possible lymes disease.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Wishing a speedy recovery for your kiddy.

We do head to toe tick checks at jammy time at our house, especially if the kids have been playing in the woods. If you get the little buggers out within 24 hrs the chance of Lyme is very low. It's worth knowing that the really tiny nymph ticks are more likely to infect you with Lyme than big ones.

Get the O'Tom tick twister - there's no better tick tool and you are minimising the chance of Lyme infection by using one:

[video=youtube;lM5ibEu1-QA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM5ibEu1-QA[/video]

I'm about to use one on the cat

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Lyme disease is a quite evident disease. The most predominant sign checked by doctors is the erythema, that must be carefully investigated through medical examination and medical history. After a day in the woods or, expecially, in endemic areas, a full body inspection for each member of the family is strongly recommended. The tick could be displaced in the next days after the bite and it could be impossible to determine its presence, even for the best oof physician.

In the early stage of the disease (the one described, I think) the outcome for the patient is very often good and without sequelae

Best wishes to Ben

Jul 14, 2013
uk
Hi,

Yes Lymes disease is quite naughty, I live in Scotland, and I have over the years camped wild, but because it is so wild, I get Stag Ticks, those beasties are VERY naughty, I learnt very early on, after extracting one out of my naval ! I always take a mirror away with me, plus the normal survival medical kit, ie a very sharp knife ! You normally get these ticks around the ankle area, and at times at waist hight, they will, once attached to your skin, they crawl to warm moist places !. The ticks just hang around on the ferns, or the longs grasses waiting for the next hijacking ! If the ticks are left too long on your body, and I would say 5 - 10 days then the tick bury's its head deep into you, this is when it is very difficult to get out, you cant just pull the tick, as it will leave its head behind in your skin and continue to devour you !

Hope the wee fella makes a speedy recovery

thefisherman

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Lymes has so many symptoms, which means that in the UK it often goes untreated until it becomes serious, the symptoms can vary from flu like and pain or they can seem like clinical depression or M.E, the latter two symptoms are the ones that often go untreated in the UK.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Lymes disease, carried by deer ticks, is endemic in the NE USA. Advice for anyone doing a lot of hiking - 1 get a device for removing ticks. 2 Treat all of the clothing regularly used for hiking, and camping equipment (paticularly hammock, but also tent)_ with Permethrin. Dip all clothing etc in a bucket of permethrin solution, hang to dry. It is claimed that this will last about 6 washing cycles before it needs to be repeated. Just about any insect that comes in contact with the treated material will die. This is also protection against Mosquitoes, which is why one should treat the hammock.
Permethrin is a synthetic analogue of a natural insecticide produced by chrysanthemums.It is a neurotoxin and it is probably best to keep the aqueous solution off your skin by using rubber gloves and being careful. It is particularly dangerous in the aqueous phase to cats , so care must be taken to keep cats away from the drying clothes & materials. Some will no doubt say that use of powerful chemicals like permethrin is dangerous. I have seen people in late stages of Lymes disease. That is far worse, and the chemicals used for treatment are many factors more dangerous than preventative action with permethrin.
Spray bottlesof permethrin solutionare sold otc at most US outdoor stores. Stronger solutions used to make soaking baths are readily available in agricultural supply stores (used to dip/spray cattle and horses). The latter is much less expensive, as a litre bottle (32 oz) will last many seasons.

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lymes disease, carried by deer ticks, is endemic in the NE USA. Advice for anyone doing a lot of hiking - 1 get a device for removing ticks. 2 Treat all of the clothing regularly used for hiking, and camping equipment (paticularly hammock, but also tent)_ with Permethrin. Dip all clothing etc in a bucket of permethrin solution, hang to dry. It is claimed that this will last about 6 washing cycles before it needs to be repeated. Just about any insect that comes in contact with the treated material will die. This is also protection against Mosquitoes, which is why one should treat the hammock.
Permethrin is a synthetic analogue of a natural insecticide produced by chrysanthemums.It is a neurotoxin and it is probably best to keep the aqueous solution off your skin by using rubber gloves and being careful. It is particularly dangerous in the aqueous phase to cats , so care must be taken to keep cats away from the drying clothes & materials. Some will no doubt say that use of powerful chemicals like permethrin is dangerous. I have seen people in late stages of Lymes disease. That is far worse, and the chemicals used for treatment are many factors more dangerous than preventative action with permethrin.
Spray bottlesof permethrin solutionare sold otc at most US outdoor stores. Stronger solutions used to make soaking baths are readily available in agricultural supply stores (used to dip/spray cattle and horses). The latter is much less expensive, as a litre bottle (32 oz) will last many seasons.

Brilliant post.

I have tried getting big quantities of permethrin off the farm shop, they dont do it. I resent paying the prices for clothing treatment, I have used normal permetherin bug sprays instead.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a possible caution on permethrin use. ON the old Seekoutside website there were concerns that some man-made materials were quite badly degraded when using permethrin on it. If possible, try out some on some old fabric first...

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Bowlander - kills aquatic vertebrates also (i.e. fish & frogs). Disposal of 4 or 5 litres of 1/2% solution via municipal sewage systems which go to a treatment plant will be OK. If you're still concerned, hit it with bleach or the wife's peroxide first, but then you increase the BOD, which is also bad for aquatic life. Don't just throw it into a stream or a storm drain.

xylaria - I see it listed on ebay.co.uk, but the 10% solutions that I use all seem to be sourced in the USA, so are about twice the price I pay due to postage. I suggest you ask your local vet where he gets his/hers. All UK army clothing is permethrin treated, so it must be available quite widely to the military clothing industry.

Hint - if you are making a cheap bug net using cheap tulle from your local fabric store, the hole size will stop mosquitoes, but not midges. Treating with permethrin will kill the vast majority of the midges while they try to find the holes.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
any body who is going to bimble or play in the woods. should take a few minutes and carefully read these few articles and have a copy ready to provide to their Gp's in case of being bitten by the little nasty beasties.
go to.

www.patient.co.uk/doctor/ lyme-disease- pro.

some interesting read and facts.

I sincerely hope that your little man make a full recovery and be out there soon.

cheers the interceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE