Poor quality chinese sewing needles.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Over the last few years i have found that the only needles available on the high street seem to be the cheapo made in china needles,in my vast experience with them the y bend,snap,the eyes deform or snap and generally are not fit for purpose,i was despairing at it,until a bought a box of old sewing bits at the dump,in it were some vintage 'milward' brand needles made in the once home of worldwide needle making , Redditch. now these needles are brilliant probably 50 years old and still in the packet they are sharp,dont bend at all the eyes are a good size for threading and dont deform,i for one will never buy those Chinese needles again for sure,so to source more i looked on ebay under 'vintage sewing needles' and found loads,quite cheap too ,one vendor selling 20 packet for a fiver! so if like me you want some quality hastle free needles get and buy some vintage ones!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, to all these comments.
Modern needles (JJ apart, and a couple of Spanish makers) are carpy :(
If it says pony on it, I don't even bother, they go straight into the bin.
I sew constantly, bad needles are not worth the effort.

Old ones, even slightly rusted, are worth doing up. They were meant to be used, and sharpened, they will take care and handling.

If you look through a magnifying glass the state of the eyes of modern needles compared to the old ones is truly horrifying.

Not so very long ago someone on ebay was selling unpacketed, but on the black papers, Redditch needles that were meant to be put into army hussifs, from around WW2, I think he said. If those come back up again, buy them. For most folks the selection in those was absolutely excellent.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've never looked back since Toddy introduced me to the joy of old needles. i pick up any i find now on car boots or in the old sewing boxes of elderly relatives.

Shire do a booklet on the old way of making needles and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy second hand. A remarkable amount of work went in them in the old days.

ATB

Tom

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Yes, to all these comments.
Modern needles (JJ apart, and a couple of Spanish makers) are carpy :(
If it says pony on it, I don't even bother, they go straight into the bin.
I sew constantly, bad needles are not worth the effort.

Old ones, even slightly rusted, are worth doing up. They were meant to be used, and sharpened, they will take care and handling.

If you look through a magnifying glass the state of the eyes of modern needles compared to the old ones is truly horrifying.

Not so very long ago someone on ebay was selling unpacketed, but on the black papers, Redditch needles that were meant to be put into army hussifs, from around WW2, I think he said. If those come back up again, buy them. For most folks the selection in those was absolutely excellent.

cheers,
Toddy

what needles would you use to sew a wool blanket? my mind boggles at all the variations on offer lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is this for a bushshirt ? If you're sewing it using wool then find short wool darners. That's not the thick blunt ended needles I hasten to add, those are for sewing knitted garments together. Darners are long sharp needles and ones meant for wool and they have large eyes.

I've had a look at the John James website, thinking at least there we 'know' what they're selling rather than me sending you off on a scour looking for something that's unfamiliar to you. I sew using as fine a needle as I can; most folks find them way too small. These ones should be fine for most folks since they do come in assorted sizes.

Chenille darners or short cotton darners are what I would advise you use if using fine wool to sew blankets.
http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Chenille-Sizes-13%252d28-%252d-Envelope-.html

http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Envelope-Short{47}Cotton-Darners.html

If you're going to use ordinary sewing thread, then large sharps would do fine too, but they've got small eyes, while either of the two sets I linked to above would do very well in small sizes.

atb,
M

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Is this for a bushshirt ? If you're sewing it using wool then find short wool darners. That's not the thick blunt ended needles I hasten to add, those are for sewing knitted garments together. Darners are long sharp needles and ones meant for wool and they have large eyes.

I've had a look at the John James website, thinking at least there we 'know' what they're selling rather than me sending you off on a scour looking for something that's unfamiliar to you. I sew using as fine a needle as I can; most folks find them way too small. These ones should be fine for most folks since they do come in assorted sizes.

Chenille darners or short cotton darners are what I would advise you use if using fine wool to sew blankets.
http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Chenille-Sizes-13-28---Envelope-.html

http://www.jjneedles.com/products/Envelope-Short{47}Cotton-Darners.html

If you're going to use ordinary sewing thread, then large sharps would do fine too, but they've got small eyes, while either of the two sets I linked to above would do very well in small sizes.

atb,
M

grand thanks :D

matt

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I sew a lot of thin leather where its not worth going the whole Awl-stitching route, instead I use a blunt and a glover's needle to double stitch.

Good glover's needles have to be ordered as the odd ones in the sets that you can find in most shops are garbage..... Thanks for the links as I can now cut out the middle-man and buy direct.

Also I tend to use Darners as I have problems feeling where small needles are due to calluses on my fingertips

ETA. Free postage over £15?... Thats not hard to reach
Just spotted Carpet Sharps...Those are monsters :)

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I recently bought two packets of John James needles. I've been very happy with the packet I bought about twenty years ago, but they are packed away with the rest of my workshop, so when I went out looking for new tools and supplies I picked these up...

harness_needles_JohnJames_01.jpg

I wasn't very happy when I looked at the back of the packets.

harness_needles_JohnJames_4_reverse.jpg

harness_needles_JohnJames_3-0_reverse.jpg

I've not started using them yet, but who knows how they'll shape up...

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that is bad news :sigh:

Do me a favour ? Have a good look at the eye and the point ? and try and see if the needle will bend just between your fingers.

Some good needles will slowly curve with use, but they should not 'bend'. If it snaps or breaks on you, I'll send you replacements......good ones that is :)

If these are not good, then we'll remove the recommendation and contact JJ and complain.

cheers,
M

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I recently bought two packets of John James needles. I've been very happy with the packet I bought about twenty years ago, but they are packed away with the rest of my workshop, so when I went out looking for new tools and supplies I picked these up...

harness_needles_JohnJames_01.jpg

I wasn't very happy when I looked at the back of the packets.

harness_needles_JohnJames_4_reverse.jpg

harness_needles_JohnJames_3-0_reverse.jpg

I've not started using them yet, but who knows how they'll shape up...

I noticed the same. When looking for the best quality needles, I thought I had found some, but when I looked on the back I too was soon disappointed:(It seems almost everything is made there.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It seems almost everything is made there.

The super power economy, fueled by selling the poorest quality items on the planet! shocking really.

I wonder how hard it is to make a needle? does it require smelting, presses, moulds etc?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Here's how I would do it.

• I would buy carbon steel wire on reels.
  • A machine unwinds it from the reel, straightens and cuts to length.
  • Each length falls goes into a centreless grinder to be shaped, then the eye is punched.
  • Then it is hardened & tempered, and then back to another centreless grinder for a polish.
  • Final inspection and maybe point grinding by hand.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The super power economy, fueled by selling the poorest quality items on the planet! shocking really.

I wonder how hard it is to make a needle? does it require smelting, presses, moulds etc?

Fueled by the wests demand for lower and lower prices...

Japanese cars started this way, now they're at the more reliable end of the market.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I have enough old needles to see me out :) The quality is superb :approve: I'm sorry to hear that JJ has switched any production to another country :sigh: and since I don't know how good they are now, I shan't recommend them.

Interested to hear from others who have the opportunity to compare though.

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
In fairness, the Chinese can produce stuff to whatever specification you define. If you want high quality they are more than capable of doing it. Look at Danaher tools - superb quality (branded as Halfords Professional, Draper Expert etc.). Yes, there is carp out there but that's because it's specified as such to keep the price down

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE