Portable saws

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a lovely Laplander folding saw that I love and use a lot. But I am pondering the idea of getting something a bit bigger for use on larger wood. The Duluth Folding Saw looks like a very nice (if very expensive) tool.

I'm looking for something that can be used on larger work pieces so pretty much any of the triangular saws are out. Usefulness as a saw, followed by light weight and compactness when folded are the key requirements.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using the Duluth for about four years, great tool. Light enough to slip down the side of a pack or chuck in the canoe

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The problem with just carrying the blade, and then making something on site is that it is reliant on there being something suitable on site to use. I am not confident this is always the case. Sometimes I use my laplander for clearing the local cycle paths after the storms, so having something I can just pull out my bag would be ideal. Is the wooden example you show lighter than the duluth?

J

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea what a Duluth weighs - the top one is a broom handle and a length of threaded bar from B&Q, the bottom one is just a hazel stick. You don't have to make one on site, just make one in advance and carry the wooden frame with you (it all packs down) - doesn't weigh much for sure :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For superb cutting power allied to the convenience of the laplander, there's nothing to beat these silky saws; quite a few models, some of which can be fitted with different blades for different tasks. For what you get, they are great value and last very well.

There is always that pleasure and pride in a tool you make yourself though, and those above are good examples of that. :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Made this one a couple of weeks ago, works a treat :) Old oak floorboard repurposed and a bit of paracord !

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE