Help me chose pack size!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nocommonsense

Dec 23, 2014
England
Hello, sorry to bring up what seems like an age old question but;

I'm just looking for a suggestion for a new pack. I've used the PLCE bergen before, and I've got the Dutch one ( AKA Lowe Alpine Sting). I wanted to find a new pack, roughly equivalent to either of these, and I thought i'd look to the old favorites of many; the Karrimor SF Sabre 45, and 75.

Of course, they aren't the cheapest pieces of kit out there, and not actually having access to one is a wee bit of an issue because I need to have an idea their actual physical size before (or if) I make the plunge to get one. My intentions are to be able to carry a lot of kit, ranging from weekend outings to longer adventure training/walking trips, carrying anything from a 58 pattern sleeping bag to a cheapo snugpak one along with all the other stuff one would expect for such a trip. I can definitely fit all my kit into the PLCE bergen, what with it being like a tardis and all, but I'm doubtful as to whether or not my kit will fit into the 45 or not, or if it'll fit into the 75 with loads of space. As many of you have experience with these packs I just wanted to know what your opinions are.

How much kit have you managed to squeeze into either of them, whats the longest you've ever been out in with one of them using only the contents of the pack (without buying food or anything like that)? How large is each pack compared to the PLCE bergen/ Lowe Alpine Sting, how well do they work on top of belt kit (if you use it), or on a smaller person?

Basically, I would love it if you would be able to help me narrow down the best option for me.

Cheers.:D

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Be realistic in your expectations. I COULD fit everything I need for an overnight trip in winter into my sabre 30/jacket pockets. Buy why would I. It would over pack it and hurt to carry.

We all have a notion of having a tiny backpack and being able to unload a world of items from it which would be great. Mary Poppins could have her own range of load carrying equipment the size of side pouches and shoulder bags.

Unless your an ultra lightweight gram counter a larger pack that can synch down is much more practical. My "main" pack for camping trips is a 75l fjallraven (abisko?) the highend one? Synches down nice and very comfortable. But can carry a house load if needed. Or if things don't compress well. Wool blanket and lavvu etc

Go for 60-70l. Covers all bases. 30l or so is day pack size or summer 1 nighters

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here's a look at the Lowe Sting. I tend to car camp or walk in a couple of miles. This thing is bombproof and often uses gravity for steep descents ;). Like I say, bombproof. It's a kind of heavy though, I tend to use it for car camping, or couple miles along the riverbank.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ck-look-plus-pics&highlight=Lowe+alpine+sting

The man Beachlover, is a bag freeek, he'll be in with some Osprey recommendations.

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Pack size: Look at what you need to pack inside it. Add a little space for comfort stuff if you want, or for winter size stuff. There you go, you have a correctly sized pack :p. Don't buy something which is a lot bigger, cause you'll just fill it ;).

If i take my Sabre 45 with side pouches, i fill it all up with stuff i don't want to leave without. If i do the same without the side pouches, i do the same but have a lot less which i don't want to leave without it seems. If i take my 38L Osprey pack, everything i need still fits inside (or in 1 drybag at the bottom containing bivy, sleeping pad, tarp) without trouble, and i don't have anything which i wouldn't want to leave without either, yet that amount of stuff is still less than what's inside the sabre ;). Just my experience.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Its better to have a larger pack and put less in it than a smaller one and have it bursting with all your kit, go for the larger size i'd say 70L is ideal for any winter night out without having to cram kit it, making it more comfortable to walk with.

Tonyuk

Nocommonsense

Dec 23, 2014
England
Cheers everyone,

I agree with the fact that it's probably better to go for a larger pack, though I think that it's perhaps also a question of whether or not I could fit everything into a smaller pack to save on the expense of a purchasing larger one. Or perhaps I'm just biased towards the Sabre 45 because I like the aesthetics so much!

If i do chose to get either, if I'm not happy I can always return it.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Here's a look at the Lowe Sting. I tend to car camp or walk in a couple of miles. This thing is bombproof and often uses gravity for steep descents ;). Like I say, bombproof. It's a kind of heavy though, I tend to use it for car camping, or couple miles along the riverbank.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ck-look-plus-pics&highlight=Lowe+alpine+sting

The man Beachlover, is a bag freeek, he'll be in with some Osprey recommendations.

Another vote for the Sting, but if you have the money take a look at the Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100. The Sabre 45 was designed to carry above belt kit and can be uncomfortable. The 60-100 not only gives you flexibility, it will take side pockets if you want to expand even further, but above all is adjustable for back size and has a fantastic hip belt that transfers the load to your hips as well as anything I have ever carried - and I've tried a good few. If you want it robust and to last forget Osprey and the like.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I have the Sabre 80-130 + side pockets + yoke, without the side pockets and with the expander panels zipped up it goes from massive to big /controllable oh, did I mention it was for sale in the classifieds ;)

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have the Sabre 80-130 + side pockets + yoke, withoutthe side pockets and with the expander panels zipped up it goes from massive to big /controllable oh, did I mention it was for sale in the classifieds ;)

Stunning packs and I have to confess I've returned to your ad more than once or twice as I foolishly sold on my 60-100, but as always, funds are never there when the right kit appears.....

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Stunning packs and I have to confess I've returned to your ad more than once or twice as I foolishly sold on my 60-100, but as always, funds are never there when the right kit appears.....

They are great packs, I got it for a planned trip to Sweden but it's to wide for the toboggan :( it needs to go soon though, I sold the 45 Sabre, broke my heart lol but needs must :)

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Also worth considering the weight of the rucksack itself if you are bothered about that.

I have an 80 litre sack which is great, as i can throw all my stuff in it and dont need to be all that fussy with packing order, but i much rather use my 40 litre as it weighs about 800g itself compared to the 80 litre's 2-3 kg. Is a fair wieght for an empty rucksack.

Plus as others have mentioned, i end up filling the 80 litre with all sorts of stuff "just incase"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE