Poppies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have been driving past this field of poppies every day on the way to work for a couple of weeks, thinking: I must remember to bring my camera!

Yesterday I took a wander up and took some pics:

poppy1.jpg

poppy2.jpg

poppy5.jpg

poppy3.jpg

poppy7.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a crop in the field - just the poppies. Any suggestions as to why?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
you have to get the seeds from somewhere to go on that yummy bread I guess ;)

nice pics though btw - i particularly like the first one!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hay field, poppies usually grow in the fields farmers leave late for cutting hay.
most farmers use silage now which is just several types of grass but very little flowers.
others still hold hay fields where lots of wildflowers grow, its a massive area for field voles and mice and helps feed the birds of prey as well as a colosal habitat for insects.
then of course you get good dry stuff out of it (if the weather is nice)
shame its dissapearing tho, there's some campaigns at the moment asking farmers to help keep this type of field so the wee beasties can thrive!
Pete

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hay field, poppies usually grow in the fields farmers leave late for cutting hay.
most farmers use silage now which is just several types of grass but very little flowers.
others still hold hay fields where lots of wildflowers grow, its a massive area for field voles and mice and helps feed the birds of prey as well as a colosal habitat for insects.
shame its dissapearing tho, there's some campaigns at the moment asking farmers to help keep this type of field so the wee beasties can thrive!
Pete

Good reply Pete. I'd have said the same. It may just be fallow though rather than hay.

They are the wrong poppies for opium by the way...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Pete

The only other things growing in the field, that I could discern, were thistles. I reckon it's probably just fallow (set aside?).

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Although the wrong poppies for opium, am i right in saying the seeds still taste fantastic in fresh baked bread :D
possibly fallow aye, the last field i saw for hay had a fantastic mix of deep red, pink and yellow with a green undertone. lots of buzzards out that day too ;)

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Although the wrong poppies for opium, am i right in saying the seeds still taste fantastic in fresh baked bread :D
)

We have opium poppies growing here (no I'm not in Afghanistan) they are a medical crop and are just coming into flower - I'll go take some photos later and post them. The crop last year was the first and a bit controversial but apparently not of the same type as the "normal" opium poppy but beautiful all the same and contrast nicely with the traditional red ones growing beside them.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
I read that poppy seeds can lie dormant for many years and need the soil to be disturbed before germinating. This field may have been ploughed last year and left fallow, hence the poppies. I think that is why lots of poppies appeared in the fields in France after the first world war and became a symbol of rememberance.
Nigel

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I believe Afghan poppies have to flower in temperatures above at least 30 degrees centigrade before they produce anything near 'medicinal'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE