Portable firepit

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
That looks incredibly easy to make, and I'm sure you could do it at a fraction of the weight/bulk.
Firstly, you can buy cheap grill trays from Wilkinsons/Morrisons/Wherever, then all you need is a way of suspending it over the fire. For that you could either use four trimmed branches - one in each corner, with the gridle on the top; or you could buy some metal poles and use those instead. Or you could suspend it from a tripod.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It was more a case of getting the fire up off the floor and the fact that it packs down flat makes sense.

I could probably make something similar but I wouldn`t save much on £25

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
I have been using one for two years now.

I picked one up at my local garden centre for £10 in their winter sales.

Generally it is an excellent bit of kit.

With the sides up it is an excellent barbeque or fire box. After all the cooking has been done I drop the sides and use it as an open but raised fire.

The only trouble I have had with it is that the nuts that keep the legs on tend to come off over time. As they get lost I have just stuff a tent peg into the holes to keep the legs connected to the main body.

Overall a great bit of kit but not worth £50. I use it more than my Tentipi firebox because of the legs and having the ability to drop the sides when needed.

Cheers

George

P.S. Forgot to mention that I was a bit worried about it buckling when I first bought it. I placed an old grill pan in the bottom as it fits perfectly and it gives an added layer of steel but I suppose an extra sheet of metal will do the same job.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It was more a case of getting the fire up off the floor and the fact that it packs down flat makes sense.

I could probably make something similar but I wouldn`t save much on £25

This is mine in the middle. Ignore the cauldrons and I don't always use the bake stone either..

Heavy_Kit_1.jpg

Doubt if it cost me more than a tenner to make and it packs flat like this.

Heavy_Kit_3.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I do like yours Gary, especially the pizza oven option, that`s a winner for me.

Unfortunately I don`t have access to any welding gear anymore so it`s probably easier for me to buy off the shelf.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
This is mine in the middle. Ignore the cauldrons and I don't always use the bake stone either..

Heavy_Kit_1.jpg

Doubt if it cost me more than a tenner to make and it packs flat like this.

Heavy_Kit_3.jpg

Hi Wayland, I really like the look of your set up. A few questions for you.

Roughly what diameter is it?

It looks well used but I see no signs of buckling, so have you used heavy gauge steel which begs the question, how heavy is this?

I can't really see how the pegs support the tray. Do they have a pin of sorts that locates through a hole on the side of the tray?

Are you including the cauldrons in your 'under a tenner'? If yes, I guess you either inherited them or made them yourself in some way that eludes me. If you made them, I'd love to know how.

The flat plate with a handle, is that just a bit of steel plate you've shaped yourself?

Shewie, I've no photos to hand of the cast iron barby we use when canoeing (our scanners stuffed ATM), but essentially it's a cheapo job from the local garden centre with coach bolts with wing nuts to allow me to take it apart. It then all packs in a home made canvas bag 16" X 6". Don't know how much it weighs, certainly not light. Could be a possibility for your canoe trips. Mine's getting to the end of it's life now so I'm considering alternatives.

Al

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Al

From what I remember of Waylands setup the legs have little sticky out lugs which the base sits on. Could be wrong though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Wayland, I really like the look of your set up. A few questions for you.

Roughly what diameter is it?

It looks well used but I see no signs of buckling, so have you used heavy gauge steel which begs the question, how heavy is this?

I can't really see how the pegs support the tray. Do they have a pin of sorts that locates through a hole on the side of the tray?

Are you including the cauldrons in your 'under a tenner'? If yes, I guess you either inherited them or made them yourself in some way that eludes me. If you made them, I'd love to know how.

The flat plate with a handle, is that just a bit of steel plate you've shaped yourself?

<Snip

OK, the tray is about 20" across, for scale the the cauldrons are the bottoms of 14kg and 7kg gas bottles and that is a clue about how to make them. The bottles were free so I guess you could include them for the cost of a cutting disk.

The edge of the tray is an old rim from a wooden wheel and the base is 14 gauge mild steel if I recall ( It might be 16g though.) it's just a bit I had left over when I finished working in the armoury.

They were welded with a simple arc rig.

Heavy_Kit_2.jpg

This picture shows the pegs in a bit more detail, as Shewie says there is a lateral sticky out bit on each peg that the tray sits on. Because there are three spaced around the tray and there is still some peg sticking up the tray will stay in the middle of them without needing any other fixing.

The square U shaped bits are to give something for the angle iron bars to rest on, sometimes I don't bother with them and just use a log at each side.

The bake stone (the bit with the handle) is a heavy lump of plate that I found ready made in a boot sale. Good at it's job but seriously heavy. If I use that it doubles the weight of the whole thing.

Never weighed it all but I wouldn't want to use it far from my vehicle.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
For a cheap 'n' easy option for car / canoe camping you could try one of these - the idea came from a post on SOTP.

I've "upgraded" to a larger colander since these pics were taken - plenty of heat, and you can cook stuff on the top with a griddle. Costs pennies - a trip to Woolworths (d'oh!) or Poundland will sort you out, or have a root around in the kitchen (although SWMBO may have something to say about it!). ;)

Can burn for hours and will never scorch the ground - the base remains cool to the touch - and the base packs into the top part for carrying.

14-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE