Pop UpTent Quality

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
I know this may sound strange,but the other day,i came across a post at an online camping forum,where one of the members said that a BBC programme called: Departure Lounge,submitted three tents to testing.The pop up tent tested was a Quechua Tent,but the other two brands were not mentioned.all he says is one cost £100.00 and the other tent was a £500.00 mountain tent.the poster says the following:
Each tent was tested in laboratory conditions,being subjected to an artificial cloudburst and then exposed to 70 mph winds in a wind tunnel.The 2-second Quechua came out on top - it was still coping after both the more expensive and (allegedly) technical tents had been pushed beyond their limits.

Has anyone seen this programme,or know if it is true?

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I don't know if it's true but the pop-up tents look like giant frisbees when packed away and I wouldn't want to be walking in the gales mentioned with one on my back.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't know if it's true but the pop-up tents look like giant frisbees when packed away and I wouldn't want to be walking in the gales mentioned with one on my back.

True but I think the point of the test was stability when erected.

From a design point of view, these results are no surprise:

The Quechua tent is a 'single unit' - you can't disassemble it and, whilst for some people this is a disadvantage, it makes the system very robust as the anchor points for the 'poles' don't have to be removable. The inner is joined to the outer is joined to the poles.

From what I remember about my tent, all of the poles are joined at the ends so they make circles: therefore, stress is distributed equally and not at a point (the end of a pole).

The very flexible nature of the pole material (that allows the tent to be folded/twisted into its bag) helps alleviate wind-load.

The design is either tunnel or geodesic (sorry - can't remember) - these are naturally stable shapes.

The bottom line is that these 2" tents are highly stable and very stong; however, the very factors that contribute to stability and ease of use mean that you can't really use it for backpacking as it will only fold into a disc shape.

They are, in my opinion, excellent value and I have never had any problems with mine over nearly 3 years of use.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I discounted them as a gimmick but it looks like my prejudice was unfounded.

So did I, then I arrived at a campsite in Switzerland in the pouring rain, set my tent up in about 1 minute (including pegging down) then made brews whilst my mate spent 20 mins doing his Vango Force 10.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
I found this video of how to fold a quechua pop up tent today.i will post the link,as it is better than the usual videos.it shows how the guy uses the bend,folding and the twist technique very clearly.it still looks complicated to me.
Thank you for all the replies and advice.I feel slightly gutted at the moment,as i have spent a couple of years saving up for top tents: a terra nova solar and a eureka k2 xt,to keep me dry incase i lose my home (which won't be long if the prices of food,gas bills etc keep soaring),...and i've just discoved a cheap quechua tent will do the job just aswell.
Does anyone know,which quechua pop up tent,is the best for a guy on the road? one which can hack the elements well,and is light enough to carry,and has a decent chanced to stand up to a medium snow fall in the uk?

here is the link to the video,which also shows how bulky it is,aswell as how circular and big it is.

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch?v=OEzzZvGFKX4

Thank you for any help any one may be able to give me.A little extra,i will be strapping it on my back,as affording a car is out of the question for me.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Does anyone know,which quechua pop up tent,is the best for a guy on the road? one which can hack the elements well,and is light enough to carry,and has a decent chanced to stand up to a medium snow fall in the uk?
Thank you for any help any one may be able to give me.A little extra,i will be strapping it on my back,as affording a car is out of the question for me.

I'd say the smallest (2 seconds simple 1). It only weighs 2,4kg. has an inside room of 90 to 210 and packed it obviously has the smallest diameter: 55cm. Unfortunately no small porch or anything, but if you'd want the extra protection/convenience of a porch you'd have to get a 2 person version (2 seconds XL 2) which is much heavier: 3.9kg with inside of 145*220cm² and a porch of about 65*150cm² and a diameter of 72cm... Smallest 2 person without porch (2 seconds simple 2) weighs 2.7 with inside room of 120*210cm² and packed size of 62cm. Hope that helps (you could offcourse just have a look at their website: http://seconds.quechua.com/ )

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
Thank you so very much Lasse2,that is a great help,and a real load off my mind.I do not feel as worried and confused now,and seeing as it weighs about the same as my terra nova solar tent,it will not be a psychological drag once it starts feeling heavy after a long journey.once again,thank you very much Lasse2,i deeply appreciate your kind consideration in helping me out.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thank you so very much Lasse2,that is a great help,and a real load off my mind.I do not feel as worried and confused now,and seeing as it weighs about the same as my terra nova solar tent,it will not be a psychological drag once it starts feeling heavy after a long journey.once again,thank you very much Lasse2,i deeply appreciate your kind consideration in helping me out.
No problem mate, always nice to help!
Oh and feel free to call me Lasse ;) (original account "Lasse" was broken so created Lasse2...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE