Ti stove. This set up is spot on for one, like for a pack of noodles or cuppa type thing. It’s not great for cooking much other than water.

On the right, the £7.50 stainless Stanley with two nesting cups. I like this one, though a hanging bail would make it very much more versatile. Obviously whichever stove needs to be carried separately, but it’s still a good pot for a cuppa for two.

1FC40D69-DEA5-46F5-B96D-4C626901A4DC.jpeg

There was a thread a little while back about someone wanting to make a Ramen type stock powder. Well, I’ve had a go and it’s ok.

2 Bovril or 4 Oxo cubes
1 Knorr Chicken stock cube
1 Teaspoon Marigold veg stock
1/4 teaspoon each of onion salt, celery salt, and smoked garlic granules
pinches of dried herbs, I used sage, thyme, marjoram and some dried chives and parsley too (bit tasteless, but add colour).

Cheat mode, 1/4 a teaspoon of Reggae Reggae meat rub and a smidge of Chipotle flakes, pinch of black pepper.

All smashed and mixed in a little herb jar, it’s not bad at all. Add tomato ketchup or purée if you want.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Or, do what I do if I'm going lightweight, don't fry!

In a base camp you just can't beat good, well seasoned, cast iron but out on the trail I keep cooking simple and as clean as possible - no greasy mess to clean up etc.

Two rashers of bacon, a cut up sausage, a handful of mushrooms, and a small can of baked beans will easily go in the Trek Kettle, plus an egg in the pan. Tip the lot into a bap. Chuck the pot in a carrier bag and take both home to wash.

Im talking about walking the dogs up the hill and back while having something amusing and pleasant to do on the way, whether it’s a cup of tea or a bacon roll, or cup-a-soup and a sandwich. I would bother with a wok if I’m just stuffing a pot and two cups in a MaxP shoulder bag while out for an hour.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The real problem regarding weight isn’t going to be the vessel you fry with: it’s going to be carrying the oil to fry in.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The real problem regarding weight isn’t going to be the vessel you fry with: it’s going to be carrying the oil to fry in.

None needed with the non-stick anodised Trek Kettle. Bacon and sausage provide easily enough, as does a miniature Glenfiddich bottle if doing an egg. I really reckon you’re overthinking either a sandwich or a cup of tea or hot stock while out for a little walk. I’m simply a bit fed up with being indoors so have dug out a few things to make going out more fun.

Here is my bag, my sit mats, my pot and stove. There is room to carry a sausage, bacon, some eggs, a roll, a hat.

392D7AB6-8EFD-41A6-8B04-D6021177D195.jpeg

Reactions: santaman2000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH I was more replying to the OP (I didn't realise it was an old thread) but I do take your point about a quick brew. I've just never been one for complex cooking whilst on the trail; I'll cook a five course meal back at base camp but walking it will be a hot cuppa and a snack.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah, that’s probably what happened. “Get a wok”. I wondered how that fit it.

I just looked at this bit of the forum, found a thread called pots and pans and added to it because I dug out a few tidy nesters and stoves. I’ve been meaning to for ages, if only to spend a half hour under a dripping tree more fun.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Broch

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
None needed with the non-stick anodised Trek Kettle. Bacon and sausage provide easily enough, as does a miniature Glenfiddich bottle if doing an egg. I really reckon you’re overthinking either a sandwich or a cup of tea or hot stock while out for a little walk. I’m simply a bit fed up with being indoors so have dug out a few things to make going out more fun.

Here is my bag, my sit mats, my pot and stove. There is room to carry a sausage, bacon, some eggs, a roll, a hat.

View attachment 63360Agreed. To fry bacon you really don’t need oil. For that matter you also don’t need a nonstick pan. It fries just fine in it’s own grease on cast iron or steel too And leaves enough grease to fry your eggs. I was thinking of frying something like fish or birds or squirrels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE