Pot cosy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Not really bushy but outdoorsy, so thought I'd share...

I was in homebase today looking for a few bits for home repairs etc and saw this stuff "Thermawrap" at £11.98 a roll ...
127033HBO111111X.jpg

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=127033

Anyway to cut a long story short, I didn't do any of the household repairs, but did experiment with pot cosies.

I played around with various designs, testing each one with water boiled in the kettle and checking the temperature 30 mins later, compared to a mug of water filled from the same kettle.

The design I settled on was the Mk3 version, which as 2 nesting pieces...

DSCF0709.jpg

the billy sits in one...
DSCF0710.jpg

And then the other piece sits on top...
DSCF0711.jpg

The base and top pices are both a double layer of the insulation, with the sides being a single thickness.

With this design I could get the billy into position without burning my fingers on the hot metal, and get the lid on easily.

After 30 minutes the "control" mug of wate was at 44 degrees C, with the water in the billy being at 72 degrees C. (Indoor test)

Obviously, this will allow me to reduce the amount of meths that I carry, meaning I can carry more malt! Result.

As a bonus, I have loads of the insulation material left, so will probably make some more of these with the Scouts when we re open in the New Year.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done mate

A 18" square piece works nicely on top of the under quilt for butt saving on proper baltic nights, slips down the back of the pack too no problem.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
I've been thinking of knocking some of these up - yours look cool Simon goodjob . Dumb question maybe but what did you use to stick them together. Is it just tape?

Cheers

Mike

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The plan is to carry the pot inside the cosy to keep it in shape...it's basically bubble wrap with foil on the both faces, so should take a few knocks, fingers crossed.

If not I have plenty left...

Simon

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Just done this last week with my Evernew set. Works a treat with duct tape.
You can also get the wrap when DIY stores run promotions on energy saving products... so if you are doing some work you can wait and find it under £6 a roll.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
simon what pot is that if you dont mind, im after a new one with a lid, seen some like yours but titanium and cost a small fortune....:(

good work on the cosy dude...;)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good testing!

I find that if I boil a packet pasta and leave it in the cosy, it'll be nearly cooked in 20 mins, just needing a quick reheat. Its saved me loads of fuel.

I've been using the car windsrceen shields, but I've got some of that wrap to knock one up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE