Poor show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
whilst I agree with your sentiment about not breaking laws etc. that line from the landowner about "wild habitat area" sounds like a load of horse manure.

next think they will be saying is that it was full of crested newts, barn owls or bats etc.

No, it's quite common to give access to a woodland area for walking. It's often encouraged by the local countryside rangers for specific natural events. Bluebells in full bloom kind of thing, easter egg hunts, badger watches and the like. Many estates plant up areas of native flora as reservoirs/hold outs of the old Caledonian forests. Many are on land that is too gnarly to ever have been much used anyway.
Locally the gills (steep sided burn gorges) are being encouraged as set asides just like those.

We already have the right of responsible access, but this set up really does look like it's extracting the urine on that :rolleyes: and concerned the landowner enough that the police have been contacted about damage.

We also have laws about using airguns on someone else's land without permission, or using them where public access allows folks to walk….distance to footpaths and the like. Airguns need to be licenced here.

We'll what we see, but I think this looks like adults building a campsite on someone else's land without a thought about anyone else having access, or about the damage they were doing.

M

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
We also have laws about using airguns on someone else's land without permission, or using them where public access allows folks to walk….distance to footpaths and the like. Airguns need to be licenced here.

We'll what we see, but I think this looks like adults building a campsite on someone else's land without a thought about anyone else having access, or about the damage they were doing.

M

that bit is insane. its armed trespass with an air rifle which is a criminal offence with 3 months jail sentence!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
that bit is insane. its armed trespass with an air rifle which is a criminal offence with 3 months jail sentence!

Aye, cos I bet none of us on this forum have ever poached on someone elses land.
Nope, no siree.
Nothing to see here, move on.

Anyway, does anyone know the main use for Loctite?
Where's that whistling smilie?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
E=Macaroon;1819051]Half a mile from the farmhouse, though? Why not just ask?

Folk that do something like this on a small island like ours will always be peeing in someone's back yard, and we just don't really cater for them in the same way as places that have unbounded space.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
=demographic;1819170]Aye, cos I bet none of us on this forum have ever poached on someone elses land.
Nope, no siree.
Nothing to see here, move on.

Anyway, does anyone know the main use for Loctite?
Where's that whistling smilie?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Long and short of it... They should not have done it, true. I see one cut tree and one cut trunk used in the hut. They made mountain bike trails not 4x4's. The fire scar seems a bit big but they are not bushcrafters. As the comments from the article state, the owner would not allow access for flood defense so what chance permission? A bit of unused landed to claim an EU grant does not amount to Stewardship! I still think the balance is in their favour.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very sloppy handling. If that was my land, and I found something like that, I would be investing in a bunch of trail-cams before telling the local media and hanging a huge "Stay Away" sign on the place.

Yes, these people built a bin for their rubbish, but I would only give them full marks if they were going to dismantle all their constructions and pack them back out of the woods when they were eventually finished with them. The likelihood of them doing so though seems pretty slim. A building like that is going to be a mouldering eyesore for many years after it is abandoned.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As this could run and run with no end in sight can I suggest that we all hang on to our opinions, unspoken, and let this thread die without having to trouble the mods. Peace out as they say.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Wait a minute Hammock_man - aren't you the one who in an earlier post stated that you hoped that "we can express an opinion" (here) and now you want to close the thread down! :lmao:

Here's mine pal -

+1 for Toddy; (and Macaroon)

As a person who helps to look after land I am all too familiar with the type of event in the OP - and worse. And it IS becoming more and more prevalent.

Safety issues aside, taken in isolation it is easy to suggest that, "they weren't doing any harm" - really? So how many such events should the landowner have accepted on their property before it does become unacceptable? How much of our (yes - VERY limited) woodland needs to be trashed before even the weak excuses dry up?

Conversely - in my experience these type of events are on the increase because of a lack of relevant education -somewhere in the 'system' - at home? at school? in out of school organisations? (I've even come across scout leaders who have behaved in this way!) And plain bad attitudes towards other people's property.

If the right way to behave whilst out in the countryside isn't promoted above all IN THIS COMMUNITY then where?!!

And that is why Toddy has nailed it.[/U]

You can shut the thread down Hammock_man :lmao:

Toddy has just about nailed it.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
So the thread is going to run and run and never the two shall meet.
So how many such events should the landowner have accepted
Would he have accepted any?
lack of relevant education
Totally agree
If the right way to behave whilst out in the countryside
How many links to youtube are on this forum that show people cutting down trees to make beds, 10 log fires that can burn for 24 hours.
The Pennine way is being ruined by people walking it, they even had to lay down flagstones in some places!!! It is a sad fact that the countryside would stay wonderful if only people did not use it (but that does not apply to me of course)!
I do not own land, I do not know anyone who owns land to let me play. I do not have access to an area where I can play other than my back yard ( and the Moot). This must and does colour my view. If it was the children of the landowner that did this where would be the harm, where would be the outcry.
Is the countryside only to be walked by old ladies and their dogs, was "kinder scout" a waste of time.
Leave no trace is truely a fine ideal but does not work when 500 people want to play in the same area.

This camp was not the height of wanton destruction but sure as eggs are eggs, a smaller neater one would still not have been allowed.

I do not think you will agree with me at all and I defend to the death your right to do so. I was thinking this thread could go round and round for a 100 posts or more, lets save the mods some time and end it volunatarily. I never, and nor do I have the power, required it to end.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Hmmm I'm unsure on this one;

Would want someone to build this in my back garden? No (but i wouldn't want dog walkers on there either)

Have I in the past built bike ramps and dens in the woods? Yes

At the time when i was building bike ramps and dens I wasn't aware anybody owned wood lands and to be honest i never thought about it. I was just under-the impression they were for everyone to use and with many of them having no borders, signs or fencing how was i to know?

Did anyone confront the people building this at the time? it doesn't look like it went up overnight, maybe they were in the same position i was and are unaware they are doing anything wrong.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Most of the land in this country is owned by a privileged few, has been for eons, and probably always will be.

I will accept that what these 'kids' did is wrong - technically - but it was the same privileged few that own all the land, that made up all the rules!

The vast majority of the population have to scratch around in the limited space left over, where everything seems to be prohibited.

Of course there have to be laws to protect peoples property and maybe these 'kids' went too far this time, but I dont have much sympathy for rich land owners who want to keep vast tracts of land all to themselves and make a big deal out of naff all.

Now I must dash, next doors kids are in my garden looking for their ball - "Jeeves get my horse ready and fetch the hounds" :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, no, no…you're missing the point.

There is no 'technicality', it's illegal here to have an airgun and to use it on private property without express permission. It's also illegal to use it near public footpaths.
It is illegal to cut down someone else's trees. That's destruction of property.

To be somewhere just for a walk, or to quietly camp, outside of the curtiledge of a demesne, farmlands or SSSI's or Scheduled ancient monuments, is fine.

To build permanent structures, to create bike trails, to set up firearm ranges, is most certainly not.

M

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I see both sides of this. As a kid, myself and mates would pack our survival tins with useless stuff we'd never use, grab the air rifles, and head off across the fields to make camps, have fires etc. It didn't really occur to us we were breaking the law, it was just fun. Ok, we didn't build a shed, but we made elaborate camps where we cooked and sometimes spent a night. Innocent fun really, no damage done.

But, only in hindsight do I realise we weren't allowed to be doing what we were doing and understand the landowners objection. Not encouraging this sort of behaviour, but it's a much healthier lifestyle for a youngster than graffiti, vandalism, drink, drugs, or more serious crime.

I completely agree with you.
Boys will be boys!

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
Save and buy a couple of acres! Land that is useless for farming or horses and is away from towns and cities is not that expensive.

I have access to loads of farmland because of my deer stalking.

I think its a shame that there is not common land like in America for most people to have access to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE