Potential Barley shortage??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Good point. It could just be a knock on effect of folk panic buying though. I've got to be honest beer is not high on my priority list.

On the other hand I've been loving pearl barley in stews recently. Makes a nice alternative to other seeds, pulses and beans.

Reactions: Kadushu and Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh if there's no comforting pint after a day's hard graft, my world is a little less pleasant - home brew of course ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried to buy Broth Mix today. Sainsbury's had none, Tesco had none, B&M's had none, but I did find two packs (all that was left) in Home Bargains.
Full of barley, peas, lentils, etc.,

I did buy Beremeal recently though, so I'm fine for that. Pearl barley though, it's kind of a staple. Lovely drinks in Summer using it too.

Barley grows well in the UK. Maybe we need to pay attention to encouraging home grown.

M

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
White pudding made with barley and oatmeal :D seasoned with pepper and salt and some ground mace, and oh, it's a very good thing :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canadian prairie grain farmers have been working on the gamble for the best bang for their buck for crops this summer.
Barley, lentils and durum wheat (pasta) look like the best bets.

You might consider laying in a dozen+ units of several shapes of pasta. It keeps for years and years. Durum ain't going to get any cheaper, particularly with climate change risks. Now. Not next November, now.

I've got maybe 15kg different shapes put away and lots of semolina (durum) flour for the times I get the hots to make my own.

Don't count on seeing snow-white barley by itself this autumn. Mature and ripe is off white but the taste goes up. Should be lots of that diverted from feed grain usage. Pet owners won't skimp to save on darling woofie's best kibble so that barley ought to rise as well.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Canadian prairie grain farmers have been working on the gamble for the best bang for their buck for crops this summer.
Barley, lentils and durum wheat (pasta) look like the best bets.

You might consider laying in a dozen+ units of several shapes of pasta. It keeps for years and years. Durum ain't going to get any cheaper, particularly with climate change risks. Now. Not next November, now.

I've got maybe 15kg different shapes put away and lots of semolina (durum) flour for the times I get the hots to make my own.

Don't count on seeing snow-white barley by itself this autumn. Mature and ripe is off white but the taste goes up. Should be lots of that diverted from feed grain usage. Pet owners won't skimp to save on darling woofie's best kibble so that barley ought to rise as well.
Makes a pleasant change for farmers to be in control!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Canadian Wheat Marketing Board exercised some price control for the hexaploid bread wheats that Canada is so famous for. Best on the planet. High drought resistance, good fungus resistance, stem strength and so on.
But, farmers were always free to grow whatever and do their best to market that to whatever buyers they could find.

Cousins of mine scored an enormous barley deal with a branch of a BIG beer brewery. They did well!
Others banded together and sell 747 loads of lentils in the far east. Arabs can afford to do those things. Endless stories like that.

Look into the pasta business. Sure, Italy can grow some very fine Durum semolina but it won't last forever. Four popular brands of home pasta machines: Imperial, Schule, Marcato, Atlas. I really like my Imperia machine and have used it a lot.
The factory cutter make spaghettini and linguini. Then, you can always roll herbs and spices into the sheet as well.
Get a raviolamp and a pastabike. Make Tortelli molds, etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had to put up with a childhood of either macaroni or spaghetti or Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee canned ravioi, the pinnacle of pasta. My neighbor makes her pasta in a well of flour on the bench. Rolls it out, rolls it up and cuts linguini with a huge knife.

I'm really happy with the Imperia machine. I've used a Schule machine, sloppy, wiggly gears. I have seen the Marcato and the Atlas but I have not had the chance to use either one of those. Funny how they all look suspiciously similar.

If you're accustomed to making soups and stews (I am not), time now to put away 5 kg barley, 10 might be even better. Keeps for decades when kept properly dry.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hodmedod's sell British peas, grains, etc.,

They have barley, and they're actively engaged in encouraging farmers to grow it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE