Oatcake Peel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Inbetween chores and pumping the bag bellows for the middle son (who's making a knife for his GF) I knocked up a oatcake peel from a piece of scrap wood i found. Ive wanted to do one for a while but didn't have anything wide enough. The wood isn't the best for the job, its something like mahogany or teak, brittle stuff, but it was the right size, or as near. What I really need is Elm, sycamore or oak at a push, thats 10.5" by 18 by 1/2 or so. This ones ended up at just under nine inches wide by 17.5 long by half a inch tapering down to nowt on the working end.

cBnPb36.jpg

I tapered the blade on the top side with a block plane and sanded it to death. For once it's not based on a surviving example, just done in the style of. When i've the right wood I'll do a couple of variations, basically some are flat edged and some are round (either all the way round like a long handled table tennis bat or flat at the sides and back. Some are decorated with cut outs, some as plain as the one above.

Before final sanding I squirted superglue into anything even vaguely like a crack and oiled it with food grade linseed oil.

With a band saw with a thin blade it would have taken 20 mins to make. im still waiting on a bolt to fix mine, I wont be using that supplier again.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! It's pretty enough but I doubt it will survive long in use. It will make a good wall hanger! When I've made another and if its survived I'll add some of the traditional cut out decorations to this one.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE