Possibles Pouches - Where to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I just prefer newer one, they do the same job though, the 58 one was the 1st one i bought years ago for when i went squirreling, you can get a good few in one of those, i used to wash it to freshen it up from time to time, it didnt like it much and it got a bit too close to the fire one day and the outer melted :roll: the other ones are tougher and clean up a little better, but come to think about it i suppose for 4 quid for a 58 one, it doesnt realy matter :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Reading the above there does seem to be some confusion about the use/size of a possibles pouch/bag.

If I may make so bold (bold not bald) I will endeavour to define the differences as I see them.

Possibles pouch - a small pouch worn on a belt (with your knife) that contains those most essential items, ie fire lighting kit and paracord. Its purpose is to act like the woodsman survival kit and is worn all the time, the last things you should take off are your pants and then your possibles pouch! It should be unobtrusive (so your not inclined not to wear it) and can be worn with trousers, shorts etc.

Possibles bag - larger item, can be a shoulder bag (respirator haversack) or a small day sack (plce single jet pack) this contains slightly more kit predominately water and Metal mug or pot as well as other useful items like folding saw. poncho ect - this by its nature is taken off and on and in worse case scenerio could be lost which is why you have your possibles pouch on your belt!

After this we are then onto packs and full kit, bashas, sleepng bags ect ect.

gary;
Point is well taken.

But as far as a possibles bag goes. This may be where american and european cultural differences may include differences in the definition(s) of a possibles bag. In the european midieval terms, the possibles bag was on the belt. TRUE!!!!

Then in the american's early days, especially during the revolution and the "mountain man" eras, the possibles bag was a shoulder bag, that was a bit smaller than the gear bag.

As my dad says:"It's not good or bad, it's just IS."

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
BT - SPOT ON, and as we use the term 'possibles' we regards to the fur trade era and custom of carrying the things that make life possible the possibles bag is a shoulder bag. IMO we generally ignore medieval names from europe in bushcraft finding fur trade, native american ect names more romantic and applicable.

The Possibles pouch (on the belt) in the fur trade days was also (more commonly) called a strike-a-light pouch and maybe this name is a better one given that it highlights its contents i.e fire making kit. That said in modern usage possible pouch has become the vogue and hence the need to differentiate between a 'possibles' bag and pouch.

Did that make sense? :?:

jakunen

Native
BIG-TARGET said:
But as far as a possibles bag goes. This may be where american and european cultural differences may include differences in the definition(s) of a possibles bag. In the european midieval terms, the possibles bag was on the belt. TRUE!!!!
Aha, so being a European, my belt mounted pouch really is a possible bag then!:)

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Possibles pouch, possibles bag seems straight forward to me.

Old english names are probably not used for a reason, can you imagine if we used the old english name for a sheath in public?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
:rolmao: White buffalo if my memory serves me correctly I think your probably right.

Jakunen the old english/anglo saxon name for a sheath is 'c u next tuesday' and it is where our slang word for the female sexual organ comes from - i.e you put your weapon in it!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Just found this site http://www.jelldragon.com/index.htm I've not bought anything from them but they look as though they do some great bushcrafty type stuff amongst other things. Fire steels, dice games, horns for drinking, leather goods and all sorts. Have good browse

And in case I don't make any more posts before Chrimbo.....Have a good Christmas one and all, and I hope you all get what you wish for and best wishes and luck in the new year

Falling Rain :wave:

jakunen

Native
Gary said:
:rolmao: White buffalo if my memory serves me correctly I think your probably right.

Jakunen the old english/anglo saxon name for a sheath is 'c u next tuesday' and it is where our slang word for the female sexual organ comes from - i.e you put your weapon in it!
Trust you to know that Gary!!!
But it does make sense of an old 70s song (Je suis un Rock Star). IIRC there was some line about 'couche' or summat, the English of which being to 'couche' or 'sheath' a weapon. Never did get that line, but I was only an innocent little kid...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
And I guess that seeing as you would have stuck your knife/sword into your ememy then it would be maybe why we/they call/called people they didn't like "Right.....", you get the idea!

It all makes such sence to me now! :eek:):

Gary said:
BT - SPOT ON, and as we use the term 'possibles' we regards to the fur trade era and custom of carrying the things that make life possible the possibles bag is a shoulder bag. IMO we generally ignore medieval names from europe in bushcraft finding fur trade, native american ect names more romantic and applicable.

The Possibles pouch (on the belt) in the fur trade days was also (more commonly) called a strike-a-light pouch and maybe this name is a better one given that it highlights its contents i.e fire making kit. That said in modern usage possible pouch has become the vogue and hence the need to differentiate between a 'possibles' bag and pouch.

Did that make sense? :?:

A "fire kit" that was on the belt, behind the knife! :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE