Portable solar panels, batteries, advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hey all,

I'm not sure whether any of you can offer some advice to someone as ignorant in the wizardry of electrics as I, but I figured "don't ask, don't get"...

I've been looking at portable solar panels for longer wild camping trips to charge things like phones, camera batteries, power packs etc.. there are loads available with built in USB sockets - idiot proof basically (I think!)

However, I've recently upgraded my kayak and bought one with a fish finder/chart plotter. Did some researching and I'm looking at buying a 10amp 12v battery - no issues, I can charge this at home.

The problem might be if I decide to combine a kayak/wild camping trip.. is there any way I can charge a 12v battery from a usb solar?

There are lots of really pricey alternatives to the above which include snazzy battery boxes and power units and all, but I'm looking at the lower cost/weight side of things.

Thanks in advance

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Definitely would be easier, just unfortunately it adds to my load, as I'd need one for charging cameras and stuff anyway...

Actually planning a kayaking trip where I won't have access to a car for a week or so I'd guess..

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Not sure what the power draw from your fish finder/chart plotter would be, but if you' prefer to stick to USB, you can get little power converters to boost the 5 volts from the USB to 12 volts, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/MeetUs-Cigarette-Converter-Lighters-Recorder/dp/B07CY1C6V8/

You would need to make sure that the power your fish finder is pulling is within what the converter is rated to supply (i think the example above can supply 8W total).

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
According to the specs it's gotamax draw of 1.1amps.

I'm thinking of the 10amp battery as that'll give me a good amount of time to use without draining the battery entirely.

I'll check out the link!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've brought a Jackery 240w powerstation and 100 watt solar panel. I'm not good at electrics at all so this system works for me.

IMG_20210414_121248.jpgIMG_20210413_113151.jpg

If I was fitting out a van I would go for the E1000 to cover all the bases.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Thanks guys. Got some head scratching to do it seems.

I think I may be able to dip by the odd campsite along the way (not exactly bushcrafting now am I!!), so might be a spot to recharge as I go. Will have to keep on at the drawing board...also just checked my trolley and it doesn't fit inside the yak :rage:.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
The little DC DC boost converter are ok, I have several rated at 2amp out and a couple of bigger ones that are 10amp out. However, you need to remember that it's a case of power in-power out with some losses for converting. So if you are putting out 2amp at 12v, then you will be pulling more amps at 5v. Of course you won't be charging at 12v, more like 13.8-14.4 for lead acid. You could go down the route of lifepo4 which are lighter weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE