Portable Cookers in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Anyone know if I'd be able to use a hexy burner (Tommy cooker, or crusader cooker) while driving through France. Just want to be able to make a brew when we stop at a lay-by.

Thanks

Geoff

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I guess it would depend on where the layby is... through France there are many many picnic areas beside roads and some have BBQ facilities, others don't.

If it's just by the roadside I would err on the side of caution and just get a 12v kettle perhaps... maybe a 12v toasted santwich maker too :eek:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i don't know about hexi burners but I've never had a problem with my swedish army mess kits or my trangia when I've made brews before. I guess it will depend on where you are if your in the middle of a very dry pine forest you'll need to use your judgement

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
You might want to check out the legal status of lighting a fire over there. I know a couple of years ago I was mucking about with my brother doing some bushcraft and he mentioned it being illegal to light fires in France.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I think they are quite strict about fires, most particularly the further south you get. Some lands in the summer are prone to droughts and are absolutely tinder dry and it takes little for it to catch fire.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Had a quick search in french Yahoo

Wild camp-site has never been prohibited in France, but on the other hand it is regulated. It is prohibited to camp: -

in woods, forests and national parks, -
on the roads and public highways, -
on the shores of the sea,
in a radius of 200 m around a water point collected for consumption. -
in a classified site or registered voter in the zones of protection of the inheritance of nature and the sites, -
with less than 500 m of a classified or registered historic building, -
in certain zones determined by the municipal or prefectoral authorities.

Used google to translate...don't blame me:rolleyes:

As to fires :nono: :nono: :nono: Don't risk it is probably the thing to do.

C

chipstick

I have gone on cyclo-tours of France many times, the most recent being the whole of May. I am forever stopping off at the side of a road somewhere to make a brew with my little hexy stove (especially this year because of the blasted weather). Although it is technically illegal, if you are by yourself and very polite the French police are generally very reasonable when it comes to interpretation of the law. They can see I won't go causing a forest fire, and that I will take all precautions to avoid one so they are willing to turn a blind eye.
Just because something is illegal doesn't mean that the policeman is going to care.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have just got back last week, light one in the Aires if you wish. I usually do. Do not light a BBQ anywhere near woods. 'Feu de Bois Interdit' is banned fires.

Provence south of Avignon across to monaco fires are banned from april to sept.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE