Potassium permanganate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi All

I found some potassium permanganate yesterday in a chemist and some glycerine.
I noticed that the potassium was in crystallized form and when I mixed the 2 chemicals together nothing happened.
I tried breaking the crystals and grinding them to a powder, then with a small amount I added the glycerine and that seemed a little better (it smoked but no flame), has anyone tried this method of firelighting and if so do you have any ideas how to make this work better.
Thanx a lot.

“Have fun shoot a stick”

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think that the people I've seen on TV doing this used anti freeze with a glycerin content. Maybe if you tried to make a solution and then add the pottassium permanganate it may work. I believe pottasium permanganate and sugar creates sparks when ground together, but I've never tried.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Stickbow - were you outside when you tried this? If the temperature is low you need to give it a helping hand - literally!

Place the Pot Perm on tin foil, make a little "well" in the middle then add the glycerin. Hold it in your hand until the reaction starts then put it down.

Obviously use small amounts until you are confident with this technique. I use it to light hexy block - the kids at school think it is Voodoo as I set up the hexy burner for myself then start a demo on, say, Trangia and my stove lights itself with a hiss and a puff of smoke mid way thro the demo! Magic - instant attention!

Simon

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi SimonM
Thanx for the reply, No I was in the kitchen and I tried the pot perm in a couple of sheets of soft toilet paper and all it did was a small smoulder.
I will keep trying and maybe need to grind the PP into a finer powder.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Stickbow,

There should be no need to grind it up.

I find that the mix is critical - try about 2:1 pot perm:glycerin.

If you got a smoulder then you are on the right track! Keep experimenting, but remember when it goes it smokes quite a lot - maybe the kitchen isn't the best place to try this!

As Mentalnurse says it can be hit and miss!

Simon

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Place the Pot Perm on tin foil, make a little "well" in the middle then add the glycerin. Hold it in your hand until the reaction starts then put it down.

I find this works every time for me. I tend to use a reasonably healthy pile of pot.perm. and add three or four drops of glycerin. When you get the fizz and the smoke, put it down and the flames will soon appear.

It does help if your hands are warm otherwise you could be there for longer than you might want! Another thing, have plenty of tinder/kindling close at hand: when the reaction occurs, you have to be prepared to move pretty quickly to ensure that you get your fire going.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You may also have to use a bit of friction to get it started, make your mix and then agitate it vigorously being careful not to get any on you.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
It's restricted, you are supposed to put your name down for it, but not prohibited. It has valid uses e.g. for chronic and untreatable athlete's foot.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
:rolleyes: I'm lucky - I get it from our very friendly science teacher - ME!

EDIT:
I have used it for athletes foot in the past - I had been using powder for about 2 weeks and no joy. 3 applications of PP and cured - but it does dye skin brown which can look odd when your "tan" stops half way up your foot!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
A technique that I saw a survival instructor demonstrate was to make a small pile of PP in a bit of tissue paper (I think), pour in a bit of glycerine, scrunch the paper and put it in the middle of a good wad of straw, agitate the bundle a bit and wait a few seconds for the smoke to appear - shortly after that it burst into flame.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I find you need a lot more of the pottassium permanganate than the glicerin (anoying as its much harder to get hold of)

I was given a some by dave budd but have used it all up. You used to be able to get it from shop.com but they no longer sell it. I am after some more so does anyone know if the stuff you get at the fish suppliers is pure enough.

George

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Despite being in a kitchen I suggest it could still have been too low a temperature. I have had the same batch of glycerine and Pot perm for a while. In hotter weather it works fine but when the temperature is down, as at this time of year, it's no go.:bluThinki

PP is not restricted thats absolute bull,frankly these sort of threads are full of misinformation.

Go to any superdrug or boots and you can buy PP over the counter with no questions asked.

Yes it only comes in a 25 gram tub but isn't that enough?

What next a group buy of one tonne sacks of PP?

Will someone try and obtain a PP importers licence?

As for glycerin i use the type they sell in the supermarkets down the baking isle (the super cook brand) and have never failed to get fire from it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE