Poplar wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yes it's me again looking for some obscure bit of wood for a project.

is anyone chopping or has anyone chopped down a poplar tree? I need to turn a 18 th C style hat block so need a lump of poplar slightly bigger than the 8 inch diameter 6 inch high rounded topped column that it will be when finished. Sort of like a blank for turning a bowl.

atb

tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Poplar, no

Ash or sycamore any good to you mate (just whats lying in big green lumps on the wood pile)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
North Notts is still a heck of a distance Tom, you are of course very welcome. If I sort out an 8" diameter round and bung a chainsaw through it at say 7" will that do?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If it could be a bit bigger in diameter so I can turn it down to 8? but 7 inch high is plenty, thanks!

mind you my maths may be completely out. My head circumference is 25 inches so if we pretend it is round not ovalish that's just under 8inch diameter?

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Formula is Pi D. so D=8 should do it.

Usual rules apply - let me measure up what I have over the weekend and nag me when I forget!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I got tons of the stuff if you want to come and collect it from SW of Winchester.
I can find the lump you need and find out postage if you wish.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Is it glong to be around in a couple of months as we will be going from Oxford to Portsmouth and Butser Ancient farm which I believe means well be passing Winchester.?

Cheers for the offer of course!

ATB

TOM

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Winchester is very close to Bushwacker Bobs - indeed if you are very good he might buy you a beer in our secret drinking haunt :)

PS Sean is a fantastic fellah - but he hides it under a guff exterior - but BB thinks he is "a sweetie pie" :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm had a shufti today. Have a few bits 8"d by 7"d (oval) or one piece a cart load bigger - its the bottom of a Y shaped bit so the grain might be a bit wriggly.

I assume you would prefer the big bit Tom?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Red
back from Oxford. Yup, the big bit if its not too much trouble, feel free to hack it smaller if its excessively bigger than the finished size.

Thanks!

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Tom - this is the best bit I have (broke the chainsaw out in your honour :))

About 8" tall (left some room for the head / tail stock)

Side by British Red, on Flickr

About 11" across one way

Width by British Red, on Flickr
Much the same the other way

Length by British Red, on Flickr

I'm reluctant to cut it down in diameter because its not perfectly round, so it would be better turned down than sawn.

Let me know if its suitable - its green as a green thing - it had leaves coming out of it two weeks back!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well it does when you chuck it in the stove and burn it - which is about the extent of my knowledge :eek:

I can post it if you want Tom - could be pricey though, or I can paint the end grain to slow the drying and splitting and put it in a corner of the barn till you are nearby, which is better for you?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes sense to me :)

It'll be hidden in a stack of potential axe handles that I cut from those ash trees we were toying with for a spear shaft. The best straight bit I got was about 64" so there wasn't a shaft there unless it included some big old knots!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All sealed up - when dry it'll go in the barn covered "don't burn me" pile :).

If Sean has something more suitable (or better seasoned) when you get down to Winchester, let me know and I'll lob it back in the log pile :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE