Post collapse survival strategies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
Speaking as a country dweller, I think my response would be blocking the roads and posting armed guards. To keep the city folk out. Not the people here of course, the other city folk ;)

Goes double for zombies, even zombie bushcrafters - tough but fair i think you'll agree.

Seriously though I don't forsee sudden total collapse, historical collapses generally happened over decades.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
***, people calm down.

Look, here's Uncle Jack:approve:
jackinshed.jpg

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
Most of the old Soviet Union would not agree with you. And neither would the Germans circa 1930.

20th century collapse of German society took from 1914 to 1945, in circumstances that seem unlikely to arise in Europe nowadays. One way of looking at it, anyway :)

The soviet union was only a partial collapse surely, lost international influence and subject states but Russia's still going.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
"Post collapse survival strategies"

Well, living without my bushcraft retail therapy would be very hard, so even if it'd cost me a bit more, I guess I'd have to get all of my internet and mail orders delivered by courier... :D

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Knowledge! (if you can class this as kit!)

Knowledge is the key we need to survive!

If I was a worrier I would read up on tool making. Not only very useful for your own uses but there would be a time when they will be good for trading etc.

Appart from that I would just pack light and not take anything special just as if I was spending a weekend away!

Meet you in Scotland at the end of the world!

tj

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There are three people who will thrive in the future.

Those who can adapt

Those who live a traditional lifestyle and are not so dependent on oil anyway

Those who have knowlege of the new technologies.

and of course

Those who are all three....

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
20th century collapse of German society took from 1914 to 1945, in circumstances that seem unlikely to arise in Europe nowadays. One way of looking at it, anyway :)

The soviet union was only a partial collapse surely, lost international influence and subject states but Russia's still going.

I'm no historian, but I don't follow your argument.

Germany saw unemployment fall from 6 million at the end of the Weimar Republic, to less than a half a million at the start of WW2. Far from being a nation in the process of collapse, they were powerful and confident enough to wage war with the rest of us. And they nearly pulled it off remember.

If you were a middle-class, professional Russian in the 90's, with inflation running at 5000%, rendering all your hard earned saving totally worthless, you wouldn't have called it partial, or slow in coming.

I've been looking, but it seems economic collapse doesn't announce itself. As I said before, things can change quickly.

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/russianinfl.htm

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm no historian, but I don't follow your argument.

Germany saw unemployment fall from 6 million at the end of the Weimar Republic, to less than a half a million at the start of WW2. Far from being a nation in the process of collapse, they were powerful and confident enough to wage war with the rest of us. And they nearly pulled it off remember.

Yeah but, what were they employed to do?

Build tanks, autobahns (for tanks to run on) and big concrete defence bunkers.
Funded by massive borrowing.

Hardly what you could call productive was it?

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Yeah but, what were they employed to do?

Build tanks, autobahns (for tanks to run on) and big concrete defence bunkers.
Funded by massive borrowing.

Hardly what you could call productive was it?

:)

OK, this could become a 'what did the Nazi's ever do for us' thread. I think you'll find that they were a lot more productive and groundbreaking than that, even if their motivation was nefarious.

But, nevertheless a good point. Now apply the same question to our own economy and also that of our friends across the water: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=199
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_deficit

Look familiar?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants

I think that recently there are people in the former Yugoslavia who would disagree, also in Rwanda, Africa. And, a colleague of my wife just returned after 2 years in Botswana and South Africa because it is falling into an unstable hole.

As for Germany, after WW1 and the treaty of versailles it fell into a mess which eventually allowed the Austrian, Hitler, to wangle his way into power using the proportional representation method of voting. The 30's saw Germany rise to become a military and industrial powerhouse enabling it the audacity to take on the world - which lets face it, if it was a weak patheitic failure it would not have had the hutspa to do. The first few years of WW2 saw the Allies running around with their tails between their legs wondering when the next supply convoy was going to arrive from the USA and where they were going to house all the polish and french refugees. It was only when the Austrian went loopy, committed his troops to too many fronts and started to think that he could take on Russia during the winter that things really fell apart. But by the 1960's things were hunky dory again, and as Clarkson so aptly put it " The Germans were driving around in VW Golfs while over here we were still driving around in Morris 1800's and Morris Minors".

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
the only problem that could cause such quick breakdown is if oil ran out. This has also been done in another thread.

Is that really true? Did oil run out in the Soviet Union in the 90's; did oil run out in the economic depression of the 1930's?

I didn't start this post as a naysayer, or because I'm sat here in army fatigues in a room decorated in Nazi memorabilia, spitting chewing tobacco at my monitor. I just get a sense that maybe we are on the cusp of a change and I'm trying to find out as much as I can to support or refute this niggling doubt about the present state of affairs. And it's not just about peak oil, although I've listened to arguments for and against, and I'm swayed much more by the former, there are other factors that concern me globally as well.

My original intention was to get ideas from other posters on the things they would take in the event of a need to move quickly and stay mobile.Things that will have an enduring value should paper money lose it's value, as has happened many times in other countries. It seems there are members of the forum that would rather such threads were not started and those that are happy to discuss the issue and come up with their own opinions. Such is life.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Maybe the answer is regional BCUK rally points where we can meet, form communities and survive! Oh I've just scared myself now!

Don't be scared, because that is an exellent idea Pibbleb, and you have the facilities
through this Forum to do just that...!! (BCUK rally points)

I would be quite happy to take on responsibility for the BCUK members in this area who
might like to set up the appropriate shelters.....

IMG_0539.jpg

As somebody else has said, this is a Bushcraft site, NOT a TEOTWAKI site .... but in
any event, the best weapon anybody here has is... KNOWLEDGE... and the experience
to put it into practice..!!!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
"Post collapse survival strategies"

Well, living without my bushcraft retail therapy would be very hard, so even if it'd cost me a bit more, I guess I'd have to get all of my internet and mail orders delivered by courier... :D

Not courier! Think 'the postman' :D (horrible film btw..)

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Is that really true? Did oil run out in the Soviet Union in the 90's; did oil run out in the economic depression of the 1930's?

I didn't start this post as a naysayer, or because I'm sat here in army fatigues in a room decorated in Nazi memorabilia, spitting chewing tobacco at my monitor. I just get a sense that maybe we are on the cusp of a change and I'm trying to find out as much as I can to support or refute this niggling doubt about the present state of affairs. And it's not just about peak oil, although I've listened to arguments for and against, and I'm swayed much more by the former, there are other factors that concern me globally as well.

My original intention was to get ideas from other posters on the things they would take in the event of a need to move quickly and stay mobile.Things that will have an enduring value should paper money lose it's value, as has happened many times in other countries. It seems there are members of the forum that would rather such threads were not started and those that are happy to discuss the issue and come up with their own opinions. Such is life.

I agree we are on the cusp of change and a very big one at that!
Come over to LSG if you haven't already and have a look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE