Malaysian Hardwood - Handle Scales.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi,

Not really bushcraft related but I thought some well informed people might be able to help me.
I've come into possession of some hardwood flooring that was going to waste. Was told it is Malaysian hardwood, the flooring is approx 12 inchs wide and 3/4 inch thick. The flooring planks are made up of individual pieces of different woods that have been glued together. The pieces are 1 and 1/4 inch wide (3/4 inch thick) and the planks are 13 foot long.
I started to cut some up for the fire and realised that the wood is actually in really good condition (apart from surface dirt).
They would just need to be cleaned up with a sander and they should come up really nice.
There really is a lovely mix of colours, oranges, reds, light and dark browns and the grain looks good too.
I got on google images for some research on Malaysian hardwoods and think the woods used are types of Meranti, Merbau and Selangen Batu. Just by comparing images of known Malaysian hardwoods with what I had.

It now seems like a massive waste to turn this into firewood and have decided to make some chopping boards (for Xmas presents) and some shelves etc.
It then occurred to me if I split the planks into the separate pieces they might make nice blade handle scales. Or wood for picture frames etc.
However I have little to no experience with working with hardwood or handling blades so some questions.
What kind of power tools would I need? That is what's the best way to sand down these ex floorboards orbital or belt sander?
What kind of saw to use, Jigsaw or circular saw?
Does anyone have experience of turning hardwood boards like this back into pieces of hardwood?
Is 1 1/4inch by 3/4inch the big enough for handle scales? I've measured some of my knife handles and it seems like it would be, but I don't have experience to know what size you need before shaping etc.
Are these types of hardwood (Meranti, Merbau and Selangen Batu) any good for knife handles? (or chopping boards for that matter).
That is, is it worth my while to salvage this wood or is there already plenty of this stuff out there?

Actually if anybody wants to make any suggestions or observations I would very much like to hear them.
I will try to borrow a camera to take some photos ASAP

Many thanks in advance.
Ken

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If they were in place on the floor, a belt sander. As it was flooring, I'd expect quite "hard" wood for the wear and tear of foot traffic.
3/4" thick should be OK for the thickness of the scales. I know that I need a wood carver's knife blank 7/8" square as a start for handles.

Cut some and save the rest unless you are about to freeze your buns off without the fire.
A circular saw will destroy a kerf of 1/8" so that should take care of the joints and glue.
The jigsaw will have a thinner kerf, I'm guessing 1/16, maybe 3/32, but I don't cut that much with it and never in a straight line!
Just bought a Dremel Saw-Max, not used yet. Could be less than 1/16, diamond blade at 17,000rpm but max 3/4" deep cuts.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Flooring timber will make good handles and good chopping boards - a crying shame to burn that stuff; dimensions will be ok for scales, they only need to be a smidge bigger than the largest finished dimension you need for the tool. Finish with Walnut or Tung oil to bring out the colour and figuring in the wood.

That's what I'd be doing with it, anyway :)

Nearly forgot; random orbital sander for the chopping boards and finish along the grain by hand.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Dimensions are fine for scales. As for power tools you don't NEED them per se but a belt sander can make your life much easier. Saw wise avoid jig and circular. Cut it out on a scroll saw if you have one if not nip down to B&Q or somewhere and get a coping saw. They're only a few quid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE