Potassium permanganate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Keep your hair on stotRE. :) I have had trouble getting potassium permanganate from some pharmacies. It will be down to the people running the place, and what they think you are going to use if for. Some stock it behind the counter and are less than keen on handing it over if they suspect you are going to play pyromaniacs :rolleyes: I couldn't buy it for love nor money in Bath back in 1998, well before all the current clampdowns on chemicals.

As said, the ratio is important, and it is better to err on the side of too little glycerin than too much.

I have never really considered this a valid method of fire lighting given all the problems involved in getting the reaction to work and in storing and transporting the ingredients. Glycerin leaks, crystals stain things, or get wet, and it won't work well in the cold. Sure it is a nice party trick, and it gives you a delay type fuse, but neither are needed for bushcraft. Matches are just easier to use, easier to pack and more reliable

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
But the good thing is that you can use Pot Perm for water purification, and wound washing and you can use glycerin for oral burns so it's a useful backup firelighting solution should your matches get damp. I have PP in my FAK, but in all honesty I tend not to carry glycerin around.

It's also good fun :D

Cheers,

Alan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
PP is not restricted thats absolute bull,frankly these sort of threads are full of misinformation.

Here's a couple of interesting reads ...

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/consdoc1364.pdf

http://www.campus.manchester.ac.uk/...bstances-reporting_licencing_requirements.pdf

... and check Question 15 on this one ...

http://www.pharmpress.com/shop/samples/PEPLAE.pdf

... effectively and as I read it Pharmacists and therefore all suppliers have to be licensed to sell certain chemicals, PP is Category 2 on the Drugs Precursors schedule and requires a license to sell and also a license to acquire large quantities. Under this regulation it is expected that licensees report sales to the relevant authorities, especially suspicious quantities.

No one on this site has a requirement to purchase large quantities of PP as a 25 gram tub is more than enough.

Go to superdrug and interact with real people instead of believing everything you read on the net.

If your chemist dosen't stock it then go to another one.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
stotRE
Cool your heels will you.
I have tried 17 chemists in Northampton 4 of them boots and 2 superdrug and none can provide it, but I have now found one that will, so I have got up and interacted with real people as you put it and still had no joy, maybe others have found the same thing.
most people here have a similar interest and try to help each other. and for that I am gratefull.

"Have fun shoot a stick"

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Go to superdrug and interact with real people instead of believing everything you read on the net.

Agreed, however it was a survival instructor that told me it was not quite so easy to get hold of now, for the reasons I originally posted. The links I found were the result a bit of research I did in an attempt to validate what you were saying versus what he told me. I think that ticks both of your boxes.

IME many chemists are staffed by people who haven't got a clue. I've walked into major Boots dispensaries asking for Isopropyl Alcohol in the past only to be met with blank stares and hushed conversations with the Pharmacists. In other places where they actually know what it is, they have always queried my purchase - I would buy a couple of litres at a time and that stuff certainly isn't restricted.

Thanks for the Superdrug tip, I will have to give it a go - I'm always interested in sources for things like this, though I already have plenty, a 25g jar is more than enough as you say.

:rolleyes: There seems to be an awful lot of fuss over nothing. All my local chemists have it; the cheapest being £1.09 for a 25mg glass screw top jar full. If folk really cannot get a hold of it and I mean CANNOT rather than can't be arsed going out to get it, pm me and send me a prepaid padded envelope with £1.09 and I'll send you a jar down!

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I went into Preston today, :drive: to go to Superdrug for the £1.99 SW radio (see other thread). Asked at Superdrug for PP but they said they were out of stock and to try Boots, Boots dont stock it any more I was informed but she pointed me to a chemists on Lancaster Rd (Pomfrets) they have loads in and it was only 79p for a 25g jar. Result.
Now to get some Glyseryn (spelt wrong no doubt) and have a go.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
If we look at the equation for this reaction

14KMnO4 + 4C3H5(OH)3 --> 7K2CO3 + 7Mn2O3 + 5CO2 + 16H2O

it indicates that you need roughly 3.5 : 1 ratio of potassium permanganate to glycerin respectivly
hope this could help in some way
Josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE