post a picture of yourself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This is me making friends in a Iban longhouse in Sarawak, Borneo in September
I'm the one in the hat
IMGP0686.jpg

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is me trying to look cool ( and warm, it was freezing up there ) on the Athabasca Glacier on my belated honeymoon in August.

Not in the slightest bit bushcrafty but it`ll do for now.

DSC00290.jpg

Brrrrr !!

Rich

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I just googled Athabasca glacier (looks nice btw), and found on Wikipedia,
"The Athabasca Glacier is one of the six principal toes of the Columbia Icefield, located in the Canadian Rockies. Due to the warming climate, the glacier has receded more than 1.5 km in the past 125 years and lost over half of its volume. It currently recedes at a rate of 2-3 metres per year"
You begin to realise the seriousness when they put it like that!
I saw a couple pictures in one of the museums in chamonix a while back too of the mer de glace from there a hundred or so years back and the glacier today. An eyebrow-raising moment!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just googled Athabasca glacier (looks nice btw), and found on Wikipedia,
"The Athabasca Glacier is one of the six principal toes of the Columbia Icefield, located in the Canadian Rockies. Due to the warming climate, the glacier has receded more than 1.5 km in the past 125 years and lost over half of its volume. It currently recedes at a rate of 2-3 metres per year"
You begin to realise the seriousness when they put it like that!
I saw a couple pictures in one of the museums in chamonix a while back too of the mer de glace from there a hundred or so years back and the glacier today. An eyebrow-raising moment!

There were little signposts all the way up to the car park then continuing up the track to the glacier. The first one I noticed was for 1920 `ish I think and that seemed like miles away from the start of the icefield.
I couldn`t get over the fact that there were continous bus tours running that actually drove on the ice, right across the top of the glacier. You could see huge amounts of melt water running off the glacier and disappearing down a hole and off down the hill. BUT the most frustrating part was idiots walking onto the ice when there were signs everywhere asking you not to. There were information boards all the way up the track to the ice, and most of these told of people disappearing through the ice and into a crevass. Some were never seen again, some died instantly and one young girl only about 10 years ago got wedged in a crevass for a few days, rescuers were unable to free her and she died right there through hypothermia and exhaustion. Despite all the warnings folk just wondered off up onto the ice and away out of view.

Great place though and would recommend it to anyone, Canada is an awesome place.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE