Potassium Permanganate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Just a quick note to let you folks know that Tescos seems to be able to get in potassium permanganate ...; so fill your survival kits while you can!!!! :-D

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Sure you'll all know this already but you can buy Potassium Permanganate from Boots - just ask for it at the Pharmacy counter. Cost about 80p for a pot of 25g or so.

What do you all use it for? I can only think of
- water pruification
- antiseptic
- firestarter (when mixed with anything glycol based - so don't EVER be tempted to put it in the radiator of your precious Landy... )

Anything else?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Its also the best cure for athlete's foot. Mix a bit with water and then bathe your feet. NEVER put it in a watercoarse, its absolutely lethal to aquatic life.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would say that you ought to be careful on the water purification front as well, it would have to be an emergency to really warrant the use of it, it‘s more dangerous than they used to think.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'd have to agree with that Tony ... it's not something that's very good for the human body. Take a look at the material safety data sheet for it:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p6005.htm

To quote:

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. High concentrations can cause pulmonary edema.
Ingestion:
Ingestion of solid or high concentrations causes severe distress of gastro-intestinal system with possible burns and edema; slow pulse; shock with fall of blood pressure. May be fatal. Ingestion of concentrations up to 1% causes burning of the throat, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain; 2-3% causes anemia and swelling of the throat with possible suffocation; 4-5% may cause kidney damage.
Skin Contact:
Dry crystals and concentrated solutions are caustic causing redness, pain, severe burns, brown stains in the contact area and possible hardening of outer skin layer. Diluted solutions are only mildly irritating to the skin.
Eye Contact:
Eye contact with crystals (dusts) and concentrated solutions causes severe irritation, redness, blurred vision and can cause severe damage, possibly permanent.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged skin contact may cause irritation, defatting, and dermatitis. Chronic manganese poisoning can result from excessive inhalation exposure to manganese dust and involves impairment of the central nervous system. Early symptoms include sluggishness, sleepiness, and weakness in the legs. Advanced cases have shown symptoms of fixed facial expression, emotional disturbances, spastic gait, and falling.
:shock: :cry:

If you are going to use it for water purification in a survival situation, the water really only needs to have a hint of pink in it ... if it is a Ribena color then it's way too concentrated and drinking it could seriously ruin your day.

I use it for firelighting, a possible snow/sand marker and wound clensing (for this it needs to turn the water a bit darker pink.

Firelighting with it is mega cool though! :-D :-D :-D
Tony said:
I would say that you ought to be careful on the water purification front as well, it would have to be an emergency to really warrant the use of it, it‘s more dangerous than they used to think.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock:
just to let you know, the dangerous burns and problems are mostly from a result of contact with "dry" Potassium permanganate" wyhen wet it is far safer!

i have used it sucsessfully for a ten day period in the scottish highlands, it tasted ok, and i had no related health problems at all.

i had a word with a chemist they said they are weary of the potassium part as it's a heavy metal. if used in small amounts your body can deal with it.

iodine also has a health warning! :wink:

what i would suggest is what ever you use measure it carefully and use with caution.

B

bushwackerscott

My worst experience with Potassium permananate wasn't when I drunk highly concentrated water oh no no no But when i spilt some on my bloody carpet and couldn't get the damn stuff out :banghead:

Nov 27, 2008
west yorkshire
hello all,

just been reading all this has it came up in a search recently, thought I'd add my bit.

I have been looking to purchase some Potassium P for a trip my mates are making to a distant land(nudge nudge wink wink say no morree) as he has limited PC access so he asked me source this material.

After a long look and many minutes, i found a web based site and bought some for him.
He is on his exploits now and i thought I'd save a few lads some time if struggling to source same as we were.

All the best lads stay safe.

link for purchase of PP fast and cheap is

http://www.potassium-permanganate-online.com/index.html

I hope its as useful to you lads as my mates.

BOD

There was a informative thread in BCUK sometime ago on PP.

Another use is as a rescue dye marker in snow.

I have used PP to "flush" out a debilitating gastrobug in a young man prostrate and feverish. Next day he was well.

A lethal dose is large around 1 gm if I remember.

Its fine for water purification and in greater concentrations is good for washing vegetables or root crops in suspect areas e.g. swamps and rivers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE