porches open scheme. your input needed please.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Today i was involved in consultation with the church of England on what could become nationwide scheme to help the homeless and those in need particularly in rural areas.
the scheme basically to leave porches ,where found, on all churches unlocked for use as shelter to those in need,be they homeless,traveler or a person who may have broken down in subzero temps.

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg

obviously just a porch away from the worst of the elements is better than nowt but what we came up with is having a survival box in the porch of every c of e church,about the size of one of those mediaum-large sized clear plastic boxes you see for sale everywhere these days,now here is where i thought you guys might come up with some good ideas of inexpensive and useful stuff to put in it,stuff that could easily be replaced if taken.

so what would you put in it?

Army surplus cheapy sleeping bag or ones donated.
£1.00 type wind up/ dynamo torch.
Leaflets on coping with inclement weather and social help providers.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What a good idea.

My first thought would be Foil blankets and those orange bivi bags help people stay warm and water proof. Also maybe bottle of water and some basic food items like bag of nuts, chocolate and crackers as well as some of those heat pads that can be reused when boiled.

Did think candle and matches but maybe not a good idea could lead to burnt down churches!

Orric

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Today i was involved in consultation with the church of England on what could become nationwide scheme to help the homeless and those in need particularly in rural areas.
the scheme basically to leave porches ,where found, on all churches unlocked for use as shelter to those in need,be they homeless,traveler or a person who may have broken down in subzero temps.

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg

Probably just demonstrating how out of touch I am but .... are there really homeless people in rural areas - I would have thought that people without anywhere to live gravitated towards urban areas as there is generally more stuff /places to shelter there.

More than happy to be put right, as I live in a small village and I am not aware of a homelessness problem in it (in the sense of people living rough - as opposed to sleeping on someone's front room floor - and I'm not aware of that either)

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Shelterox is a recognised charity and its boxes may give some ideas. They tailor the contents to specific areas but the following may give some ideas (and I realise that not all of this can be or should be left in a church porch):

From http://shelterbox.org/about.php?page=9

Shelter
At the heart of every ShelterBox is a disaster relief tent for a large family. The tent has been custom designed and made for us by one of the world’s leading tent manufacturers. We believe it is the best disaster relief tent in the world. It is designed to withstand extreme temperatures, intense UV light, high winds and heavy rainfall. Our tents each have partitions that allow families to divide the space in a way that suits them best. Our tents become more than simple shelter; they become homes.

Have a look inside by clicking on the tent above...

Hope
Children affected by disasters have often been subjected to high levels of trauma. Their worlds are turned upside down and their day-to-day lives changed irrevocably. Our boxes contain small gifts for children to help restore a sense of normality. The children’s activity packs we provide contain drawing books, crayons and pens. For children who have lost all their possessions, these simple items become treasures.

Comfort
A shelter becomes a home when families can live with a degree of comfort. We provide fleece blankets and insulating groundsheets; simple ShelterBox solutions that make a tent much more than just a shelter.

Stability
The rebuilding process is fundamental in a family’s survival. Our boxes contain the tools a family needs to take the first steps on the road to recovery. The tool kit we provide contains a hammer, axe, saw, hoe head, pliers and wire cutters. These items enable a family to improve their immediate environment and, when possible, begin repairing and rebuilding the home they were forced to leave.

Dignity
We believe no corners should be cut when it comes to the business of saving lives. To this end we take great care sourcing every item to ensure it is robust enough to be of lasting value. Every item is durable, practical and brand new. Even the box itself has a variety of purposes and has been used from a water container to a cot for a newborn baby.

Warmth
A key piece of equipment we deliver is either a wood or multi-fuel burning stove. We want shelters to become homes and a stove is integral to any home. It is where water is boiled, food is cooked and families gather. Alongside the stove we provide pots, pans, cooking utensils, bowls and mugs.

Adaptability
We work to the needs relayed back to us from the field and we are able to send specific stand-alone items should they be requested.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Sorry - didn't realise the above would take up so much space and I don't know how to reduce it.

Also ...................

...... has anybody asked homeless people what they want? Eg they may include a packet of cigarettes in their (legal) wish list

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
modern day sanctuary! irrespective of faith or circumstance, a fantastic idea.
+1 to a cheapo sleeping bag or two. oh and the leaflets, would assume most residents to be transient.
althoughth the most important thing would be the appropriate publicity. no point having it available, if no one knows its there.

regards jamie.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Probably just demonstrating how out of touch I am but .... are there really homeless people in rural areas - I would have thought that people without anywhere to live gravitated towards urban areas as there is generally more stuff /places to shelter there.

More than happy to be put right, as I live in a small village and I am not aware of a homelessness problem in it (in the sense of people living rough - as opposed to sleeping on someone's front room floor - and I'm not aware of that either)

there are a good few mate,many leave the towns for safety as its tough on the streets getting regular kikings from **** heads and others as well as those they have clashed with. The 4 local church wardens do find folk often trying to kip in the church or the porches. all the same if it only helped one person it would be what the church is charged with doing as a fundamental part of the faith.As for the on the front room couch homeless ,well thats quite well known here too.
when my family and i were homeless in salisbury we werent classed as homeless by the council as we stayed in a homeless shelter,good for the government figures i suppose.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My Church had a similar ide for one of our own members. We don't have a porch as such but she was given a key to the stoeage room, Unfortunately we were told (by the city) to cease and desist as we didn't have a proper license; and oanother member advised us we would be legally liable if she were injured on the premises.

However the area's Ministerial Association (comprised of ALL denominations) came up with another scheme. Now whenever the tempertature at night is projected to fall below a certain level (I believe it's 45f) one of the Churches in the the association will open it's doors (to the rectory or fellowship hall) every night until the cold snap ends. The Church whose turn it is will have one or more of it's members there as a volunteer handing out hot drinks as needed. This has the added advantage of the refugees being inside the heated space and with access to a working toilet and sink.

But I admit it depends heavily on the Churches' members being willing to volunteer their time.

Last edited:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
modern day sanctuary! irrespective of faith or circumstance, a fantastic idea.
+1 to a cheapo sleeping bag or two. oh and the leaflets, would assume most residents to be transient.
althoughth the most important thing would be the appropriate publicity. no point having it available, if no one knows its there.

regards jamie.

exctly ,the old sanctuary was refered to. the publicity would be asy for an organisation like the church of england , and on a local level posters put in bus shelters and in post office and shop windows would work well.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
My Church had a similar ide for one of our own members. We don't have a porch as such but she was given a key to the stoeage room, Unfortunately we were told (by the city) to cease and desist as we didn't have a proper license; and oanother member advised us we would be legally liable if she were injured on the premises.

However the area's Ministerial Association (comprised of ALL denominations) came up with another scheme. Now whenever the tempertature at night is projected to fall below a certain level (I believe it's 45f) one of the Churches in the the association will open it's doors (to the rectory or fellowship hall) every night until the cold snap ends. The Church whose turn it is will have one or more of it's members there as a volunteer handing out hot drinks as needed. This has the added advantage of the refugees being inside the heated space and with access to a working toilet and sink.

But I admit it depends heavily on the Churches' members being willing to volunteer their time.

sounds good mate.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Just some comments off the top of my head, I guess the challenge is to provide stuff to help folk without being things that kids will want to pinch.

Blankets: They're more flexible and easier to share if more than one person needs them..... and probably slightly less desirable for kids to steal.
Food: i suspect you want stuff thats not too perishable, provides good energy etc. Maybe oat bars.... or even those squeezy peanut butter sachets the red cross use?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think this is a good idea, and I like it. Howevwer, can I add a note of cynicism about how long it will take before most of these boxes would be 'robbed out' by opportunists making the most of a perceived freebie.

I'd like to think that this wouldn't happen, but I suspect it would. :(

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
A few suggestions: Foam mats, Fleece Blankets (more versatile than sleeping bags), Self-heating soup cans or boil in the bag food with heat tiles/ flameless heaters and plastic spoons, Body waste disposal bags (as used on ambulances), Military ration biscuits, and high energy sweets. If you want any more information about any of this kit (suppliers, prices etc.) PM me.

Alan

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
This might seems like a strange suggestion but something that may also be useful to homeless people is if the churches were able to act as postboxes for people without an address.

A lot of problems for homeless folks are made worse by not having a postal address or 'care of' address. Trying to access services such as health care, social services, benefits, etc is a real problem if you don't have anywhere forms or letters can be delivered to. It would also be a useful service for people trying to re-establish contact with family or friends, especially if they've been 'off the grid' for a while.

It could also be worth making contact with some of the homeless charities such as Shelter or your local 'rough sleepers' project (see local council or social services for contact details) as they may be able to give you some insight into what they would suggest would be useful resources as well as having a contact point for you to refer homeless people onto so they could get ongoing support or advice.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
there are a good few mate,many leave the towns for safety as its tough on the streets getting regular kikings from **** heads and others as well as those they have clashed with. The 4 local church wardens do find folk often trying to kip in the church or the porches. all the same if it only helped one person it would be what the church is charged with doing as a fundamental part of the faith.As for the on the front room couch homeless ,well thats quite well known here too.
when my family and i were homeless in salisbury we werent classed as homeless by the council as we stayed in a homeless shelter,good for the government figures i suppose.

OK - thanks for that - I will check out the local position with the Vicar.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Can I just say this is a great idea but don't make it a religious box, i.e. don't put a bible in it make it acceptable to all faiths.

I would go for blankets as a main one, and instant tea / coffee packets with a flask of HOT water, some basic food and bottles of water and if you can during winter warm jackets if you can get them donated (some places will give them to you if they can't be sold or talk to the local trading standards and ask for impounded fake goods if the branding is removed they can be given away I am told). Leaflets from services like the job centre and social services and ones specific to places like drug an alcohol clinics and abused women / abused children places.

I wouldn't put anything like Matches or Alcohol in it could lead to unpleasant circumstances. Another no no is medical stuff by all means have plasters in there but noting as inocuious as a aspirin that whole thing is a legal mine field.

I have a few more ideas but I will post them later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE