Possibly the ultimate signaling/camping shaving mirror...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Got an old hard disk drive? Then you have at least one, possibly more, superb signaling mirror which will double as a shaving mirror/tick removal mirror.

I'm not sure what they're made from - it's metallic for sure, but it's incredibly light and while not scratch proof, it's certainly scratch resistant and best of all - doesn't shatter like glass if you're a bit more than gentle with it.

The mirror polish is at least the equivalent of a glass mirror and a quick buff on your jeans is all it requires should it get smudged.

They even have a handy hole in the middle to aid sighting with :)

IMAG1350.jpg

The black line reflected in the pic is a curtain track - at least 5 feet from the disk.

I've got 8 of these... which is 7 more than required really - swaps anyone?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Any different to a free CD mate? thanks for the tip, I was thinking about buying a camping mirror for the missus ( and my bad "morning hair) i can use the same things that we use to spook the cats out, to stop them doing their business in our garden !

sometimes "you cant see the wood for the trees"

cheers !:)

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Any different to a free CD mate?

A considerable difference... you'll see your face clearly in this from across the room, probably further although I've not tried it. The mirror finish is exquisite, a CD doesn't compare in any way.

The magnets inside the hard drive are rather good to. Very strong but watch out as they will shatter if you abuse them.
They're great for keeping things on the fridge you don't want the kids to remove :D

I've got a few magnets spare if anyone wants to try one out - very handy for finding fish hooks at the bottom of a tackle box without risking puncturing a thumb!

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
A considerable difference... you'll see your face clearly in this from across the room, probably further although I've not tried it. The mirror finish is exquisite, a CD doesn't compare in any way.

They're great for keeping things on the fridge you don't want the kids to remove :D

I've got a few magnets spare if anyone wants to try one out - very handy for finding fish hooks at the bottom of a tackle box without risking puncturing a thumb!

Have you got any magnets left???

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Some (expletive deleted) idiot smashed the mirror on my van the other day. I remembered this thread and soon after had a replacement mirror. As it has a hole in the middle, it was easy to attach with zip ties. Top idea!

Z

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Be extremely careful with the disc from the inside of the hard drive. I too thought they were metal when I was disposing of an old hard drive and tried to bend it. It shattered in my face, they are glass! I had to go to a and e to get a piece of it out of my eye.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Some are really tough: I tried battering one with a hammer and mauling it with pliers. I even tried a file on the edge. Definitely not glass.

Z

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Some are really tough: I tried battering one with a hammer and mauling it with pliers. I even tried a file on the edge. Definitely not glass.

Z

Fair enough maybe they're not all glass but the one I had definitely was.

Just did a little research and they seem to be glass or aluminium, an aluminium one would be perfect as a mirror.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE